Help support TMP

"Fortifications?" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

406 hits since 6 Sep 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Sep 2017 3:48 p.m. PST

I recently bought the Index: Imperium 2 and saw there's a whole section on fortifications in the end of it. It's rather lacking in details of the size of the pieces and it doesn't really say who can buy them. In the main rule book the Battle Forged Army section does have a detachment with fortifications as an option. Can any army buy these things?

kallman06 Sep 2017 7:35 p.m. PST

Scott I think the answer is yes that any force can buy fortifications. On page 245 of the main rule book there is a "Fortification Network Detachment." It comes with 1-3 Fortifications. It states "restrictions none" and "command points none."

Now I have the Chaos and both Xenos indexes and Chaos and Tau have specific fortification sections in their army lists. But again, I feel all forces could use fortification appropriate to them. Which could lead to some cool scratch building projects.

However, I will add that on page 242, top of the second column there is the following:

"Restrictions
The section of a Detachment's rules lists any additional restrictions that apply to the units you can include as part of the Detachment. If a datasheet does not adhere to a particular restriction, it cannot be included as part of the Detachment. The most common restriction is that all of the units included in a Detachment must be from the same faction."

Reading that I feel that again, yes any force can take fortifications as the particular Detachment states "restrictions none."

Others might interpret it differently.

Neal Smith06 Sep 2017 7:52 p.m. PST

The index basically updates the "existing model's" stats to 8th edition. The rules for using it are, generally, somewhere else.

The new codices will contain those, updated, rules when they come out.

The H Man06 Sep 2017 10:26 p.m. PST

Yes. I suspect these rules will be updated. Probobly with more models, if they are not available. GW can't have people doing "cool scratch biulding", not when they have warehouses full of rattly boxes to shift.

Centurio Prime07 Sep 2017 5:19 a.m. PST

LOL its a conspiracy!

kallman07 Sep 2017 7:04 a.m. PST

H-man, the rule book contains a section on scratchbuilding and how to incorporate it into your games.

Centurio Prime07 Sep 2017 7:54 a.m. PST

LOL

Neal Smith07 Sep 2017 8:05 a.m. PST

They certainly have their own models and want to sell them. :)

There are plenty of people who build their own and just "call" them "bastion", "Fortress of Redemption", etc.

The H Man07 Sep 2017 5:09 p.m. PST

Good to see some people still having a go and not being dictated to.

I find it odd they would have scratch building in a book, then shun (actually not even mention it to customers) it in their stores (going by my own experience). Left hand not talking to the right?

More likely because they don't see large future sales in most army specific fortifications.

Willing to bet those pics showed converted gw plastics, am I wrong? (Possibly)

Oh, and lots of love to you too Centurio.

kallman07 Sep 2017 7:38 p.m. PST

They devote one photo and about two paragraphs and even mention you and your opponent will have to devise rules for such terrain. The photo yes contains a lot GW bits, so what?

Anyone who does a search of any threads I have posted on will soon realize I have been as much a critic as fan of GW. However, I have never understood the mentality here on TMP that GW is the evil empire because, well they want to promote their models, terrain, rules etc. Do you see McDonalds shilling for Burger King? No.

GW is the most successful miniature and table top war gaming company in what is an extremely small specialty market. Perhaps Battlefront a.k.a., Flames of War is the only one who comes as close. Warlord may be a close third or perhaps is number two. I don't know and it really does not matter.

If you mention miniature wargaming to someone who does not engage in the hobby or knows little to nothing about it they will either look at you like you suddenly grew a second head or go, "Oh! You mean like that Warhammer thing?" Not, "Oh! You play Napoleonic miniature war games. Cool!"

Nope not gonna happen. Warhammer and 40K have entered the public nerd cult and it is not uncommon to see a well done Space Marine or other iconic character at cosplay and science fiction/fantasy/comic book conventions as you would a character from Star Wars. Hell just Google memes and articles on Star Wars vs 40K.

You can slam GW all you want. They will not care and why should they? Most likely you are not their target market.

As to a minimum wage store clerk who is working in a GW retail store I have found most of them know little if nothing about the wargaming hobby beyond what they have been spoon feed by the corporate creed. Again, why should GW go beyond promotion of their own product. They are a for profit publicly traded company with a bottom line.

Of course I and others have made this most reasonable argument ad nausea on many other threads before. But haters gonna hate and that is fine if that is what groves you.

The H Man08 Sep 2017 4:15 a.m. PST

Sweet.

OK dot points.

Photos contain lots of gw stuff. Then it's not really scratch built, it's kit bashed.

I never called them an evil empire, a bothersome imp, maybe. Sorry, dude, macccas promote and sell coca Cola products not to mention hundreds of happy meal film and TV promotions and toys. GW? Hmmm…. (lotr)

Biggest company? I doubt it. But then Hitler was pretty big at the time, so it means nothing.

Actually, apart from kids and nerds, yes people would mostly go with a historical notion. You need to get out more.

Costumes? I would think medieval and acw win. Other fantasy games like d&d would beat 40k. I don't Google silly things.

Thank you for your concent. But your right, I am an adult.
(If that sounds odd, please read the post above)

You did hit the nail on the head there. They used to be good.

I don't hate gw, if that's your insinuation. I feel people pull the hate card when they have no real argument. You made a few points, so I find your last statement surprising.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.