Help support TMP

"Rommel - what scale are people gonna use?" Topic

26 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

1,050 hits since 27 Aug 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Navy Fower Wun Seven27 Aug 2017 5:20 p.m. PST

With the release of Rommel, Sam Mustafa's new operational scale WW2 rules, what scale of figures are people planning on using?

For this most large scale of rulesets, 6mm seems like commonsense, but I know Sam is keen to allow people to easily use their 15mm collections.

Although its infinitely scaleable as an open architecture game, the default ground scale is that a 6 inch square represents a square kilometre of ground ('bout 2/3s of a mile)

I'm toying with the idea of basing 15mm units on large bases, about 4 inch square, and doubling up the ground scale to 1 foot squares. The larger base would give ample room for pretty labelling, divisional signs and mottos, stat lines, vignettes and nice landscaping etc…but would I be alone in this madness?

Navy Fower Wun Seven27 Aug 2017 5:21 p.m. PST

With the release of Rommel, Sam Mustafa's new operational scale WW2 rules, what scale of figures are people planning on using?

For this most large scale of rulesets, 6mm seems like commonsense, but I know Sam is keen to allow people to easily use their 15mm collections.

Although its infinitely scaleable as an open architecture game, the default ground scale is that a 6 inch square represents a square kilometre of ground ('bout 2/3s of a mile)

I'm toying with the idea of basing 15mm units on large bases, about 4 inch square, and doubling up the ground scale to 1 foot squares. The larger base would give ample room for pretty labelling, divisional signs and mottos, stat lines, vignettes and nice landscaping etc…but would I be alone in this madness?

Justin Penwith27 Aug 2017 5:25 p.m. PST

3mm for my own armies, 6mm using those of a friend, and 15mm from every other Tom, Dick, and Harry who play(ed) Flames of War.

Dynaman878927 Aug 2017 5:50 p.m. PST

I'm using 6mm like I use for everything else, even skirmish gaming. At that I might even go with 3" squares to the Kilometer.

Personal logo War Artisan Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Aug 2017 8:25 p.m. PST

I'm going to try it in 10mm/Early War/Barbarossa.

Yellow Admiral27 Aug 2017 9:50 p.m. PST

I have so much Eastern Front and Western Front micoramor my house is in danger of collapsing into a black hole, so I will probably not start over with another scale.

- Ix

Navy Fower Wun Seven27 Aug 2017 9:58 p.m. PST

3mm! Gosh! Good luck painting the callsigns! Seriously though, if ever the scope of a ruleset called for micro-micro armour, then Rommel is it!

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP In the TMP Dawghouse27 Aug 2017 11:32 p.m. PST

Unless you have space , it seems to call for 3-6-10mm, not to have a sort of 16th cty melée look.

McKinstry Fezian27 Aug 2017 11:40 p.m. PST

3mm for me with 4" squares on a 4x6.

Personal logo doctorphalanx Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2017 1:17 a.m. PST

10mm on 6" squares.
3mm (multiple vehicles etc) on 6" squares.
Cards only on smaller squares.

Khusrau28 Aug 2017 2:10 a.m. PST

I would think it is ideal for 3mm – which can look really really good. I would be inclined to base multiple 3mm onto 3cm square bases.

My only minor gripe is that I think bases will need the card information on them, and that thanks to the element/parent rules it will be important to know formation. As this changed with cross attachment and so on, it will be impossible to permanently label the bases.

Personal logo doctorphalanx Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2017 2:51 a.m. PST

For my projected 3mm armies I might use magnetic labels that can be switched. I will also need to coat them with clear plastic film so the damage track can be marked off and cleaned between games. For my existing 10mm armies I'll just use cards.

repaint28 Aug 2017 3:46 a.m. PST

3mm for me with 4" squares on a 4x6.

Sounds like what I will be doing if I jump onboard.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Aug 2017 6:17 a.m. PST

I'm currently looking at using my Hexon (4" hexes) and my 6mm troops. Thinking about bathtubbing the entire Bulge (after I get Leipzig done!).

It would use a 6x9 table, and adapt a boardgame. Probably go 1 company = 1 regiment, 1 battalion = 1 division style game.

I'm going to need a LOT of trees. Of the 390 hexes, about 250 are forest or light woods!

Yellow Admiral28 Aug 2017 12:56 p.m. PST

I'm also already thinking about using a 4" or even 3" grid rather than 6". That would still allow large, multi-miniature microarmor units (e.g. 2-4 of my 1" bases per unit), and I'm always a fan of increasing maneuver room.

I'll probably try using a square grid a few times, as per the rules, just because I'd rather have a feel for how the rules work (and whether I like them) before I start fiddling with them. I admit I'm disappointed they weren't written for hexes and/or offset squares from the get-go. The numerous mechanics mitigating problems with diagonal grid artifacts would have been obviated, and our hobby needs more opportunities to pull out all that Geohex, Hexon, Terrainmaker, etc. terrain occupying dusty boxes in gamers' closets.

- Ix

VVV reply28 Aug 2017 2:21 p.m. PST

Or no models at all?

Navy Fower Wun Seven28 Aug 2017 2:35 p.m. PST

Yes no models at all is an option! Seems like the micro scale mafia have the edge though…hmm…

coopman Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2017 5:54 p.m. PST

I would probably do 3mm if I do it at all.

Yellow Admiral28 Aug 2017 7:28 p.m. PST

Or no models at all?
Heretic! Burn him!

Seriously, Rommel is basically a build-it-yourself board game. There's no particular reason this approach can't work with other boardgame systems (it does). I'm mostly stoked about it because it might generate enough excitement among miniatures gamers to get them to play operational WWII games with miniatures and 3D terrain. We'll see.

- Ix

VVV reply29 Aug 2017 1:36 a.m. PST

As a bit of an aside, we play miniature games at a wargames shop where most of the players are card gamers. A few wander over to ask questions and the main one is, 'do your models come ready painted?'. So I would say that that type of gamer just wants to buy a product and play. No painting required.
Oh and shop owners (who do sell miniatures as well) say the money is in the card games!

Dexter Ward29 Aug 2017 2:05 a.m. PST

I'll be using 20mm scale on 6" squares, because that's what I have.

coopman Supporting Member of TMP29 Aug 2017 6:17 a.m. PST

Does "Rommel" come with the unit cards or do you have to make your own?

Personal logo doctorphalanx Supporting Member of TMP29 Aug 2017 6:47 a.m. PST

You can download some blank unit cards but I might put the stats into a spreadsheet or database and generate my own. I will want to do that for labels as well.

daler240D Supporting Member of TMP29 Aug 2017 5:43 p.m. PST

10mm eastern front

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP In the TMP Dawghouse29 Aug 2017 11:25 p.m. PST

One has to remember attacking units come into the opposition's square.
What looks ok on a boardgame, hardly does with 3d minis, need space so your Panther gun does not kiss the T34's.
And you can have 6 of them!

Personal logo doctorphalanx Supporting Member of TMP30 Aug 2017 5:26 a.m. PST

Ramming was known but I agree it wouldn't be a good look. One reason I like the idea of 3mm on big bases.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.