Help support TMP

"N Korea is like "Earth" in "The Day Earth Stood Still"" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

942 hits since 5 Jul 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 8:35 a.m. PST

link
We have a superior civilization, and countries like North Korea are welcome to participate.

But if they continue to put the world at risk, they will have to answer to our version of Gort.

28mm Fanatik06 Jul 2017 9:18 a.m. PST

Well, the article is right in one respect. Kim Jong-Un has learned the bitter lessons of Saddam and Gaddafi well. If he wants to stay in power and not end up dead like them he'll need a credible deterrence.

Personal logo Cyrus the Great Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 9:34 a.m. PST

I never knew that USA Today had a page devoted to comedy!

Pan Marek Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 11:27 a.m. PST

The fact that one cannot simply "turn NK into a cinder" is exactly why this is such a difficult problem.

Do people forget about fallout on purpose?

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 11:41 a.m. PST

Let's be serious. First off, North Korea has nuked itself 3 times during the past 11 years of testing. Not real smart.

Second, its last test (the most powerful and strongest to date) devastated the equivalent of 4 city blocks. Yup, 4 whole city blocks.

Now I'm not saying that a nuke isn't bad a bad thing if it lands near you, but honestly… I'm just not real scared of what the north Koreans got.

Onomarchos Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 11:43 a.m. PST

But with each test they get a little better.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 12:51 p.m. PST

I thought that movie sucked.
Too much "Oh, please save us from ourselves ! We just can't handle it!"

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 1:20 p.m. PST

Still it was far better than the remake.

28mm Fanatik06 Jul 2017 1:28 p.m. PST

Both movies were bad. Too many Hollywood movies and TV shows want aliens to save us from ourselves. But there's always a catch at the end.

link

m.imdb.com/title/tt4146128

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 2:12 p.m. PST

The aliens were simply a deus ex machina to make the point of where we have been going ever since Hiroshima and Nagasaki. No aliens are going to save us from ourselves. I guess we "needed" a remake? A reboot, more likely……..

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2017 4:00 p.m. PST

I got kicked out of a car once by a Science Fiction FAN who did not discern proper deferential reverence in my attitude towards that fillum.

28mm Fanatik06 Jul 2017 5:11 p.m. PST

I can't imagine why any more than I can imagine how the 1951 TDTESS can be considered a classic of science fiction worthy of such reverence.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP07 Jul 2017 7:47 a.m. PST

Typical 1950s Asimov worship FAN.
This movie fits them to a tee. We need to be saved from ourselves.

My problem was that I was not really a fan. I joined to look for wargamers. I was only aware of the movie as a movie, and not as a subject of cultish reverence.
So I joked "Gort. Kleenex …… something something."
She had a fit. As Flashman would say, as if I had Bleeped text in the baptismal font.

Personal logo David Manley Supporting Member of TMP07 Jul 2017 8:03 p.m. PST

Faces technologically vastly superior foe and inevitable destruction, but wins anyway?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.