Help support TMP

"new rules for free" Topic

28 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the French and Indian Wars Message Board

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

677 hits since 17 Jun 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

giogionis17 Jun 2017 8:48 p.m. PST

i made the rules to play fast naval battles in the doc is all required to play even the damage control sheet check it out and opinions and suggestion are not welcomed for real :) it is free there are some things to tweak but playtesting is necesary so enjoy.

the idea is that you play a battle in a fast way without many things that slow things down ala xwing :) here is the page link

Camcleod17 Jun 2017 9:41 p.m. PST

The link goes to " Rambo the rpg " ??

giogionis17 Jun 2017 10:15 p.m. PST

browse the page is on the wargaming rules

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2017 1:57 a.m. PST

Let me give you a clue here. The reason we capitalize the first letter in a sentence and use punctuation is clarity.
Your OP shows you can't be bothered to master that art.
I went to your blog to see if there was any improvement. Alas, no.

The usual excuse Kids Today have for this is "Everyone knows what I mean!" Sorry, but that doesn't fly. I estimate that every such error, including grammar and spelling, lowers comprehension by 5%.

I never bothered to check out your rules because the OP and blog were equally lacking. I can't be bothered to check out rules likely to be equally lacking.
Wargame rules! Where you can't be bothered to be comprehensible! Amazing.

4D Jones18 Jun 2017 3:27 a.m. PST

I don't think English is the OP's first language. … At least I hope not.

Secsesh Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2017 3:58 a.m. PST

Thank you for making a positive contribution to the hobby and making the rules available for free. And your level of English far exceeds my capability in any foreign language (well done for being self taught as you say on your blog page!) Age of Sail is not my period so I can't make any constructive comment on the mechanics of the rules but since they are only 3 pages (excluding the introduction and charts) they are an easy enough read and individuals with more informed background should be able to give some quick thoughts. My only suggestions are that you use a different, more readable, font and change the font size (a bit bigger for old eyes!). You might want to share the rules on other sites like Lead Adventure Forum.

Boodie Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2017 6:54 a.m. PST

Don't worry Giogionis, not everyone on this forum is a Deleted by Moderator. Your English is very good and thanks for putting out your rules.

DOUGKL18 Jun 2017 7:42 a.m. PST

II saved it as a PDF file. Then it is easy to enlarge to make it easier to read. I am thinking that the choice of font was an attempt to emulate the written logs of ships captains. Thanks giogionis we'll give them a tray. Naval warfare s popular with our group.

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian18 Jun 2017 9:51 a.m. PST

This is a direct link to the rules: link

giogionis18 Jun 2017 4:47 p.m. PST

hey thanks yeah like i said on the frontpage of my web im not a freaking english dictionary, i do this in the best of my capabilities, since wargaming is not a common thing in latin america probably im the only one doing this in the continent writting rules at least south of the us border :)

thanks for the understanding and to mr.Winston Smith sir im not a kid since i guess your an aging man i understand that you are a little bit short on temper and time if you find my stuff lacking why dont you write something good instead of being an armchair critic?

and i will review it and change the font as suggested and if you have the time please post your playtesting i will be playing with this the idea was to make a fast set of rules not a simulation.

also i will be releasing my card driven system for the period as well as soon as i get my cards printed.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2017 7:51 p.m. PST

All I said, Sir, is that if one is "publishing" a set of rules, then one has a duty to make them comprehensible. That includes capitalization and punctuation. I'm fine if you don't find that necessary.

Personal logo Who asked this joker Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 4:52 p.m. PST

I have not read them yet. After a quick scan my one comment would be to use a different font than script. Script to me is too hard to casually read. It may look authentic but adds little to understanding the rules.

giogionis19 Jun 2017 10:23 p.m. PST

hi this is the latest version with a better explanation and some new things a friend of mine reviewed he is very good to find flaws on games so i made some changes enjoy :) link

devsdoc20 Jun 2017 3:20 a.m. PST

giogionis,
I'm English and have problem with writing English. So well done. Thanks for the free rules. I know it looks nice but I would use a different font. That is what stopped me from down-loading them.
Be safe
Rory

keithbarker20 Jun 2017 9:09 a.m. PST

If you like X-Wing and want some fast play Age of Sail rules in that style, try looking at the Sails Of Glory set.

@4D Jones
Even in Spanish I believe they capitalize the first letter in a sentence and use punctuation.

