Help support TMP

"Do You Order by Phone?" Topic

45 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Hobby Industry Message Board

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

Action Log

11 Sep 2017 10:58 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Crossposted to Hobby Industry board

601 hits since 10 Sep 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian11 Sep 2017 10:58 a.m. PST

When you order your wargaming supplies, do you make a phone call to the manufacturer/retailer/company to place the order?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 11:01 a.m. PST

Sometimes.

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 11:15 a.m. PST

I've ordered by phone. In that I've used my phone to order online.

MajorB11 Sep 2017 11:26 a.m. PST

I have done a few times.

GatorDave Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 11:34 a.m. PST

Not in years. Everything I need is online now.

Disco Joe11 Sep 2017 11:36 a.m. PST

Never.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 11:47 a.m. PST

Sometimes. Mostly on line these days.

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 11:49 a.m. PST

I don't ever recall doing it.

Joes Shop Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 11:53 a.m. PST

Rarely.

Personal logo PzGeneral Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 12:00 p.m. PST

Nope

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 12:05 p.m. PST

No.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 12:16 p.m. PST

I've called The Warstore and ordered GW stuff that way. I used to call Doug at MSC to roder, now I do it by email.

Personal logo legatushedlius Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 12:20 p.m. PST

No. I hate making phone calls.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 12:32 p.m. PST

Nope

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 12:45 p.m. PST

Someimes, particularly when I want to check that everything is in stock.

Personal logo Doctor X Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 1:04 p.m. PST

I thought phones were only used to watch funny videos and type messages on tiny keyboards. Who knew you could use one to talk to another person?

JimDuncanUK11 Sep 2017 1:06 p.m. PST

Nope!

rustymusket Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 1:24 p.m. PST

I have but now usually it is on-line.

Garand11 Sep 2017 1:45 p.m. PST

Back in the day I did, but in this modern era of internet webshops, I don't see the point. If I have to call to make an order that actually pushes me a way from doing it these days…too inconvenient when there are better options out there…

Damon.

Personal logo Stosstruppen Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 2:12 p.m. PST

no

nsolomon9911 Sep 2017 2:46 p.m. PST

Not any more, its either face-to-face at the FLGS or its on-line via a WebSite and even with a Website I typically now want to see photos and pictures of the figures/products I'm going to order. There are still some older sites out there with just lists of catalogue numbers and a 6 word description, and I don't deal with them either.

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 2:52 p.m. PST

Not in nearly years.

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 2:54 p.m. PST

Yes, I have. The folks at Wargame Accessories were a great help figuring out my order.

Wargamer Blue11 Sep 2017 3:06 p.m. PST

A phone call from Australia to the US or UK will cost more than the figures I buy.

Personal logo Cyrus the Great Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 3:16 p.m. PST

I used to, but order online now or in person at the local game store.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 3:17 p.m. PST

Not in years. I did call Foundry in England about 15 or so years ago.

Dynaman878911 Sep 2017 4:03 p.m. PST

Never – only ordered by phone once in my entire life. If I have to call for customer support rather than have an email answered promptly I'll be peeved about that too.

Ivan DBA11 Sep 2017 4:28 p.m. PST

Years ago. A couple times I even made an international call to order Peter Pig Miniatures from the U.K.!

Personal logo The Nigerian Lead Minister Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 5:03 p.m. PST

With the internet? Not in years!

Personal logo Florida Tory Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 5:15 p.m. PST

Blue moons are more common.

Rick

goragrad11 Sep 2017 5:17 p.m. PST

Actually just called an out of town printshop a couple of weeks ago.

If I were to order again from Bookhurst probably. Better chance of finding out just what the stock is than with their website.

But most hobby related orders are online.

Oberlindes Sol LIC11 Sep 2017 7:25 p.m. PST

Talk to someone on the telephone? Wouldn't it be faster and less prone to error to fax the order?

Personal logo piper909 Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2017 8:16 p.m. PST

Not lately, but have done.

But this question is already slanted in favor of gamers on TMP, with online access. People using the telephone for orders may not have online access, and those chaps aren't going to even see this discussion.

KSmyth11 Sep 2017 8:37 p.m. PST

Not during this millennium.

Green Tiger Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2017 12:07 a.m. PST

No

Personal logo x42brown Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2017 1:00 a.m. PST

I have done so but not for a long time.

x42

WarWizard12 Sep 2017 4:20 a.m. PST

Have not done that in many years…..

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Sep 2017 10:32 a.m. PST

Nah … I don't even order delivery pizza over the phone anymore.

Rob Richardson12 Sep 2017 3:06 p.m. PST

Not if I can help it!

Bismarck12 Sep 2017 4:53 p.m. PST

Always. Seems like I am a minority of one here. I "window shop" online, but order from the vendor by phone. Like the personal contact and have never had an issue with the vendors I have used. My computer operating system is outdated and even with antivirus protection, just have never trusted putting information online. I do not pay bills, bank or do any other financial transactions online. My God, man, I still write checks and they can call me by name at the bank. I have even gone as far as getting USPS money orders to snail mail to vendors or distributors who only have paypal just to protect my information. Know its a generation thing, but I have had stellar service from the folks I buy from. Now bear in mind, with customs, formidable shipping costs from overseas, I only buy from vendors/suppliers/retailers here in the US. It has seemed that these great guys have gone out of their way to help an old man even when the orders were small. There is less than a handful that I rely on. Otherwise, I have support of local gamers who do the online thing order for me.

As a follow up, Ed, it would be interesting to see how the vendors look at phone orders. Are we an expected hassle of doing business, or would they not take the time or effort.
I have two new vendors I will be ordering from later this year and first of next and it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Sorry, young folks, comment as you may, but at my age, it "won't mean nuthin'" and no way below will I change.

Sam

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2017 6:00 p.m. PST

Not in years. Do almost all online now.

Personal logo Narratio Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2017 7:02 p.m. PST

Nope, never have. It was always face to face and now it's online.

Clays Russians13 Sep 2017 11:16 a.m. PST

As much as possible. Why? Because I'm anal retentive. And m really old fashioned. I'd rather still talk to a human being. If I call and I get the- " please leave your order on the answering machine and we wi------, I hang up mmediately.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2017 11:22 a.m. PST

When buying hobby stuff I prefer to do so online. I am not interested in having a conversation on my dime. There is much less chance of something getting misunderstood when ordering on line.

I don't like the "please leave order…" either, which is another reason to order online. I also get a printed receipt immediately after ordering.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2017 2:18 p.m. PST

It's been a while, but yes, particularly when I have a special request.

Dan

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.