Help support TMP

"The Battle of Rasheed " Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

488 hits since 23 Jul 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0124 Jul 2017 2:44 p.m. PST

"The city of Rasheed is one of the major tourist and archaeological sites due to its numerous Islamic and Pharaonic relics. It comes after Cairo in the number of old Islamic buildings, hence it is called the city of living history.

Rasheed is located on the west bank of the Rosetta branch at the mouth of the Nile in the Mediterranean Sea. It has been militarily famous since the Pharaonic period. Napoleon chose it as liaison centre between Cairo and Alexandria during the French Expedition in Egypt late in 19th century.

In 1807, the British were interested in Rasheed as it was the most important Egyptian port when they thought of occupying Egypt from Alexandria and occupying Rasheed as a consequence.

Seventeen thousands British troops arrived in Cyprus led by General Frazer. About 30 ships of the British fleet sailed towards Egypt early in 1807 carrying 6000 soldiers and officers and arrived in Alexandria on February 20,1807…"
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Gazzola26 Jul 2017 3:55 p.m. PST

Excellent stuff Armand. I think the action may be better known as the Battle of Rosetta? However, for some reason, you don't hear so much about the British being defeating by civilians, as much as you do the French.

But I think it might make for a very interesting wargame, with Egyptian troops and civilians fighting and defeating a British army. Well spotted.

Tango0126 Jul 2017 9:34 p.m. PST

Happy you enjoyed it my good friend!. (smile)

And happy to hear about you again…!

Amicalement
Armand

Murvihill27 Jul 2017 9:30 a.m. PST

Funny, the Wikipedia article doesn't quite match the Egyptian account, unless 'wiped out' refers to suffering about 10% casualties.

Edwulf28 Jul 2017 6:15 a.m. PST

Not wiped out.
The 1600 man advanced guard was destroyed. 700 prisoners 450 wounded and 196 Dead. (105 of them were chasseurs Brittaniques)
The main body was not engaged.

The dead were mutilated and their heads out on spikes.

Tango0128 Jul 2017 11:20 a.m. PST

Wow!…

Amicalement
Armand

Edwulf28 Jul 2017 4:17 p.m. PST

The prisoners were going to be kept as slaves but were instead well treated and exchanged due to a French advisors influence.

Gazzola01 Aug 2017 10:00 a.m. PST

Hi Tango

I've been taking time out from posting and researching to catch up with my reading and painting. I am far behind in both areas, with piles of unread books and unpainted miniatures, so I have decided to do something about it. I will however, keep popping in now and again. I don't want to miss anything you may find and post which are always a joy to see. Keep them coming!

Tango0101 Aug 2017 11:45 a.m. PST

Many thanks for your kindly words my good friend!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.