Help support TMP

"Fantasy and Sci-Fi at Little Wars?" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

559 hits since 3 Apr 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2017 2:59 p.m. PST

Just a question for those who attended Little Wars.
What fantasy and sci-fi gaming did you notice and/or participate in?

I realize could just consult the event list, but I'm more interested in first-hand accounts and games notable enough to be seen and remembered by attendees.

I attended and ran a large scale Mecha Combat game a Little Wars for a 3 years before moving to just Adepticon in 2016. For the past couple years I've really only had time to attend one convention and Adepticon was more in line with my general gaming interests.

Now however I'm considering planning ahead enough to attend both in 2018 and I'm curious what kind of fantasy and sci-fi gaming presence there is.

TGerritsen Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2017 4:33 p.m. PST

Little Wars isn't until the end of April so there won't be any accounts from this year for awhile. I've personally run several sci-fi games there and always had them well attended. I find Little Wars to be quite friendly to both Fantasy and Sci-Fi without taking away from historical games.

With it's new venue (at the old location for Adepticon) Little Wars seems to be on a bit of an uptick.

If you come back, I'll definitely play in your games.

Striker03 Apr 2017 4:41 p.m. PST

I'll be running Monster Island with the regular crew of critters. Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, etc. I've played in 2 Star Wars games (both really fun) and Aliens which was also good.

Rich Bliss Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2017 6:52 p.m. PST

The times I've run S-F at Litte Was have always resulted in full games.

Personal logo capncarp Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2017 7:45 p.m. PST

Gasp! Non-historical games that people played and enjoyed!?!?
No wonder the Kaiju are making more frequent appearances--It's the End Of The World, I tell you!

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP04 Apr 2017 7:08 a.m. PST

Thanks for the responses folks.

I could have waited til afterwards (I'll be looking for coverage then also), but I kind of wanted to see which games still made an impression a year later.

I briefly consdidered attending just as an attendee this year, but I'm organizing a get-together of Chicago area bass guitarists that Sunday and i've got to see my family sometime…

Any other games or fantasy and sci-fi experiences that made an impression?

Also, how were the swap meets last year? I recall that 2012-2014 had great swaps and it seemed to shrink a bit in 2015.

Personal logo Martian Root Canal Supporting Member of TMP04 Apr 2017 7:17 a.m. PST
lasalle01204 Apr 2017 4:27 p.m. PST

There will be a very large All Quiet on the Martian front game played on Saturday. There will be 4 tables, each table will be 12x6. To date it will be the largest AQMF game played.

Chgowiz05 Apr 2017 9:04 a.m. PST

I'm running two Ral Partha Chaos Wars games based in my fantasy campaign world at Little Wars – Sat 9am, Sun 10am.

The Colonel KC24 Apr 2017 9:10 a.m. PST

Thank you for running Sci Fi/Fantasy events at Little Wars this year. Please be sure to get your pair of the promotional LW 2017 GM dice

Chgowiz27 Apr 2017 8:02 a.m. PST

@TheColonelKC

How do we get those? :)

The Colonel KC27 Apr 2017 8:08 a.m. PST

GM a game at Little Wars for a pair. Or you can purchase the convention dice at registration (different version)

Chgowiz01 May 2017 2:35 p.m. PST

@KC – got 'em in the GM bag. You guys treated us very well, thank you for making my first LW a great one. I will be back with more Chaos Wars next year… maybe even a *gasp* HOTT game.

PS… more brownies, please… :D I'll sing for them again!

The Colonel KC02 May 2017 5:32 a.m. PST

Chgowiz, thanks for the feedback, and running your event. Our staff and I really appreciate it. We will be looking forward to seeing you again in 2018. Before next April comes around, have you considered singing lessons?

Chgowiz02 May 2017 7:25 a.m. PST

Why do I need lessons? I'm a rock star in the shower! ;) :D

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.