Help support TMP

"What Paint Is Best For These Craft Adhesive Foam Sheets?" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Tools of the Hobby Message Board

Back to the Scratchbuilding Message Board

Back to the Painting Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Action Log

15 Jul 2017 9:05 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from 15mm Fantasy board
  • Removed from 15mm Sci-Fi board

511 hits since 15 Jul 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP15 Jul 2017 5:08 p.m. PST

This thin flexible stuff here, which I think is called EVA(?) Foam:

picture

picture

I'm thinking these could work for "layering" facade details on foamboard buildings, but only if those thin craft foam sheets don't fall apart with the wrong glues or paints.

Or would they need to be covered up with gesso or Mod Podge or something else first?

Thoughts?

Dan

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP15 Jul 2017 6:28 p.m. PST

Depending on the type of cells the foam has thinned white glue(pva) should work to seal the foam face. I have used these for roads and rivers with acrylic paints and no problem.

KPinder Supporting Member of TMP15 Jul 2017 6:30 p.m. PST

KISMET! I've been doing some research on the same stuff and apparently Krylon makes a craft foam spray primer.

link

I suppose after you hit it with this stuff you can use whatever paints suit you.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP15 Jul 2017 6:38 p.m. PST

KPinder,

Wow. I had no idea. That's amazing! You must take and share photos of your project for the rest of us here on TMP.

Now about glues …

I'm not sure how good is the adhesive backing on those flexible EVA foam sheets, to stick to MDF or other materials So should I reinforce using just PVA or should I try something harsher?

Dan

KPinder Supporting Member of TMP16 Jul 2017 7:20 a.m. PST

When I was in hobby Lobby, they had 2 specialty foam glues. One glued foam to foam, and a few other surfaces like styrofoam. There was another that seemed to be able to glue foam to just about anything. I got the second. It was pretty no name stuff, so I'm not sure how effective it is going to prove to be. We'll have to see.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP16 Jul 2017 11:13 a.m. PST

I have a feeling that those products are mainly for use with expanded or extruded polystyrene foam. Not sure if they work on this EVA foam.

Please let us know what you find out.

Dan

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP16 Jul 2017 12:40 p.m. PST

Wow, I bet that stuff can be turned into some decent looking lay down roads and rivers. My hamster wheel is spinning now.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP16 Jul 2017 9:40 p.m. PST

Bash,

Check this out:

YouTube link
YouTube link
YouTube link
YouTube link
YouTube link

Lightweight, strong, readily available, comes in various thicknesses, can be cut with simple craft tools and you can get a lot of pieces on the table quickly.

Some people might see it as a good option for them.

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP18 Jul 2017 6:34 a.m. PST

Guys,

Check this out:

link

Dan

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.