Help support TMP

"So, What Do We Need For Gold Coast/Ashantiland in 15mm?" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to The Sword and The Flame Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

378 hits since 13 May 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Smokey Roan Inactive Member14 May 2017 8:11 p.m. PST

Lots of nice options for figures we need. Blue Moon, Irregular, Rebel, and more.

That covers all the civilians, native villagers, many British/European figures, plus the variety you might like in your scenario, like Bashi's, askaris, Zanzibari's, etc.

That leaves the major players. Assuming we want the 3rd Ashanti War and/or that time frame (1870's, 80's)with options to play most Gold Coast scenarios, I'd say we need a large set of Ashanti's. Musket armed, mostly. Some with swords. And leaders. Maybe 10 musket poses, and 5 leaders, flag bearers, drummers swordsman et al poses.

We probably need British regulars in the casual dress they wore in the 3rd war. ( tunic less, shirt clad, which would also be useful in general for all colonial gaming) Same kit, same Martini, same hat, just the "polo" button down shirt. That would be great for Rorkes Drift and such, for hospital defenders, etc.

Fantis? (The British allies, a Coastal tribe, scantilly clad, but not typical "Darkest Africa" style primitive natives). Ones that would work for many African genres. No askaris in terms of uniforms, but generic natives, you know what I envision.

Anyway, seems like 3 robust sets of figures would be a real windfall to us gamers?

Smokey Roan Inactive Member14 May 2017 8:12 p.m. PST

Lots of nice options for figures we need. Blue Moon, Irregular, Rebel, and more.

That covers all the civilians, native villagers, many British/European figures, plus the variety you might like in your scenario, like Bashi's, askaris, Zanzibari's, etc.

That leaves the major players. Assuming we want the 3rd Ashanti War and/or that time frame (1870's, 80's)with options to play most Gold Coast scenarios, I'd say we need a large set of Ashanti's. Musket armed, mostly. Some with swords. And leaders. Maybe 10 musket poses, and 5 leaders, flag bearers, drummers swordsman et al poses.

We probably need British regulars in the casual dress they wore in the 3rd war. ( tunic less, shirt clad, which would also be useful in general for all colonial gaming) Same kit, same Martini, same hat, just the "polo" button down shirt. That would be great for Rorkes Drift and such, for hospital defenders, etc.

Fantis? (The British allies, a Coastal tribe, scantilly clad, but not typical "Darkest Africa" style primitive natives). Ones that would work for many African genres. No askaris in terms of uniforms, but generic natives, you know what I envision.

Anyway, seems like 3 robust sets of figures would be a real windfall to us gamers?

Durban Gamer15 May 2017 3:30 a.m. PST

True there are still many gaps in Colonial types available in 15mm. I collect only 15mm, not 18mm which I don't see the point of.

Kevin C Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2017 5:53 a.m. PST

Smokey,

I understand your interest in 19th century colonial figures, I find the particular genre interesting as well. The period lends itslef to both skirmish level and larger level battles, you can battle in exotic locations, and a number of armies can be used in multiple campaigns (for example, the British in NWF, the Sudan, the Boer Wars, the Boxer Rebellion, etc.). The question that I have is, why do you not use 28mm (25mm) figures? If you made the switch, you would have a lot more diversity of miniatures from which to select, they are easier to paint, and given the small scale of many of the battles, the expense is not that great. I think if you made the transition to 28mm, you would have less trouble finding the miniatures that you desire.

Smokey Roan Inactive Member15 May 2017 9:16 a.m. PST

Kevin, I started with 1/72 plastics (as I used to make dioramas before gaming).

My first 28mms were zombies and Old West for Gutshot, and a nice Chaos in Cairo setup

For Colonial, I started in 15mm because of….probably cost, and the fact that I am kinda a obsessive scratchbuilder.

I get to watching Miami Hurricnes baseball, basketball, and build like a fool. My Sudan/Egypt terrain can fill every square inch of a 6x10 table with buildings. :o

I literally have 4 stacks of 2x4" plastic crates six feet high (they are 6" tall)of buildings and trees and such.

The Old Mexico village in 28mm I sent to Murphy filled two 3x3x3 boxes.

I'd be overun with stuff in 28mm.

Plus, it's expensive 8 units of TSATF Dervish in 28mm? 160 figs for what, 2-3 bucks a figure?

Oh yeah, we can also blame Micheal Renniger (Rebel Minis) I was all 28mm, until we talked for an hour at a con once, and he gave me some 15mm figs. I was hooked! Yes, lets blame Mikey!

How long would it take me to paint up and acquire a Colonial mass in 28mm? I'm 5o, and I like to swim with gators and sharks, and I pick up and pet poisonous snakes and other dangerous wildlife I encounter fishing, hiking, hunting, disc golf, etc. (sometimes I get bit) I could die any day. :)

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member15 May 2017 11:54 a.m. PST

What about Irregular, they have a dedicated Benin line, and lots of other stuff under Colonials.

Oops, just saw they got covered in the OP!

Smokey Roan Inactive Member15 May 2017 11:58 a.m. PST

Yep, alredy communicated with Ian at Irreg.

They will be of great service, but we still need a dedicated line

Durban Gamer16 May 2017 3:39 a.m. PST

Smokey I agree, one of the problems with going bigger than 15mm is going to be the space taken up by terrain pieces. When I retired and had to downsize on the house, I was so glad I had stuck to true 15mm and smaller for my preferred periods!

Kevin C Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2017 1:12 p.m. PST

"…I pick up and pet poisonous snakes and other dangerous wildlife I encounter fishing, hiking, hunting, disc golf, etc. (sometimes I get bit) I could die any day."

You should use a gun like I do. It's much safer. That's why they call it gun safety.

Kevin

Smokey Roan Inactive Member16 May 2017 3:07 p.m. PST

gUYS i DISC GOLf WITH (REDNECKS) shoot poisonous snaked on sight when we play. I loudly protest.

We've had ONE guy get bit by a Pygmy Rattler, when he reached into a Palmetto to retrieve a disc. 65 years old, insisted on finishing the round, almost died. His hand swellled up like nothing you've ever seen!

My ex wife used to stop her car, get out, and shoot rattlers and copperheads on the road.

WHY? He's just a snake! Shouldn'ta done that!

Matter of fact, the ONLY time I am not carrying a gun is when I golf. (except when I play at Barnett Park in Crime Hills, Orlando)

I've had one time in my life when a poisonous snake was mean to me. Moccosin, and I had picked him up by the middle (felt a snake brush my leg in swamp on disc golf course, and just grabbed and picked up. Brought it up to my face, I assumed it was a Brown Water Snake)

Copperheds, coral snakes, pygmies, (never got to pick up a diamondback), they are friendly if you are a nice person.

I hate snake killing!

Durban, if my Sudan figs and terrain were 28mm, it would take a 20x10 table, and several thousand dollars worth of figs. And painting 28mms? I paint five 15mm guys at a time, on paint stirrer stick. Can crank out 10 figures lying in bed, watching South park before bed, in an hour.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.