Help support TMP

"Making of a harbor. Langton miniatures scale 1/1200" Topic

26 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Naval Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

654 hits since 17 May 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 7:57 a.m. PST

Hello I add a link where you can follow the progress of builing a harbor in XVIII or ealry XIX century.

I hope you like it.

Best regards,
Julián

link

lloydthegamer Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 8:10 a.m. PST

Great work, thanks so much for sharing your progress. Let us know when it is finished!

whitejamest17 May 2017 9:36 a.m. PST

It's looking fantastic Julian, I really look forward to seeing it completed. Please continue to post updates!

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 5:52 p.m. PST

Nice work.

Personal logo gaiusrabirius Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 7:08 p.m. PST

Julián, did you sculpt the houses yourself, or are they available for sale somewhere?

Personal logo BrianW Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 7:35 p.m. PST

Julian
That is very nice! I had been thinking about trying to make my buildings interchangable so that I could rearrange the city as needed. I still haven't figured out how to make that work yet though.
BWW

Volunteer Fezian17 May 2017 11:39 p.m. PST

Julian, I thought there was no way you could top Havana. I was wrong. This port is even better! I love it! Just awesome, wow!

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 4:42 a.m. PST

Thank you all comments.

I will post more advance works.
Regarding the buildings. You can buy this buildings in three website

Langton miniatures:
link
link

Hispania Sails
https://hispaniasails.com

And my own website:
link

BrianW. It is a good idea but I think it would only be viable for a city in plain, without different heights. You could make blocks of buildings glued to sheets. For the sheets you could use this item that could be useful. link

Vol. Havana was different to build. A very hard work was that.

Lascaris18 May 2017 9:31 a.m. PST

Really beautiful work. Can't wait to see it finished.

Personal logo BrianW Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 10:13 a.m. PST

Julian,
I think you're right. It would only work for a city that is fairly flat. I do like those plasticard sheets, and will have to see if they are available here in the US.

Yellow Admiral18 May 2017 12:21 p.m. PST

That's really lovely.

This uses a lot of the techniques I thought to do for a model of Gibraltar, but I doubt I could make it look this nice. Or finish it at all…. :-\

- Ix

Bozkashi Jones18 May 2017 3:04 p.m. PST

Gorgeous

Volunteer Fezian18 May 2017 11:39 p.m. PST

Havana was an awesome work as well on a much grander scale.

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 12:10 p.m. PST

Vol: It is quite possible that I will not do such a big work again like that, very hard. It is much more affordable to make only harbors.

devsdoc19 May 2017 5:01 p.m. PST

Yes I understand that. But what is a big harbour with no town or city to back it up? I made my town so it looked as if it was only a part of a bigger place. This way I can have the right look but it is still for naval games.
Be safe
Rory
P.S. I've made one harbour with a town. I will not make a second! I spent too much money and time making it.

Personal logo BrianW Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 7:47 p.m. PST

Rory
Could you post a link to your harbor and town? Right now I'm sort of trolling for ideas, as I'm going to try one here soon.
BWW

Volunteer Fezian19 May 2017 11:05 p.m. PST

Brian,

Go to my blog to see Rory's harbor posted in November 2014.

Mine is there as well posted in December 2012.

Personal logo BrianW Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 11:11 p.m. PST

Cool, thanks!
BWW

EDIT: Oh my, yes Rory's and yours are both very similar to what I had in mind. Do you mind if I steal some photos from your blog later?
BWW

Phil the french20 May 2017 12:04 a.m. PST

Magnificient!

devsdoc20 May 2017 4:08 a.m. PST

BrainW,
Used a steel-plate for the harbour base as it and Langton's harbour floor match the (as we call in to U.K.) Hard-board I used as the base for the town for height. The steel is strong and thin. For it's size the town bit weighs the most. Lots of metal buildings added. For a start I used Langton's harbour set with one harbour wall arm added too. Also added extra harbour floors. At this time space = money. So European towns had lots of buildings on narrow streets. Use lots of buildings. Used lots of the building rows from Langton's. A smaller tightly packed town will look better and right for the period, than a bigger open-plan one.
Hope this helps your planning of your harbour.
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer Fezian22 May 2017 1:43 p.m. PST

Brian you are more than welcome to steal anything from my blog. Julian's stuff is a real inspiration as well IMO.

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP23 May 2017 2:08 p.m. PST

Updating works at the harbor.

link
link
link

Regards,
Julián

Volunteer Fezian23 May 2017 9:43 p.m. PST

Wonderful Julián. I still love the heights best

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP24 May 2017 3:41 a.m. PST

thank you Vol!

SgtPrylo Supporting Member of TMP24 May 2017 7:35 a.m. PST

Good grief Julian….is hate too strong a word? That is ridiculously good, an absolute 'whoa' moment to look at.

ModelJShip Supporting Member of TMP24 May 2017 10:31 a.m. PST

Thank you SgtPrylo

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.