Help support TMP

"Unusual Historical Miniatures" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Figure Finder Message Board

624 hits since 3 Sep 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Seaxon03 Sep 2017 2:13 a.m. PST

Does any know of any companies that make decent miniatures from historical periods and places you don't often see in wargaming.
To give some examples of what I mean, off the top of my head I can think of Eureka ( Hawaiians, Maoris and Russo-Turkish in 28mm and Mound Builders and Tlingit in 15mm), Irregular (Caucasians, Russo-Japanese and Bornu in 15mm) and Khurasan (Pre-Samurai Japanese in 15mm)

Seaxon03 Sep 2017 2:13 a.m. PST

Does any know of any companies that make decent miniatures from historical periods and places you don't often see in wargaming.
To give some examples of what I mean, off the top of my head I can think of Eureka ( Hawaiians, Maoris and Russo-Turkish in 28mm and Mound Builders and Tlingit in 15mm), Irregular (Caucasians, Russo-Japanese and Bornu in 15mm) and Khurasan (Pre-Samurai Japanese in 15mm)

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 2:26 a.m. PST

Well, in 28mm there is so much available from so many different manufacturers. There are all sorts of hidden gems to be found on this list…

link

Dave Crowell03 Sep 2017 5:28 a.m. PST

I blame DBA for all those obscure armies that have minis ranges available. ;) At least for Ancients

Not entirely facetiously. Manufacturers make what they think will sell. Wargames tournaments are popular, and certain armies do well in tournaments even though they were minor players historically. So the tournament scene drives demand.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 9:51 a.m. PST

Any wargaming system with tournament lists will give you all kinds of strange armies when the list maker wishes to be comprehensive. Note I said "comprehensive", not "accurate".
It would be kind of pointless to list Early Middle Ning-t'u without giving them some competitive advantage, even if it's only a javelin (which they never used) to go along with their stone daggers.
What happens then is that someone will want Early Middle Ning-t'u, and someone will make them. With javelins.

Tony S03 Sep 2017 10:34 a.m. PST

Mick Yarrow does 15mm Inuit and Sardinian Nuragli, and I don't think any ruleset has covered those!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.