Help support TMP

"Field of Battle Rules" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

587 hits since 1 Aug 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

sixlasers02 Aug 2017 1:41 a.m. PST

I have these rules and like them. Is it worth upgrading to Field of Battle version 2? What benefits would I gain?

Personal logo PzGeneral Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2017 2:40 a.m. PST

FoB is what got me into Napoleonic gaming.

Here is a blog that has an extensive breakdown of all things Field of Battle. It's by one of TMP's own, Gonsalvo.

link

John Leahy02 Aug 2017 10:43 a.m. PST

I loved FOB! Do yourself a favor and pick up FOB2 if you want an even better game. Melee is much, much better. The rules are cleaned up and some other improvements have been done. The rolling even changes are a plus.

Thanks,

John

Gonsalvo02 Aug 2017 4:32 p.m. PST

I would agree; if you liked FoB, FoB2 introduces significant improvements, without any disadvantages that I can see. The revision in the Melee! Card definition. Pursuit, and the melee resolution processes are probably the most important (and beneficial) changes. but there quite a few others that make the game better and faster without introducing additional complexity.

You do know that you can get the FoB2 rules in pdf form, right?

piquetwargames.blogspot.com

Presently $15 USD via paypal to brentoman@q.com

Available in print from:

link

There is of course a superb (ahem!) scenario book with 23 scenarios for FoB from the 1809 campaign available in both print and pdf formats available from the above. :-)

Peter

tshryock Sponsoring Member of TMP02 Aug 2017 6:12 p.m. PST

I highly recommend Gonsalvo's scenario book -- great stuff.

sixlasers04 Aug 2017 3:42 a.m. PST

Thanks all for your responses.

I Drink Your Milkshake05 Aug 2017 5:27 p.m. PST

Cavalry becomes more powerful in FOB2. It was a kinda ho-hum combat arm in the original.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.