Help support TMP

"Command Stand Positioning" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

677 hits since 30 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

GlacierMI30 Mar 2017 10:27 a.m. PST

Say I have a stand for 4 miniatures..

(X1) (X2) (X3) (x4)

which location would be the

Drummer – bugler (hornist?)
Officer
NCO (if no NCO, I will say Soldier)
Standard Bearer

Thanks.. just want them to take their true position.

Paul B30 Mar 2017 10:39 a.m. PST

Obviously there were variations between nations so there's no simple answer.
In real life drummers were often kept together behind the lines, not mixed as part of a command. Likewise officers or nco's weren't all together in the centre, some were on each flank to keep the line as straight as possible.
So as you can't really be accurate anyway, why not go for what looks best for you? Personally I like a standard to be as central as possible in the line, and I like a drummer next to the officer, as if he is passing on orders to the company/battalion.

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2017 2:23 p.m. PST

Four stands are a pain. If you split the command elements on to two bases – which one is the lead in march column?

Every formation is off center.

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2017 2:37 p.m. PST

If its a firing unit, I'd put the commamd behind the line unless they are also firing pistols or something.

I put NCOs as far from the command as possible. I also make sure there is a target on their base if they are yelling. I dont like them encouraging figures in other units.

Sir Able Brush Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2017 3:24 p.m. PST

officers stood behind the line – nco's at the front

Personal logo Ooh Rah Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2017 3:36 p.m. PST

Someday I gotta learn how to take and load photos…until then…

For French line infantry battalions with 24-figures on 6 bases, I arrange them like this:

V=Voltigeur
F=Fusilier
S=Sergeant
E=Eagle bearer
D=Drummer
O=Captain
G=Grenadier
(front)
-------- -------- -------- -------- -------- --------
| V V | | F F | | F F | | E F | | F O | | G G |
| | | | | | | | | | | |
| V V | | S F | | F F | | D F | | F F | | G G |
-------- -------- -------- -------- -------- --------
(rear)

The mounted chef de battalion is on a separate circle stand. It's actually a dial that can be turned to different numbers to indicate the battalion strength.

Personal logo Narratio Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2017 7:54 p.m. PST

I made up my 15mm battalions as four 40x20mm bases plus a 40x10mm half base to represent the command element. This placed at the front of the column or at the rear of the line and is just there to show my which unit it is.

It's all personal choice.

Personal logo wrgmr1 Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2017 10:17 p.m. PST

My stands are flag bearer front right. Officer front left, drummer rear right, fusilier rear left.

marshalGreg31 Mar 2017 9:32 a.m. PST

Using Ooh Rah schematic illustration my French are:
V=Voltigeur
F=Fusilier
S=Sergeant
E=Eagle bearer
D=Drummer
O=Captain
G=Grenadier
(front)
--------- --------- ---------- ---------- --------- ----------
|V|V|V| |FFFF| |FFFS| |EFFO| |FFFF| |GG|GG|
|V|V|V| |_F_F| | F__F| |_F_D | |_F_F| |_G |_G |
--------- --------- ---------- --------- --------- -----------
(rear)
Which allows break down into smaller BTNs for strategic games

My 1806 prussians are :

F=Fusilier
S=Sergeant
E=Flag bearer
D=Drummer
O=Captain

(front)
--------- -------- ----- --------- ---------
|FFFF| |FFFF| |EF| |FFFF| |FFFF|
|S_F_| |_F_F | |FF| | F_F | |O__D|
--------- -------- ----- --------- ---------
(rear)

and British/other 2 rank troops are:
V=Light
F=Fusilier
S=Sergeant
E=Flag bearer
D=Drummer
O=Captain
G=Grenadier
(front)
------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --
|V|V| |FFFF| |FFFF| |FFFS| |FFFE| |EFFO| |FFFF| |FFFF| |G
|V|V| --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -------- --
------ (rear)
Pls note the grenadier co did not fit was cut off in this posting and would have 4 x G

Hmmm- what I see in the edit aVS posting is not matching up nor can correct to look like OoH Rah's- hope you still get the idea

MG

Larry R Inactive Member31 Mar 2017 11:07 a.m. PST

Which country? I don't think it was standard was it?

Personal logo Ooh Rah Supporting Member of TMP02 Apr 2017 7:20 a.m. PST

Upon further reflection, if I were placing four French infantry figures on a command stand with all four figures in one rank as in your example, then I probably would do this:

(front)
(X1) (X2) (X3) (X4)
(rear)

X1 = NCO
X2 = Standard bearer
X3 = Drummer
X4 = Officer

This scheme is loosely based on how a company is drawn up in line formation. Here is my understanding from Osprey #159 on French Infantry Tactics.

The CO (captain) occupied the front rank on the right flank of a company, so putting the officer figure on the right flank of the command stand (X4) represents this somewhat.

Two sergeants occupied the front and rear rank on the left flank of a company, so a sergeant on the left flank of the command stand (X1) represents this position somewhat.

As Paul said, drummers were usually formed to the rear of the battalion near the center, not in the front rank. All of the drummers for the entire battalion were assembled in a group behind the lines near the chef de battalion to pass on his orders. So putting the drummer (X3) next to the officer (X4) simulates the idea that the drummer is passing on orders.

Finally, that leaves only one position for the standard bearer at (X2).

Like others have said, I do what I like and what I think looks best to me. I do try and find some logical or historical basis, but in the end, it's my hobby. Most gamers are using a very small number of miniatures to represent many troops, so it's all just a representation anyway.

GlacierMI03 Apr 2017 11:03 a.m. PST

Thank you all so much for your input!

Murvihill03 Apr 2017 2:56 p.m. PST

I put the flagbearer in the center of the stand, front rank. That gives the vulnerable flagstaff some protection from rough handlers who pick up the stand by the side figures. I put the drummer tothe left of the flagbearer because the drum is annoying and often offsets the drum figure. I try to put the officer to the right of the flag bearer because his sword will interfere with the flag if to its left. Sorry, may not be historical but practical.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.