Help support TMP

"One-Hour Wargames AARs and Big Battle Prep" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Dark Ages Message Board

Back to the Medieval Discussion Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Medieval Battle Reports Message Board

633 hits since 16 May 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Queen Catherine16 May 2017 10:01 p.m. PST

We're preparing a large multi-scenario multi-player oHw game.

Some of the preps and thoughts are here, courtesy of our primary blogger:
link

Haven't tried this yet, but don't see why it wont work!

Calico Bill16 May 2017 10:18 p.m. PST

Looks excellent! I love these rules.

Queen Catherine17 May 2017 5:58 a.m. PST

I think the key is to understand just what the difference is between these and the typical rules.

The One-Hour Wargames rules are about playing the scenario, being mission-focused, and accomplishing the objective.

Most wargame rules are so bogged down in details and minutiae that it's impossible to think like a real commander who "has people that take care of that" and work towards accomplishing that objective. Instead, we spend loads of time plowing thru big QRS or the rulebook trying to answer a mechanics question of "how do skirmishers flee from catafracts" or something.

While there's a place for those types of games even today, it is a swiftly shrinking place, and I'm noting that the people who play those rules are getting quite old.

Anyway, with that in mind and staying focused on the design intent, it seems like it should be possible to play these rules in a large group setting.

That being said, it did pay to playtest the scenarios for the makeup of the armies, and we did make some changes:

In scenario 4:

picture

And Scenario 8:

picture

Jozis Tin Man Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2017 6:02 a.m. PST

Looks great! I am currently on a OHW AWI kick, but just received a box of Dark Ages figures from Baccus yesterday, so am thinking along these lines for my next project.

Thank you for sharing!!!!

Queen Catherine17 May 2017 6:39 a.m. PST

You're welcome. The "generic" rules we worked out for Horse and Musket are here:
link

These were "as close to RAW as possible" I think, but haven't played them in a while.

For AWI, we let some infantry units charge like Cavalry instead of shooting, but with a shorter move distance, of course.

Queen Catherine18 May 2017 7:02 a.m. PST

Ok, final result, and lessons learned. Game went well, but I've tried to summarize for running a big battle game:
link

Image of the board set up by the host:
Scenario 4

picture

Scenario 8:

picture

Scenario 10:

picture

I didn't have the right distance in the gaming room to take a pic of the entire battlefield.

Queen Catherine18 May 2017 7:52 a.m. PST

I've added in the player feedback I received. I think it would be helpful for anyone planning to run a large multi-player OHW.

Olivero19 May 2017 5:43 a.m. PST

Fantastic idea! Only, I think, if you have experienced players, "combining" the scenarios (=free movement across the table" would give more challenges to think about ("do I support or not….?") and fuse it all togehter.

Queen Catherine19 May 2017 6:49 p.m. PST

Hey Olivero,
Yeah, but it also gives them the opportunity to gang up on an unfortunate person. We've mitigated such issues with certain types of games, but I wanted to respect the original scenarios and design intent as much as possible.

In the future, I plan to do a bit game, and I may in fact "combine" the scenarios in some way – no reason not to with the right planning [and playtesting].

Queen Catherine24 May 2017 6:24 a.m. PST

One of my pals has done something really useful with the 30 OHW scenarios – he copied, laminated and cut them up. For those of us who work and learn visually, this is incredibly useful and a great idea:
link

picture

picture

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.