Help support TMP

"Islamic State Fighters Are Given 'Passports' To Paradise" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

805 hits since 26 Jun 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2017 8:55 p.m. PST

"ISIS militants have been issuing 'passports to heaven' to encourage members to carry out suicide attacks and keep control of its self-declared capital, Raqqa.

Copies of the passports were discovered by Syrian Defence Forces in newly liberated neighbourhoods of the northern Syrian city, and photos of the documents were posted to social media.

Brainwashed extremists believe that they will be rewarded with virgins in paradise if they die protecting the Islamic State…"

picture

Main page
link

Funny that these passports are in both Arabic and English. It makes you wonder if ISIS fighters can speak English in Paradise… (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Stealth100028 Jun 2017 3:15 a.m. PST

I hope they no most explosives contain pig products. So none of the ones that go kaboom will need their passport where they are going.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 4:16 a.m. PST

We should use bacon grease in all our ammo then. :)

Dan

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 5:28 a.m. PST

That's a cheap variant of the Ismailis' ploy: drug the assassin to be, put him in a paradisiacal environment (gardens, fountains, lots of sumptuous food and drink, and of course the indispensable girls ministering to his pleasure), then when he wakes up you tell him that the dream he's just had is but a foretaste of the paradise to come. This vision could be created by medieval trickery; why can't ISIS do even better with today's technological wonders? Is a little plastic "passport" the best they can do?

Sobieski28 Jun 2017 6:42 a.m. PST

There isn't a scrap of real evidence for that story about the Assassins.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 6:55 a.m. PST

Lol. Well, the tale is "brought to you by" their enemies the same people who said the Assassins existed in the first place, and that their base was in Alamut. Were those things made up too?

And, as to be expected, today's Ismailis make their 11th century terrorist brethren in Alamut sound like benevolent saints.

link

The finding of those ISIS "passports to paradise" would make the reports of drug-induced paradise hallucinations in the bowels of Alamut even more plausible. Both were death cults who thrived in terror and other mind games.

So we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss all the tales about Alamut anymore. They might actually contain a grain of truth after all.

These ISIS "passports to paradise" weren't some gag gift for someone's birthday or an old fart's retirement party. The young brainwashed recipients were actually made to believe this ISIS crap. If it can happen now, it could have happened back then in the 11th century with the Assassins from Alamut.

Dan

RTJEBADIA28 Jun 2017 7:43 a.m. PST

Eh CC, this seems more like an ISIS variant on morale patches than anything.

Not that there isn't brainwashing, but this just seems like a symptom rather than a cause.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 9:35 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 10:04 a.m. PST

Bet they become the most sought after souvenir in the middle east.

"Look at this, I got his passport and now he can't get in to paradise".

coopman28 Jun 2017 10:35 a.m. PST

I wonder if they'd be interested in some nice ocean front property in Arizona?

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 10:39 a.m. PST

@Sobieski: What kind of "real" evidence do you require? The annals describe them. The Mongols wiped them out. People died at their hands. You want some kind of archeological stuff? What would that be?

Lion in the Stars28 Jun 2017 1:07 p.m. PST

@VCarter: I like the way you think!

Perhaps I should start collecting them…?

JMcCarroll Inactive Member28 Jun 2017 3:56 p.m. PST

Looking to pick one up cheap on E-bay. Dam now everyone knows!

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 4:53 p.m. PST

Lol. Who cares for a stairway to heaven after you die, when you can get a passport to paradise now!

Dan

nsolomon9928 Jun 2017 9:10 p.m. PST

I say we shouldn't stand in their way – if they want to get to Heaven lets send 'em there quick.

Steve Wilcox29 Jun 2017 5:42 a.m. PST

@Sobieski: What kind of "real" evidence do you require? The annals describe them. The Mongols wiped them out. People died at their hands. You want some kind of archeological stuff? What would that be?
I think he was referring to the story about the gardens you posted, as that was the post above his, and he said "There isn't a scrap of real evidence for that story about the Assassins."

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 6:35 a.m. PST

@Steve: How do you separate out details as real and not real? The same sources that describe the Assassins describe the "gardens" and drugs, etc. Is the entomology for "assassin" not derived from "hashish"?

Steve Wilcox29 Jun 2017 10:49 a.m. PST

The etymology of the word and the legends and folklore are covered in the Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

However, my point was that he was not questioning the existence of the Assassins themselves, as you seemed to be suggesting when you wrote:
"@Sobieski: What kind of "real" evidence do you require? The annals describe them. The Mongols wiped them out. People died at their hands. You want some kind of archeological stuff? What would that be?"

The writings of their enemies, the Mongols destroying them, and the Assassins having killed people have nothing to do with validating the story about the gardens.

The story about which I don't even have an opinion on, but your post seemed to suggest that he was doubting the existence of the Assassins themselves, not just the gardens story, otherwise why mention the Mongols, etc.?

So I tried to be helpful and clarify, but failed apparently. :(

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 11:06 a.m. PST

Ha-Ha-Ha….

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 11:15 a.m. PST

Just me, being pedantic. Move along……….

Tgunner Supporting Member of TMP07 Jul 2017 1:20 p.m. PST

Interesting. I heard stories about Iranian troops being given "keys to heaven" prior to their human wave attacks as a way to motivate them before sending them to their deaths. No one seems to have ever seen them though.

link

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian07 Jul 2017 7:51 p.m. PST

I suppose all religions have done something similar at various times. Did not priests bless holy Christian armies before battle, and absolve warriors of their sins before battle? Were not promises made of reward?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.