Help support TMP

"ESR Napoleonics at Dakota Game Con" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in the USA Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Back to the Historical Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with Napoleonics Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

983 hits since 1 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Wargaming Company02 Oct 2017 6:21 a.m. PST

One of our many games at Dakota Game Con using ESR Napoleonics in 15mm, early war French vs a Russo-Prussian Army. Four players, lots of terrific stories.

Check out more photos and an AAR in our Gallery.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian02 Oct 2017 10:53 a.m. PST

Where is Dakota Game Con?

The Wargaming Company02 Oct 2017 11:51 a.m. PST

Brookings, South Dakota. It was our first time attending. We planned to run three games… I think we ended up running five or six. Had an awful lot of interest. Nice venue as well.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian02 Oct 2017 2:24 p.m. PST

Wrong end of SD for me :(

rulesquestor02 Oct 2017 4:05 p.m. PST

I normally buy rules given the slightest chance and ESR rules look interesting, but the pricing is crazy. No other set I know comes close to this cost. $60 USD for what you need and another $5 USD for a qrs sheet that other sets provide as normal..
Plus delivery cost to U.K.?
Sorry but that's why most of us have been giving them a miss.

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP02 Oct 2017 4:24 p.m. PST

I normally buy rules given the slightest chance and ESR rules look interesting, but the pricing is crazy. No other set I know comes close to this cost. $60 USD US

Ruesquestor:

Uh, you need to get out more… Black Powder is $50 USD as is the Rommel Bundle. Do some comparison with quality and content, let alone the # of pages. Then again, if you buy the average board game, you are looking at at least that.

I can understand why you gave them a pass, but the price for quality isn't all that unreasonable.

The Wargaming Company02 Oct 2017 4:37 p.m. PST

rulesquestor,

Sorry you feel that way. There quite a few wargaming rule sets that are in the same price bracket as ESR, so we can't speak to your experience. With that said, a couple points of clarification:

We actually sell quite a number of our copies in the UK, which is why we offer direct shipping (at cost), but also offer fulfillment by Magister Militum for a lesser charge, and lastly, since Magister Militum carries our products, you can purchase them directly in the UK from Magister for the lowest possible shipping cost.

The Essential Player's Guide is 30% less than The Complete Player's Guide, and if you are simply looking for the rules, it is there they be. You can play from it without anything additional.

You may also notice the Quick Reference Guides are available for free download on our website at a variety of scales. They are also included as the back cover of both The Complete Player's Guide and The Essential Player's Guide.

So, if you really are interested, we would recommend you download The Overview, a free PDF that is the rule book with the procedures of the mechanics and the examples stripped. If you like the concepts you read about, hit up Magister Militum and pick up a copy of The Essential Player's Guide while saving on shipping.

And please remember, you can always download the Quick Reference Guide in whichever scale you like, for free, from our website.

PS, We ought add that if you've got questions or curiosities – we're always happy to answer them via the ESR Yahoo Group.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

rulesquestor03 Oct 2017 5:44 a.m. PST

I normally buy rules given the slightest chance and ESR rules look interesting, but the pricing is crazy. No other set I know comes close to this cost. $95 USD for what you need and another $5 USD for a qrs sheet that other sets provide as normal..
Plus delivery cost to U.K.?
Sorry but that's why most of us have been giving them a miss.

rulesquestor03 Oct 2017 5:52 a.m. PST

Thanks for your reply. It's appreciated.
@mcladdie I bought Rommel as PDF for 20$ which gives me a reasonable chance to evaluate if I like the rules before committing further. And I get out plenty thanks ;)

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP03 Oct 2017 5:55 a.m. PST

mcladdie I bought Rommel as PDF for 20$

Good for you. Then you haven't bought Longstreet with its cards. Point being, there are game rules as expensive… Providing ESR as a PDF might help here.

WKeyser24 Oct 2017 10:22 p.m. PST

I got my copy from Magister Militum in the UK, sent to me in Denmark.

I think these are great value, the quality of design and completness is great.
William

The Wargaming Company25 Oct 2017 6:09 a.m. PST

William:

I got my copy from Magister Militum in the UK, sent to me in Denmark.

I think these are great value, the quality of design and completness is great.

Thank you, that is very kind. Please be aware of the Yahoo Discussion Group and our Announcements Mailing List.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

TRUgamer25 Oct 2017 6:42 a.m. PST

In the end it comes down to value… ESR is an exceptional value given the quality and support.

TRU

The Wargaming Company30 Oct 2017 6:06 a.m. PST

Thank you TRUgamer, that is very kind praise.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.