Help support TMP

"Blue Moon/ Forged in battle compatibility" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Product Reviews Message Board

873 hits since 25 Jul 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Festerfest25 Jul 2017 10:10 p.m. PST

Anyone have experience with both the Blue moon and the Forged in battle/war and empire 15mm ancient lines? Considering a Dacian war project and was wondering if they would work well together. I know blue moon runs more 17/18mm but have no experience with forged in battles products.

Thanks for any help

Festerfest25 Jul 2017 10:11 p.m. PST

Anyone have experience with both the Blue moon and the Forged in battle/war and empire 15mm ancient lines? Considering a Dacian war project and was wondering if they would work well together. I know blue moon runs more 17/18mm but have no experience with forged in battles products.

Thanks for any help

timurilank25 Jul 2017 10:51 p.m. PST

Both are excellent manufacturers, but I would be hesitant to mix them in the same unit.

Blue Moon are taller and slender figures. Shields are large which is fine for painting designs. Blue Moon offer no Dacian cavalry so you might have to use their German offering. Do be aware, their horses are long legged and would dwarf the Forged In Battle mounts, yet riders are compatible with Old Glory.

Forged In Battle are indeed smaller than Blue Moon, but mix better with Essex figures. Forged In Battle horses are slightly smaller than Old Glory but are nicely proportioned. Lastly, they offer a complete list of Dacian troop types and their allies, the Sarmatian cavalry.

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP25 Jul 2017 10:57 p.m. PST

I've only seen the FIB Punic Wars miniatures, and they are not compatible with Blue Moon.

AFAICT, the only ancients size-compatible with Blue Moon are Xyston and Battle Honors ancients. These are all 18mm scale, which makes them HUGE compared to 15mm, somewhat runty next to 1/72 (20mm).

Many years ago I bought a pack of oversized Thracians that said Tumbling Dice on the package. Whatever happened to that line of figures, it might also have been compatible with Blue Moon. Sorry, I know that's not much to go on…

The FIB miniatures are very compatible with the chunkier 15mm lines: Essex, Old Glory, Corvus Belli, probably Donnington or Black Hat (ex-Gladiator), maybe others I'm forgetting about or haven't seen. In general they should mix okay in the same army even with other 15mm lines that are a bit slighter of stature, as long as they are on separate stands.

- Ix

JeffGrein Supporting Member of TMP25 Jul 2017 11:14 p.m. PST

@Festerfest
I do have a very nice 15mm OG Dacian army that I am looking to part ways with. It was painted by Monty Luhmann.

If you wanted to get a jump start on your project and were intersted in a painted army maybe we could talk.

email: Grein at aol dot com

Jeff

Green Tiger26 Jul 2017 6:07 a.m. PST

Tumbling Dice are 20mm…

dwight shrute26 Jul 2017 7:16 a.m. PST

I love the FIB figures but I didn't carry on with them as they were a lot taller than my Essex figures . Much closer to xyston IMHO .

Personal logo Stosstruppen Supporting Member of TMP26 Jul 2017 10:10 a.m. PST

Tumbling dice had a nice range of 15mm Greeks that were compatible with Essex….

Festerfest26 Jul 2017 1:09 p.m. PST

Thank you all for the responses. I remain in a quandary. Both the Blue Moon and FIB Dacians look very nice with the FIB having an edge simply because they offer cavalry (Dacian and Sarmation). Sadly, the FIB Imperial Romans just don't look right to me (perhaps not enough Hollywood stereotype). The Blue Moon ones have the look to me but are limited to just 3 codes. I'll take a look at the alternatives suggested and have a think on it.

@JeffGrein
Thank you for the offer but I have an irrational mental block about having to paint my own armies. No matter how nice they were, somehow they just wouldn't be "mine". I hope you find a buyer soon.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.