Hafen von Schlockenberg Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2017 10:10 a.m. PST

I wonder what those cards will look like. . .

giogionis20 Jun 2017 11:36 a.m. PST

well i dont like sails of glory thanks but no thanks :) and i really dont care about capitalize or not at least im not sitting on my as s criticizing other people works, when it comes to punctuation that the last freaking thing in the world i care about, be proactive not reactive dude or if you dont understand do something instead of a lazy critic who plays sails of glory cause you cant write your own rules :).

well Hafen von Schlockenberg i dont know if you are being just a critic like the other dudes here but at least im doing something for the wargaming scene if its poorly done by your standards i suggest you should do it then and if not excuse me for my words these are the cards and yes i have errors and will stay that way from this point on i really dont care about punctuation or pleasing somebody so enjoy or dont :)

picture

picture

of course i have corrected some missplaced words but still no caps :) and i will be changing the font for the naval when more playtested is done for the final version.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2017 1:34 p.m. PST

I was going to stay out of this now. I had my say.
But in your first paragraph you just made clear crystal what I already suspected. You don't give a damn whether or not anyone understands what you are trying to do.
And in wargame rules, where clarity is paramount, no less.

What you are saying is that unless I play the oboe, I am not allowed to say that the oboe player was flat during the second movement. Or, since I don't dance, that I can't comment that a ballerina fell off the stage.
I have had my fill of poorly written rules where the writer actually tried to be understood. But in your case, you don't give a damn whether you are or not.

Well, all I can say is I wish you well in your future endeavors.

giogionis20 Jun 2017 2:30 p.m. PST

thanks :) and you are right i dont give a damn about critics :) so i wish you the same

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2017 2:42 p.m. PST

Way back in the last century, I was in college. Several professors said about the same thing when assigning us papers to write.
"If I can't understand what you are trying to say, I'm not going to waste my time guessing."
Several hippie types pouted "This isn't an English class!"
The chemistry professor just looked at one of them and said "Do realize how dangerous chemistry instructions can be if unclear?"

Unclear = flunking grade.

Early morning writer20 Jun 2017 6:21 p.m. PST

giogionis I have over the years been at odds with Winston on various issues within the hobby. But this time I'm not just on board with his mindset, I am unwilling to wish you well in your endeavor since you've put in writing for all to see how little you care for what you are doing. And, YES, I understand the willingness to help others. But that does need to be balanced with evidence that you care enough to put in an adequate level of effort. And your openly expressed feelings towards capitalization and punctuation fail and fail miserably the test of 'adequate effort.' Sure, this is only my opinion and you can put it in your personal trash bin. That is your right. Same place I'll put your rules, sir. Because, in my opinion, it is the only place they deserve to be. Your demonstrative opposition to minimal effort towards 'quality' means I won't waste my time giving your rules a chance. Is that really your goal?

giogionis20 Jun 2017 11:02 p.m. PST

like i care :) Early morning writer if you dont approve that will not stop someone from playing with it or the world starts and ends with you? lol

Houdini21 Jun 2017 5:17 a.m. PST

What is a lol?

SgtPrylo Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2017 6:50 a.m. PST

Well….as an avid fan of Age of Sail and looking at shiny new rules, I was going to check this out.

Until…

giogionis, you aren't doing much to sell the crowd on trying your rules. I would think that even if we came out with constructive criticism to try and help (like say, don't post an example of your cards for a ship game that have to do with land battles), you wouldn't use it because as you stated:'i don't give a damn about critics'.

If you are going to post rules sets on a forum where rules sets have been discussed ad nauseum, you are going to get critics, it's part of the gig. Not all criticism is is bad. But you have presented yourself as combative and more than a bit childish, so I will also pass on reading your rules.

Also, I do create my own rules and/or modify existing ones. Playing existing rules doesn't make a person lazy. It means they found a system they like.

giogionis21 Jun 2017 7:09 p.m. PST

ok SgtPrylo so it means that a person should take all the Bleeped text that is throwed at them and just say thank you mister, yes sir, and walk away no way man if you find my conduct childish well thats up to you but there is no way im backing down im not here to please some old dudes im here to make my stuff good or bad like it or not its my stuff and i share it free and sorry about my CARDS sir the other dude was asking so i share them if you have a problem with that well you know.

devsdoc21 Jun 2017 7:34 p.m. PST

giogionis,
The font on your cards are in a readable font.
I would have got a 2nd person too proofread your work and do the punctuation for you. I am published and was proofread until I was sick of it.
I was only trying to help! but it seems you are above that. Being so good must be hard for you? You put out your work and wait for precise. This you did not get! You did not ask Why? you just hit out!
I would think you may have a hard time getting your rules play-tested by good to middling players. I wish I could wish you "All the best" but I can't! Try looking into a mirror!
Rory

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2017 10:21 p.m. PST

YouTube link

I sympathize with the centurion.

Early morning writer21 Jun 2017 10:55 p.m. PST

Very funny, Winston, a favorite movie – and a favorite scene from the movie.

I suggest we all leave the burro pit alone in his pit now.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.