Help support TMP

"Large skirmish fantasy rules" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

434 hits since 13 May 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Black Cavalier13 May 2017 10:35 p.m. PST

First, let me say I'm positive i posted this same question a few months ago here on Tmp, but now i cant find it. So sorry if it's a repeat.

I'm looking for fantasy rules that are about the same size forces as Dragon Rampant, but with more detailed differences between the races. So about 50-60 figures in units of 5-10 figures each, and preferably with the unit not in blocks, but in more skirmish order.

I like the Dragon rampant mechanics, but can't get over how same the armies feel with all the armies coming from the same base list.

I know there's Age of Sigmar, and the One Page Rules versions of Warhammer. And maybe even the earliest versions of Warhammer might fit my description. And I know I could introduce my own racial differences to Dragon Rampant.

But setting those ideas aside for the moment, are there any others?

Thanks for the help

Codsticker14 May 2017 10:37 p.m. PST

I'm looking for fantasy rules that are about the same size forces as Dragon Rampant, but with more detailed differences between the races. So about 50-60 figures in units of 5-10 figures each, and preferably with the unit not in blocks, but in more skirmish order.

You know it sounds like you are describing The Hobbit.

Personal logo Weasel Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2017 10:14 a.m. PST

This is still in beta testing, but maybe give our project "An Orc Too Far' a glance?

We're still working on racial rules but there's enough to test and work with.

Units are 6 figures (3 for cavalry and beasts) and it plays extremely quickly.
link

Mick the Metalsmith15 May 2017 3:28 p.m. PST

Bathtub 2HW rules. Song of blades and heroes with units is not hard either. As long as you only worry about leaders of the squad and do a group move instead of individuals it would work fine for even 2 player games. If multiplayer RAW will work to for that level of figs.

Black Cavalier16 May 2017 10:05 a.m. PST

RAW?

Andy Skinner Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2017 5:33 p.m. PST

You might try looking at the One Page Rules systems.

https://onepagerules.com

The fantasy versions are called Age of Fantasy. There is a skirmish version for a handful of figures, and a Regiments version for blocks of figures. But the basic Age of Fantasy is what I think of as large skirmish. The stats are based off of Warhammer figures, but I've used them for LotR figures.

Here is a battle report:
link

andy

Mick the Metalsmith17 May 2017 4:23 a.m. PST

Rules as Written meaning 2HW or SoBH without adaptation. Sorry about the jargon

Black Cavalier17 May 2017 7:34 a.m. PST

Hehe, I thought you were taking about some sort of WWE RAW wrestling rules.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.