Help support TMP

"Making of a harbor. Langton miniatures scale 1/1200" Topic

42 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Naval Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

1,496 hits since 16 May 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 6:57 a.m. PST

Hello I add a link where you can follow the progress of builing a harbor in XVIII or ealry XIX century.

I hope you like it.

Best regards,
Julián

link

lloydthegamer Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 7:10 a.m. PST

Great work, thanks so much for sharing your progress. Let us know when it is finished!

whitejamest17 May 2017 8:36 a.m. PST

It's looking fantastic Julian, I really look forward to seeing it completed. Please continue to post updates!

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 4:52 p.m. PST

Nice work.

Personal logo gaiusrabirius Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 6:08 p.m. PST

Julián, did you sculpt the houses yourself, or are they available for sale somewhere?

BrianW17 May 2017 6:35 p.m. PST

Julian
That is very nice! I had been thinking about trying to make my buildings interchangable so that I could rearrange the city as needed. I still haven't figured out how to make that work yet though.
BWW

Volunteer Fezian Inactive Member17 May 2017 10:39 p.m. PST

Julian, I thought there was no way you could top Havana. I was wrong. This port is even better! I love it! Just awesome, wow!

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 3:42 a.m. PST

Thank you all comments.

I will post more advance works.
Regarding the buildings. You can buy this buildings in three website

Langton miniatures:
link
link

Hispania Sails
https://hispaniasails.com

And my own website:
link

BrianW. It is a good idea but I think it would only be viable for a city in plain, without different heights. You could make blocks of buildings glued to sheets. For the sheets you could use this item that could be useful. link

Vol. Havana was different to build. A very hard work was that.

Lascaris18 May 2017 8:31 a.m. PST

Really beautiful work. Can't wait to see it finished.

BrianW18 May 2017 9:13 a.m. PST

Julian,
I think you're right. It would only work for a city that is fairly flat. I do like those plasticard sheets, and will have to see if they are available here in the US.

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 11:21 a.m. PST

That's really lovely.

This uses a lot of the techniques I thought to do for a model of Gibraltar, but I doubt I could make it look this nice. Or finish it at all…. :-\

- Ix

Bozkashi Jones18 May 2017 2:04 p.m. PST

Gorgeous

Volunteer Fezian Inactive Member18 May 2017 10:39 p.m. PST

Havana was an awesome work as well on a much grander scale.

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 11:10 a.m. PST

Vol: It is quite possible that I will not do such a big work again like that, very hard. It is much more affordable to make only harbors.

devsdoc19 May 2017 4:01 p.m. PST

Yes I understand that. But what is a big harbour with no town or city to back it up? I made my town so it looked as if it was only a part of a bigger place. This way I can have the right look but it is still for naval games.
Be safe
Rory
P.S. I've made one harbour with a town. I will not make a second! I spent too much money and time making it.

BrianW19 May 2017 6:47 p.m. PST

Rory
Could you post a link to your harbor and town? Right now I'm sort of trolling for ideas, as I'm going to try one here soon.
BWW

Volunteer Fezian Inactive Member19 May 2017 10:05 p.m. PST

Brian,

Go to my blog to see Rory's harbor posted in November 2014.

Mine is there as well posted in December 2012.

BrianW19 May 2017 10:11 p.m. PST

Cool, thanks!
BWW

EDIT: Oh my, yes Rory's and yours are both very similar to what I had in mind. Do you mind if I steal some photos from your blog later?
BWW

Phil the french19 May 2017 11:04 p.m. PST

Magnificient!

devsdoc20 May 2017 3:08 a.m. PST

BrainW,
Used a steel-plate for the harbour base as it and Langton's harbour floor match the (as we call in to U.K.) Hard-board I used as the base for the town for height. The steel is strong and thin. For it's size the town bit weighs the most. Lots of metal buildings added. For a start I used Langton's harbour set with one harbour wall arm added too. Also added extra harbour floors. At this time space = money. So European towns had lots of buildings on narrow streets. Use lots of buildings. Used lots of the building rows from Langton's. A smaller tightly packed town will look better and right for the period, than a bigger open-plan one.
Hope this helps your planning of your harbour.
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer Fezian Inactive Member22 May 2017 12:43 p.m. PST

Brian you are more than welcome to steal anything from my blog. Julian's stuff is a real inspiration as well IMO.

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP23 May 2017 1:08 p.m. PST

Updating works at the harbor.

link
link
link

Regards,
Julián

Volunteer Fezian Inactive Member23 May 2017 8:43 p.m. PST

Wonderful Julián. I still love the heights best

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP24 May 2017 2:41 a.m. PST

thank you Vol!

SgtPrylo24 May 2017 6:35 a.m. PST

Good grief Julian….is hate too strong a word? That is ridiculously good, an absolute 'whoa' moment to look at.

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP24 May 2017 9:31 a.m. PST

Thank you SgtPrylo

BrianW24 May 2017 6:47 p.m. PST

Wow,Julian. Talk about raising the bar!
BWW

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP02 Jun 2017 10:48 a.m. PST

Hello, I add some photos about updates of the harbor, I hope you like it and have a nice weekend.

link

link

link

link

whitejamest02 Jun 2017 11:12 a.m. PST

It's truly spectacular Julian, a real thing of beauty. If you get any games in with this I hope you'll post pictures! It would be such a great setting for a cutting-out scenario or other raid.

