Help support TMP

"Utter genius, I want an army of them" Topic

37 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

2,010 hits since 7 Aug 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

4th Cuirassier07 Aug 2017 7:30 a.m. PST

link

"Visualise, if you will, six of the most desirable, handsome, interesting bachelors on Match.com, and also me, along for the ride. We were 3D-scanned, made into dolls, and then, yesterday, put on shelves in a pop-up in central London, where passing women could pick us up, inspect us, and, if they liked what they saw, find us on the website"

Stupendously life-like.

Now what I want to know is, can these be reduced from 175mm to 28mm, and mass-produced in metal? If so, then all you need is to dress someone up in the required uniform and the search for human-proportioned minis is over.

It occurs to me that maybe this technology has been in use for making wargaming miniatures for years already, and we just didn't know. That is, figure makers have been scanning in re-enactors and releasing them as figures.

For example, most of the old Lamming 20mm Germans appear to have been based on this guy:
link

This guy looks like a Hinchliffe Parthian
link

and here are a mixture of Minifigs and Prince August Napoleonics

picture

Seriously, how long can it be with 3D printing before this is a thing?

Footslogger07 Aug 2017 7:42 a.m. PST

Very funny. But THAT'S why I should never be a reenactor.

Yes, it could work, if you pick the right models to become models. But count me out.

Codsticker07 Aug 2017 8:22 a.m. PST

left to right… GW, Foundry, Crusader, Perry, Victrix.

As you can see they don't scale well together at all.

Fred Cartwright07 Aug 2017 8:29 a.m. PST

How many parachutes would it take to land that Fallschirmjäger reenactor? And the other guy is not a Hinchliffe Parthian. His arms aren't long enough!

christot07 Aug 2017 8:29 a.m. PST

I'm a bit rusty but isn't the guy on the left from a LIGHT company……?

Kevin C Supporting Member of TMP07 Aug 2017 8:30 a.m. PST

Codsticker,

I have to disagree with you. That is certainly a Crusader mini on the left. The ones in the middle might be the old minifig true 25 range (unless Ral Partha did Napoleonics in 25mm).

4th Cuirassier07 Aug 2017 8:44 a.m. PST

They certainly aren't Hinchliffe as none of the musket barrels is shaped like a fish hook.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP07 Aug 2017 9:10 a.m. PST

This is what I've been saying: 3D printing will really take off for miniature wargamers when they can scan my head and print off 28mm generals for my various periods which look like me.
But yes, certainly different people resemble different manufacturers. Not just us, though. Three blocks from here is a GW deciduous tree--the only one in the neighborhood.

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP07 Aug 2017 9:51 a.m. PST

Too, too funny! Sometimes you guys kill me.

Korvessa07 Aug 2017 11:07 a.m. PST

Hope that Fsj never has to run for cover

BattlerBritain07 Aug 2017 11:58 a.m. PST

Tallest on the right, shortest on the left, in single rank, SIZE!!!!!

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP07 Aug 2017 12:12 p.m. PST

Hmm. So are you guys implying that in the old days the soldiers, including militia and others pressed into service at the last minute, were all lean and fit, and that figures should reflect that? :)

Dan

Personal logo BigRedBat Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Aug 2017 12:31 p.m. PST

What Dan said; also they would be dressed in rags, and that red would have faded to a brick red (and stained all the whites in the process).

Windy Miller07 Aug 2017 12:52 p.m. PST

Don't think that Fallshirmjäger could even waddle to cover. However a better organic sandbag I have never seen, he could stop an 88!

Lambert Supporting Member of TMP07 Aug 2017 1:15 p.m. PST

Great post – it reinforces a point well made on TMP before, that humans come in all shapes and sizes and did 200 years ago. If you mix figures from different manufacturers, it's not the differences in body size that look odd, it's the different sizes of musket, shako, backpack, waterbottle, etc.

dibble07 Aug 2017 1:20 p.m. PST

Militia units were brought into service during the Peninsula, and Waterloo campaigns (in the Guards for instance) and perfomed well. Like today, those not up to it would be weeded out within days.

As for the uniform, the dyes were much faster than people think, though fading due to excessive exposure and strong sunlight was always a problem. 'In general', suppliers of uniforms were good and efficient. the suppliers were normally those with strong links to the regiments they supplied and thus had to produce a quality of dress that would'nt be wrecked at the onset of the first rain storm.

PS. the fat bloke is indeed a light company officer in campaign dress and he and his band of merry men (and boy) are depicting a Royal regiment.

Paul :)

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP07 Aug 2017 2:22 p.m. PST

Lambert +1 and change.

I mix figures from different ranges all the time.

In one case I needed to cut down the rifles on some Tiger Spanish American War figures to match my Old Glory.

spontoon07 Aug 2017 2:37 p.m. PST

Check out the Dighton caricatures of Napoleonic military types!

Korvessa07 Aug 2017 4:32 p.m. PST

To be fair my ROTC platoon had guys from 5'05" To 6'05" in it

Henry Martini07 Aug 2017 4:57 p.m. PST

Why would any sane man gift a potential future ex a ready-made voodoo doll?

HappyHussar Supporting Member of TMP07 Aug 2017 10:59 p.m. PST

Does he get a positive "large target" modifier <snicker>?

bilsonius07 Aug 2017 11:52 p.m. PST

Reminds me of a squad of Napoleonic redcoat re-enactors at Colours, in Reading, years ago. I still remember some of the nco's narration:
"Grenadiers was the tallest and handsomest blokes in the Regiment.
We is not grenadiers, 'cos we is short an' ugly.
Apart from me, of course, which is why I is corp'ral…"

Khusrau08 Aug 2017 3:49 a.m. PST

Step away from current perceptions for a moment.

