Help support TMP

"Afghan war Uniforms" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Victorian Colonial Board Message Board

Back to The Sword and The Flame Message Board

699 hits since 10 Jun 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

syracusepops10 Jun 2017 6:16 p.m. PST

Can anyone suggest a good reference for afghan army uniforms for the 2nd Afghan war?

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP10 Jun 2017 7:18 p.m. PST

Foundry website. The Perrys did a very nice range, including Regulars, and Foundry has a nice guide.

willthepiper10 Jun 2017 8:34 p.m. PST

Mad Guru's Maiwand Day blog:

link

Rhingyll Supporting Member of TMP12 Jun 2017 1:20 p.m. PST

Wargames Foundry has Afghan Regulars available under Colonial Northwest Frontier and shows painted models of the sets.There aren't many manufacturers of 25/28mm regulars but the Foundry ones have always been my favorites.

link

link

link

sausagesca14 Jun 2017 1:46 p.m. PST

This question is so often asked (by me too in the past) and the answers always lead to the same few sources. I suppose there is room for a more systematic consideration of the subject. Always appreciate the links -- I had not looked at the Foundry examples in a long time. The Perry figures are very nice and the casting was quite good on these this time.

Nick Stern Supporting Member of TMP15 Jun 2017 12:30 p.m. PST

This brings up the question I've thought of in the past, as to why there are so few contemporary illustrations of the regular Afghan army, given that the conflict was well covered by British journalists and war artists. Afghan soldiers are almost always shown in native dress. I can think of less than half a dozen illustrations of the regulars, mostly of the Highland Guard wearing their faux kilts, which, apparently, they never wore into battle.

SgtGuinness Supporting Member of TMP17 Jun 2017 5:53 p.m. PST

I will 2nd Will's advice. You need go no further than Mad Guru's amazing Maiwand Day blog.

link

Cheers,
JB

SgtGuinness Supporting Member of TMP17 Jun 2017 6:10 p.m. PST

I will 2nd Will's advice. You need go no further than Mad Guru's amazing Maiwand Day blog.

picture

picture

link

Cheers,
JB

Mad Guru Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2017 5:32 p.m. PST

@syracusepops, et al:

The legendary Ian Heath (responsible for the awesome illustrations above as well as the extensive written text that accompanies them, which is also available on my blog) of WRG "Armies & Enemies of Medieval Europe" and Wargames Foundry "Armies of the 19th Century" fame, wrote and I believe illustrated the better part if not all of a reference book featuring a great deal of information on the 19th Century Afghan regular army. Sadly due to the timing of its completion it was not published by Wargames Foundry back in the day. More recently I believe there was some chance of Osprey publishing it, but seems like that is not happening, which is of course a terrible shame for those of us who have posted on this page and all who share this particular interest.

Maybe someone could launch an effort to convince Osprey to bring this book to market. With the recent seeming increase in gaming the Second Afghan War fueled by the Artizan and Perry ranges and the release of TMWWBK (also published by Osprey), such an effort might have a chance to succeed.

PS Thanks to willthepiper and my pal Sgt. Guiness for posting links to and pics from my humble blog!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.