Help support TMP

"Shooting through other models" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

424 hits since 1 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP01 Oct 2017 1:53 p.m. PST

I played in a 40K tournament yesterday. had a lot of fun and won a prize for best-painted army. But one ruling that the guy in charge made has me puzzled. I asked whether tall units like a vehicle or dreadnought were allowed to fire over friendly troops in front of them. I'm still new to 8th edition and couldn't remember if this was the case. The ruling said that NO models, friend or enemy, block fire! Now I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The rules state that models in the firing figure's own unit don't block fire, but is says only that other than that it is WYSIWYG. Does that mean that if I can crouch down and stare along the barrel of a gun and see even the teeny tiniest part of a enemy model, I can fire at it even though I'm shooting clear across the table through two friendly units and three enemy units?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP01 Oct 2017 1:56 p.m. PST

"I beg your pardon Sire, won't we hit our own troops?"

Dan
https://m.imgur.com/9E9JTmT

The H Man01 Oct 2017 6:39 p.m. PST

This has already been covered (pardon the pun) on this board. Just scroll down the list.

40k madness what the heck does line of sight even mean.

Look for that.

Puddinhead Johnson03 Oct 2017 1:27 p.m. PST

Does that mean that if I can crouch down and stare along the barrel of a gun and see even the teeny tiniest part of a enemy model, I can fire at it even though I'm shooting clear across the table through two friendly units and three enemy units?

That's my understanding as well. Before you shout "that's unrealistic!" consider that it is a design decision to promote ease of play. It's a game and they wanted to simplify things.

Some people feel it detracts from the tactics since you can't realistically use most units to block LOS (putting your infantry behind a Land Raider will likely still work). That may be true, but it's really just a matter of taste, not an objective truth.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP03 Oct 2017 3:18 p.m. PST

Wow, I guess I should make all the banners and such on my models removable so they don't suffer the dreaded "Death by Heraldry" :)

VonTed04 Oct 2017 4:35 a.m. PST

The way I read the rules is that friendly models in your unit do not block LOS, but other friendly units DO block LOS.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Oct 2017 5:01 a.m. PST

That is the way I read it as well. You can shoot through the models own unit but not other friendly units.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Oct 2017 7:42 a.m. PST

That would make sense, but unfortunately, the rules read that WYSIWYG and if you can see the target unit at all, it doesn't matter how many other units, friend or foe, are in the way. You can thread your shot between legs, under arms and around heads and hit the unit you want. I was at a tournament last weekend and that was the official ruling there. If you can see the target at all (crouching down and looking) you can shoot at it. The thread that The H Man mentions seems to support that interpretation and there's nothing in the rules to contradict it.

VonTed04 Oct 2017 6:16 p.m. PST

That is when I would pack up my toys and leave

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.