Help support TMP

"Three rule sets evaluated" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Getting Started with Early 20th Century Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with WWII Naval Message Board

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

Back to the WWII Naval Discussion Message Board

576 hits since 14 Apr 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Queen Catherine14 Apr 2017 7:39 p.m. PST

DELETED

Queen Catherine16 Apr 2017 9:29 a.m. PST

Boy, I can't seem to win with getting this post up.

Overview of GQ3 / FAI, Avalanche Press, and Naval Thunder.

link

Actual reviews and comparison playtests in the future.

Mobius17 Apr 2017 8:14 a.m. PST

I had hoped you played the same scenario with all three rules to get a proper comparison.

Queen Catherine17 Apr 2017 8:36 a.m. PST

Hey Mobius,
Yeah, I'm going to do that in the near future this was just an overview and initial thoughts, per the post. At the moment, I'm still getting myself organized with the rules themselves and finishing up some of the models.

First playtest will be WWII in 1/2400, in the Solomons as that's what I have models most ready for.

Anchors aweigh!

Pirate190018 Apr 2017 7:25 p.m. PST

Good luck with the play tests. Been thinking about getting Avalanche Press's Jutland.

Queen Catherine21 Apr 2017 3:06 p.m. PST

It's really good – expensive, but thorough and there's loads and loads of playing in it. I think it really puts forward how all naval battles are caused by some sort of strategic concern – very different from many land battles.

As a surprise, the entire Baltic is also on map, and it is just as interesting a naval conflict as the North Sea, IMHO, so it is really like getting two naval campaigns.

Queen Catherine26 Apr 2017 3:13 p.m. PST

OK, I lied – I'm painting my WWII, so I decided to try 1898 instead.
link
However, the principles are the same. AP rules are pretty similar for our eval purposes.

I will get to the WWII stuff, uncertain in what order it will be.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.