Help support TMP

"Vietnam War documentaries" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Vietnam War Message Board

625 hits since 28 Sep 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Art29 Sep 2017 4:20 a.m. PST

G'Day Gents

I have some old Hinchliffe figures…that are decent enough to make battalions using them…

I see that Hinds Figures LTD sells the figures I need to put a few battalions at normal game strength…

Does anyone know if this is a good company to deal with?

Best Regards
Art

Personal logo Saginaw Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2017 4:21 a.m. PST

NOTE: This topic should not be interpreted nor used as a platform for political opinions nor discussion. This is just a poll simply gauging choices.

Of the documentaries made so far concerning the Vietnam War, which of the following told a complete story about all aspects and views of the conflict?

1. 'The Vietnam War' (2017)
2. 'Vietnam in HD' (2011)
3. 'Battlefield: Vietnam' (1999)
4. 'Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam' (1987)
5. 'Vietnam: A Television History' (1983)
6. 'Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War' (1980-82)
7. 'The World of Charlie Company' (1970)
8. 'The Anderson Platoon' (1968)
9. 'The Mills of the Gods: Viet Nam' (1965)
10. other (explain)
11. none of these/no opinion

Art29 Sep 2017 4:27 a.m. PST

Well Saginaw…

Seems our two postings merged into one…

Thus it would seem that while no trees were harmed to send our merged message. it would be quite true in saying that a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Best Regards
Art

Ferd4523129 Sep 2017 4:52 a.m. PST

First Hinds is a GREAT company to deal with. Contact them. Second, I think the Burns doc series on Vietnam was the best I have seen so far. I was disappointed that some areas were not as well covered as I would have liked; but the coverage was the most comprehensive I have seen. H 11th ACR 70-71.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2017 5:05 a.m. PST

3. 'Battlefield: Vietnam' (1999)

Personal logo Saginaw Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2017 6:45 a.m. PST

No problem, Art. I'll repost my topic. You may want to repost your topic, as well.

Thank you, Art. You're a good man.

thumbs up

Personal logo Cyrus the Great Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2017 8:16 a.m. PST

1. I, especially, liked the interviews with the Viet Minh, NLF and NVA soldiers. A lot of information from the other side that was new to me.

Garand29 Sep 2017 9:07 a.m. PST

Really liked the Burns series. Seemed pretty thorough though a few areas were glossed over for expediency. I also really liked #6 as my second choice (used to be my first before the Burns series).

Damon.

USAFpilot Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2017 11:12 a.m. PST

1. I don't remember the others. I don't think any documentary is ever going to cover "all" aspects or be completely unbiased; but I think Burns did a pretty good job. I also liked hearing from the VC and NVA soldiers. I think the first episode on the history of Vietnam was the most educational for me.

nevals29 Sep 2017 2:44 p.m. PST

Burns' series is available on YouTube. Unfortunately, it is Vietnamese version: voices in English are subtitled in Vietnamese, voices in Vietnamese are not translated in English. Older PBS series is also on YouTube. I would go with 1.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2017 10:13 p.m. PST

1. 'The Vietnam War' (2017)

Tyler326 Supporting Member of TMP30 Sep 2017 3:34 a.m. PST

Why is this posted in a Napoleonic board?

USAFpilot Supporting Member of TMP30 Sep 2017 1:17 p.m. PST

Why is this posted in a Napoleonic board?

Maybe something to do with the 'Spanish Ulcer'.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP30 Sep 2017 1:45 p.m. PST

As a Napoleonic follower…let me vote for Letters from Nam…..that opening sequence with the parade and Springsteen singing "Born in the USA"

OK the truth is more about how veterans were treated and Born on the Fourth of etc.

We were so lucky in the UK, to be kept out of it.

Few decades on, they are now everyone's friends, they fought a war of liberation and they are a holiday destination. The tunnels of Cu Chi are widened for tourists… Hue Citadel is a Cultural Heritage. The Mekong Delta no-one wants to see as it is a malarial hell hole, still.

I always remember the line from some film…was it "The Boys from Co C"?…. Charlie is in the wire, the Pig is jammed, Broken Arrow on us…all you do is say…over and over again…"It Don't Mean Nuthin"….

I have done that many times in much less stressful moments…..
It never fails. I realise how lucky I am and have always been.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.