devsdoc02 Jun 2017 2:12 p.m. PST

Julian,
This looks very nice. Is it for you or is it for sale? Will we see this lovely harbour as James asked, on your gaming table? I think not.
I do love your work, but most of it is for sale! That I find hard! This a sad point about your work! It does not take away how good your work is. But it is for gain. Folks post ships and models to show the work they do for there own games and building up fleets with the wish to show or play with. My work is no way as good as yours, but I try! All my work is for me or for friends. You use our ideas to make your models better for a price. e.g. The towing of ships boats, from Vol! I too nick and use things from this site to make my ships look better, but it's for my own use. Not for selling on.
You show only as a business and too make money. This I find heartless. This is why I find it very hard to say anything good about your lovely work.
I do wish you and your clients all the best and joy of your models. Sorry Julian, this is how I feel about your work.
Be safe
Rory

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP02 Jun 2017 3:08 p.m. PST

I respect your opinion Rory but keep in mind that many people can not, do not want or do not have time to do modeling, but they would love to be able to play these games, according to you, they could not have any collection of ships or harbors. I have seen other forums here, Napoleonic, XVIII… and many painters show their works, with pride and satisfaction. In none of the open threads I have seen any complaint by any member, except today, here.

"You use our ideas to make your models better for a price," For goodness sake!

"The towing of ships, from Vol!" If it refers to the towing operation of ships leaving port. This operation is the most basic operation performed in a port. There is no reason why I have to plagiarize anything, I simply represent in my style everyday situations.

"You show only as a business and make money." And my question is: What's wrong with that? I pay my taxes as a freelancer in my country, it's an honest job, just what objection is there?

"This I find heartless". As I told you at the beginning, that is your opinion.

"This is why I found it very hard to say anything good about your lovely work." You've already said it all.

As a final conclusion I want to say that if the publications I make do not comply with the legality of this forum, let the owner of the forum let me know so I will not publish more works.

Good night

Long Valley Gamer Supporting Member of TMP02 Jun 2017 7:15 p.m. PST

Julian,
Everyone loves your work. Money has nothing to do with it. It's the art that takes precedence.You post it so we all can appreciate it.If someone buys it…good for you!
An artist that sells his work doesn't make it any less enjoyable to the viewer and shouldn't be criticized for it.
Please keep showing your work…

devsdoc03 Jun 2017 8:25 p.m. PST

Hi Julian,
Glad to hear that you pay your taxes. I pay mine too!
I stand by my above post.
We as a Hobby need folks like you, Model manufactures, painting services and the like.
Most advertise there trade, on this site along the top of the pages. I have not seen any of yours!
The frist time I saw ship-boats being towed by a S.O.L. on a wargaming model was on Vol's ships. After which you started doing it too. I have helped you too with rigging of different nations ships. I thought I was helping a fellow hobbyist. This is what I do and also use myself.
It was sometime after that Vol told me of your Facebook page showing your ships for sale. If you had been a little more open about your plans I would understand more.
You are a great painter Julian, No one can or would say differently. I found it a little funny that we saw no A.A.R. or photos of your ships on a wargaming table. You post on what I know of four sites as a hobbyist.
I feel a little used by you.
This cannot be changed as it is in pass.
As said before I wish you well and your customers joy with your ships and models. Don't stop posting, just be open about it. Say you sale your work! Say how much they are, or how much a like model would cost! You may get more business that way.
Be safe
Rory

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP04 Jun 2017 2:47 a.m. PST

Rory,

First. In this thread I can only put my work. There are other Forum here for exposing sales and bids.

Second. Almost all of the works I have put are not for sale because they are already sold. Here, I only show my work, I do not intend to sell anything, as I said you, I have other means to sell including my web page.

Third. You say: "The frist time I was shipped to be SOLD on a wargaming model was on Vol's ships. I thought I was doing it too. Helping a fellow hobbyist. This is what I do and also use myself.
It was sometime after that I told you of your Facebook page showing your ships for sale. If you had been a little more open about your plans I would understand more. "

I add some expersion you used when you keep in touch with me by mail to help me with the rigging:

"I'm only trying to help you. What you do is yours and your business, not mine."

This gives me to understand that you knew perfectly well that I was selling the boats when you collaborated with me.
I just think you're trying to make me feel guilty now, which does not work.

Fourth. You say: "As said before I wish you well and your customers joy with your ships and models. Model would cost! You may get more business that way. "

Thank you for the advice, but it is not the place to inform the customer about the price. If you want to know any price you can mail to my website: web@modeljship.com

Have a good day.

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2017 6:45 a.m. PST

Hello, I add the final photos abotu the harbor.

I hope you like it.

Best regards,
Julián

link

link

link

link

link

link

More photos here:
link

Long Valley Gamer Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2017 7:14 a.m. PST

Absolutely love it!!!

whitejamest06 Jun 2017 1:01 p.m. PST

It's incredibly gorgeous Julian, I love it. Can I ask roughly how long you think it has taken to make as a whole?

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2017 2:37 p.m. PST

Thank you mates,

whitejamest: It takes me a mounth aproximately.

StarCruiser06 Jun 2017 3:34 p.m. PST

Off the charts…

I wouldn't want to risk it actually gaming!

Volunteer Fezian Inactive Member06 Jun 2017 9:31 p.m. PST

Your best work yet Julian. I just spent an hour devouring all of your harbor photos over on The Anchorage. I am very envious of your skill and artistry. Perfect backgrounds and photography to show it off too. Bravo, I take my hat off to you sir!

BrianW06 Jun 2017 10:12 p.m. PST

Damn, Julian. You make me want to call up Rob at Waterloo Minis and tell him to put those buildings I ordered back on the shelf. What are you using for your sky backdrop?
BWW

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP07 Jun 2017 12:10 a.m. PST

Thank you mates for all your comments.

BrianW: The backdrop is painted by me. I use a foam pvc sheet and painted with acrylic paintings.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.