Help support TMP

"Whar base size for prone WWII prone machine gun team" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Models Review Message Board

831 hits since 8 Apr 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

RebelPaul Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2017 5:50 a.m. PST

Hello

What size base should I use for a prone machine gun team as well as a static heavy machine gun team? Will 60 mm do?

Thanks.

Paul

RebelPaul Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2017 5:50 a.m. PST

Hello

What size base should I use for a prone machine gun team as well as a static heavy machine gun team? Will 60 mm do?

Thanks.

Paul

RebelPaul Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2017 5:51 a.m. PST

Oops Sorry!

Joes Shop Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2017 6:16 a.m. PST

RP: what figure scale are you using-?

Hafen von Schlockenberg Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2017 6:36 a.m. PST

Is this a trick question?

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP09 Apr 2017 6:40 a.m. PST

60mm will work for prone teams but I'm not sure about prone prone teams. Maybe 80mm?

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP09 Apr 2017 7:39 a.m. PST

Whatever your chosen rules say…

martin goddard Sponsoring Member of TMP09 Apr 2017 7:43 a.m. PST

I would keep it as small as possible so that the team can be pushed up against cover and other bases.A big base resting ona roof or hedge can look odd.

28mm Fanatik09 Apr 2017 8:48 a.m. PST

Assuming you're talking about 28mm scale, 60mm bases are what I use for prone 2-man LMG and light mortar teams. They are just wide enough that no parts of the prone figures or MG are extending beyond the base.

Incidentally, 60mm bases are also what I use for 3-man HMG and heavy mortar teams.

fantasque09 Apr 2017 11:40 a.m. PST

3 furlongs wide by 2 chains deep

zoneofcontrol Inactive Member09 Apr 2017 1:16 p.m. PST

As mentioned, depends on the scale of the figures and the rules. I base my teams separately to accommodate for casualties. Not sure if that makes sense for what you have and what you want to do.

Martin Rapier09 Apr 2017 9:59 p.m. PST

My 6mm, 15m and 20mm prone LMG teams go on exactly the same size bases as their standing up counterparts.

Vigilant10 Apr 2017 2:38 a.m. PST

Set up the figures on a piece of paper and draw around them giving as much space as you are happy with, then measure and use a base to match.

Mark 1 Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2017 2:19 p.m. PST

60mm? Oh good grief no. 1/3rd of that does fine for me.

I use U.S. pennies. They are about 19mm in diameter.

I've used smaller square bases, but as with Martin I have standardized on one size base for my squads and my fire teams, so whether it is a full squad (represented by 4 or 5 figures) or a team (represented by 2 figures) it goes on a penny.

I find pennies to be very convenient. You can get 100 of them for a dollar (beat that price!), and you almost never find that you run out of bases when you still have a few more figures to complete your unit. (If you do run out, just check between the cushions on your couch -- you're bound to find what you need.)

Oh, and my scale is 6mm.

-Mark
(aka: Mk 1)

28mm Fanatik10 Apr 2017 3:09 p.m. PST

Go with 60mm. They look very nice on these bases. Use markers for casualties rather than separating the team. The ammo belt needs to feed into the machinegun.

picture

picture

picture

Mark 1 Supporting Member of TMP13 Apr 2017 2:31 p.m. PST

Well our friend RebelPaul has still not chimed in on his figure scale, so …

Here is a Romanian squad with 2-man prone LMG team and 2 rifleman, all on a 19-mm diameter stand (as described above).

I could probably put a whole platoon on a 60mm base. So no, 60mm is too big for me.

The scale matters, don't you know. In some cases 60mm might be too small.

-Mark
(aka: Mk 1)

p.s.
Oh, and no, I don't paint the brass on an MG belt for an LMG for my Romanians, nor my Russians, French, Italians or Brits. In most cases I don't for my US either.
d.s.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.