It's probably worth noting that obesity would be very much rarer pre mid 20c. Mainly because most of the population were either working physically for long hours every day, or couldn't afford vast quantities of food.

Refined sugar was not part of the ordinary person's diet, and no fast food joints.

Unless there was some genetic issue, obesity would be rare, and in many cultures, being fat was good, because it was a sign of wealth and plenty.

Fred Cartwright08 Aug 2017 4:33 a.m. PST

It's probably worth noting that obesity would be very much rarer pre mid 20c. Mainly because most of the population were either working physically for long hours every day, or couldn't afford vast quantities of food.

Quite true. Only rich people had the luxury of lots of food to eat, horse transport and other people to do the manual work for them. The poor were starving, walked everywhere and were worked to death. That is why life expectancies were so low and that is if you survived the high infant mortality of course.

Bozkashi Jones08 Aug 2017 4:48 a.m. PST

Superb thread! Made me laugh.

And, as the son of a Grenadier who went into the lowly Light Infantry, I loved the quote from Bilsonius. Classic.

Nick

Legion 408 Aug 2017 7:05 a.m. PST

How many parachutes would it take to land that Fallschirmjäger reenactor?
IIRC, the old T-10 and MC1-1B could support @ 2000 lbs. ? evil grin old fart

As I said on another thread, this is really a 1st World problem … Many in the world are struggling to get enough calories just to survive.

And IIRC, when making the movie "Gettysburg" … Too many reenactors, especially the Confederates, were far too "big"/overweight for the time period.

I had a couple Army buddies, who were about 5'5" and both Airborne Ranger qualified. The good thing about being short is you can hide more easily …

Old Wolfman08 Aug 2017 7:08 a.m. PST

I usually wound up in the front rank for line of battle, when I was in the reenacting hobby(ACW) due to my good sized torso. But my pards could say I handled my job rather well,in any matter.

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP08 Aug 2017 11:00 a.m. PST

Yes, yes, very clever. They do look they stepped out of a Gilray cartoon.

Now let's have some pictures of typical wargamers for comparison.

Oh Irony, thy sting is bitter………

GROSSMAN Supporting Member of TMP08 Aug 2017 11:40 a.m. PST

The guy on the left is heavy infantry

christot08 Aug 2017 11:54 a.m. PST

"And IIRC, when making the movie "Gettysburg" … Too many reenactors, especially the Confederates, were far too "big"/overweight for the time period."
Much as I love that film, during the scene where Lee addresses the army of Virginia, he rides along in front of the massed ranks of some very well fed fellows. Not exactly the lean mean fighting machine one imagined.
I could only think while looking at them, that somewhere, out of shot, was a vast temporary trailer park, with thousands of well-appointed RVs, each bedecked with confederate flags and bursting with state of the art, fully-stocked barbecues and beer fridges.

Legion 408 Aug 2017 3:08 p.m. PST

Much as I love that film, during the scene where Lee addresses the army of Virginia, he rides along in front of the massed ranks of some very well fed fellows.
I did too and remember that "pass in review" of the "Rebs". I believe the next time the next movie "Gods and Generals" was made. The movie makers only wanted leaner more "realistic" portrayals of the troopers during the ACW.

Not only would the soldiers of that time been lean from campaigning. But food was not always readily available in many situations and was meager at that many times.

, out of shot, was a vast temporary trailer park, with thousands of well-appointed RVs, each bedecked with confederate flags and bursting with state of the art, fully-stocked barbecues and beer fridges.
I wouldn't doubt that … but I was not, during either era … so … evil grin

Palewarrior Supporting Member of TMP08 Aug 2017 4:19 p.m. PST

Well I recognize Sgt.Colon and Nobby Nobs…;)

Edwulf08 Aug 2017 9:35 p.m. PST

I remember taking part at a reenactment at Richmond Castle. Late 90s. Early 00s at a push.

The French (21eme maybe) turned up with a pioneer. And what a pioneer he was. He took up two spaces in the front line. And maybe 2 at the back. We were not sure as we couldn't see.

Before that day I'd seen a few hefty fellows at mixed period events but not at the U.K. Napoleonic scene. The ECW guys were massive. Many portly men and women in their ranks. Which is funny as they wore more clobber than we did, and every WW2 unit seemed to have a token tubby chap in a special XXXL issue uniform. One of the oddest thing about re enactmebtsvwere the double standards on accuracy… I turned up to an event with my white trousers. The 68th, had a hissy fit and wanted me i grey …. I wasn't even in the 68th. Yet at the same time all the units were riddled with old men, and man mountains in uniforms way larger than issue…

Lion in the Stars08 Aug 2017 10:18 p.m. PST

Yeah, I wouldn't want to give a girl a ready-made voodoo doll…

But I wouldn't mind getting my leaner face high-res 3d printed to stick onto some models. Or at least I wouldn't mind if I gamed historicals in anything other than 15mm!

Retiarius909 Aug 2017 7:59 a.m. PST

there are many waaaay overweight reenactors, from a distance with many other guys doesnt look too bad, but shouldnt be doing up close living history, just rediculous

ScottS09 Aug 2017 9:54 a.m. PST

dibble09 Aug 2017 10:41 a.m. PST

Paul :)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.