Help support TMP

"Rommel" Topic

21 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Rules Message Board

Back to the Historical Wargaming Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Wargaming in the United Kingdom Message Board

1,308 hits since 13 Aug 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

clarkeshire13 Aug 2017 6:02 a.m. PST

Here's a few more pics of a Russian assault.. Quite a few terrain elements.. Mountains, rivers, fortifications etc and also a bit of an optional element that can be thrown into the mix.. The antitank gun.. We had lots of discussions about the antitank gun and it effect in the game at this scale of game play!

We've had quite a few playtest games at the Sheffield Rotherham club covering scenario's and battle in the Desert campaigns and Normandy…Rommel covers the lot and in my opinion certainly works well for large scale WW2 actions.

deephorse13 Aug 2017 6:52 a.m. PST

Is anything happening here, or is it 13 photos of the same moment in time? Could you explain what we're looking at? Thanks.

Legion 413 Aug 2017 7:12 a.m. PST

Models & terrain looks great regardless …

Nick B13 Aug 2017 11:12 a.m. PST

okay – so what was the effect of the anti-tank gun and how did it work? (I have read all the stuff on Sams website and podcasts so have an idea how the rules play).

Thanks

Nick

repaint13 Aug 2017 1:49 p.m. PST

I had exactly the same thoughts as Deephorse.

Can anything really happen at this scale from turn to turn? I'd imagine you'd have attrition more than anything else.

Sudwind13 Aug 2017 7:01 p.m. PST

I fear the mechanics…I have not enjoyed other Mustafa games. Hated Maurice. The game sort of played itself, telling a story of the cards in your hand. Others love it and that is understandable too.

clarkeshire14 Aug 2017 10:39 a.m. PST

The above playtest pics are the start of a deliberate attack by a Russian force to capture and force a bridgehead…it was basically to try out all the terrain features..the great thing about Rommel is that its probably the only WW2 game at this scale that allows you to try out lots of scenarios and battles of WW2 in such an easy way.

@Nick B..the antitank element is an optional rule that for starters negates Tank Shock.

@ repaint…yes your right on the Eastern front a lot of the Russian Assaults were about Attrition and Rommel reflects this well..The german defenders do need mobile reserves to plug the gaps whilst the Russian forces try and achieve a breakthrough.

I've played many WW2 rulesets and in my opinion Rommel is a very brave step forward to give gamers something very different from what we are used too…I was a fan of Spearhead and even take my hat off to Flames of war as it introduced the WW2 game to younger players.

I was a bit wary about the grid system but it certainly makes the game play really smooth and easy to play at this scale.

@Sudwind we all like different rule sets in our chosen hobby, but the one thing I can say about the Honour games is that Sam Mustafa puts in a lot of hard work to try and give gamers the opportunity to try out possibly new game mechanics.

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2017 11:24 a.m. PST

I was a bit wary about the grid system but it certainly makes the game play really smooth and easy to play at this scale.

The grid system? I don't see any grid in the pictures above. What is it?

clarkeshire14 Aug 2017 12:01 p.m. PST

@McLaddie…can you see the very discreet white dots?( actually a lighter shade of the board colour)…its really very easy to make a grid system on a conventional board.

Personal logo toofatlardies Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Aug 2017 12:47 p.m. PST

I really admire Sam for doing something different with his rules; trying different mechanisms and developing new ideas. I find it very sad to see that in the board game world such fresh thinking is respected and aspired to, in miniature wargaming it is far too often looked on as some kind of dangerous heresy if game designers do anything other than re-hash 40K or deviate from a 1970's model of game design.

I for one am really looking forward to seeing Rommel and I wish Sam well with his venture.

Rich

clarkeshire14 Aug 2017 12:56 p.m. PST

well said that man;)

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2017 3:13 p.m. PST

I think it is understandable that miniature gamers are a little cautious when it comes to a new set of rules. With board games that turn out bad, all you risk was the cost of the game and some time. You can even sell the game or put it up for auction.

Miniatures isn't always as easy to get out of. Buying figures, sometimes re-basing. If you're lucky you don't need to re-base. Then there is the painting. There is more at risk.

When you add miniatures to equation then everything gets more complicated. Not for all but for some.

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2017 5:21 p.m. PST

@McLaddie…can you see the very discreet white dots?( actually a lighter shade of the board colour)…its really very easy to make a grid system on a conventional board.

Yep, I can seem them. I needed to look at the pixs on my computer with my reading glasses and not my iPhone.

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2017 5:24 p.m. PST

…in miniature wargaming it is far too often looked on as some kind of dangerous heresy if game designers do anything other than re-hash 40K or deviate from a 1970's model of game design.

Rich:
I am not sure that is a totally fair assessment. I certainly have seen similar heresy hissy-fits with board-gamers… but there are far more of them and far more games, so it spreads out the heresy-mongers a bit. But trying new things is always interesting.

Sudwind14 Aug 2017 9:40 p.m. PST

New mechanics are cool, but when the game plays you and not the other way around then I'm out. Maurice did just that. Perhaps Rommel is different?

Black Hat Miniatures15 Aug 2017 1:58 a.m. PST

I am looking forward to these as a WW2 grid game that offers something different.

I will be stocking them in the UK as well.

Mike

acatcalledelvis15 Aug 2017 3:28 a.m. PST

Is this not just Krieg Onhe Hasse?

TMP link

The downloadable chapters etc on the Honor website would presume so

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP15 Aug 2017 12:00 p.m. PST

New mechanics are cool, but when the game plays you and not the other way around then I'm out. Maurice did just that. Perhaps Rommel is different?

New game mechanics are fun to see, some work and some don't, depending.

clarkeshire15 Aug 2017 12:47 p.m. PST

Here's a couple of pics I spotted on the Honour Rommel forum…nowt like a bit of inspiration:)

Mark 1 Supporting Member of TMP15 Aug 2017 12:53 p.m. PST

Here's a few more pics of a Russian assault..

The very first words in the thread put me into confusion. A few more than what? Than where? Did I miss a memo?

We had lots of discussions about the antitank gun and it effect in the game at this scale of game play! ….

Rommel covers the lot and in my opinion certainly works well for large scale WW2 actions.

Glad to have your opinion. Sure wish I some information on what you are opining about.

Is anything happening here … ? Could you explain what we're looking at?

okay so what was the effect of the anti-tank gun and how did it work?

The grid system? I don't see any grid in the pictures above. What is it?

Can anything really happen at this scale from turn to turn?

At least I was not alone in my befuddlement.

I don't mean to sound critical, but perhaps a suggestion or two … if you want to discuss or highlight or enlighten us on some game mechanics or dynamics, then please tell us about the game mechanics and dynamics. Showing us a set of pics and leaving us to figure out what happened just leaves many of us scratching our heads.

Here's a good pic. Fully illustrates an important concept. Can you notice the differences?

See? You have no idea what "important concept" the pic illustrates, or what differences I am referring to. So all you have is a bit of eye candy. If I wanted to use this pic to illustrate some concept, to enlighten or even engage, I should probably provide some description.

Not that I object to eye candy. I like pics of games. But if you're going to tease me with your opinions on the rules and how they play, please give me some information on the rules and how they play.

-Mark
(aka: Mk 1)

clarkeshire15 Aug 2017 1:05 p.m. PST

Hi Mark (aka: Mk 1)…Rommel can be fully explained here and much better than I could do it;)

https://sammustafa.com/rommel

Downloads

https://sammustafa.com/downloads

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.