Help support TMP

"Gaming Variety at Adepticon?" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

Back to the Wargaming in the USA Message Board

519 hits since 28 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP28 Mar 2017 9:29 a.m. PST

Over the years, I've glanced at the events listing for Adepticon which are predominantly geared towards the mass-market games. That has not persuaded me to make the trek to the con. Although there are always a few things that look appealing.

What are the playing options like for other miniatures games there? Do the pick-up games provide a good variety of small-press or home-brew games?

TGerritsen Supporting Member of TMP28 Mar 2017 10:38 a.m. PST

There are a number of historical games, but they are less than the mass market games, and obviously the tournament games are big at Adepticon, but you can find some great games. HMGS Midwest ran smaller ruleset games this year and of course you can always run your own and get players.

Tachikoma28 Mar 2017 11:59 a.m. PST

I spent most of AdeptiCon working (I'm on staff), but ran three games; a Girls und Panzer tank skirmish, a Check Your 6! game, and a Space Battleship Yamato starfighter dogfight. I also managed to get in a game of Guild Ball and a demo game of Warlord's new Test of Honour samurai skirmish rules.

There is a staffed open gaming area (with 28mm terrain provided) and a board game library where you can check out games if you have downtime between miniature games or tournaments.

I have not heard official attendance numbers but the hotel announced there were over 4000 people on site at one point. AdeptiCon has been getting bigger and more diverse every year, and I am already looking forward to 2018.

grtbrt28 Mar 2017 12:54 p.m. PST

Just got back from adepticon.
Very nice range of pick-up games . Not sure what is meant by mass market games though., gaming is a tiny niche market so maybe 2 companies fall into the mass market criteria and that is only by gaming standards .

if you mean purely home brew -some not many and mostly (as homebrew are apt to be ) not too impressive .

Personal logo Doctor X Supporting Member of TMP28 Mar 2017 3:08 p.m. PST

There were definitely a lot of people there when I went Friday. Almost couldn't find a parking space.

gamershs28 Mar 2017 3:36 p.m. PST

Went to Adepticon on Saturday and yes it is mostly mass market games. Also, it is very heavy on tournament games. I prefer non tournament games (not you vs me but one side vs another)

Mass market games: in one room there is a timer for all all Warhammer games and another timer (was running) for Warmmmer 40K. Later this year will put on a game of Space Marine with the Drenoi (bugs) vs Colonial Milita with no timers running.

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP29 Mar 2017 12:56 p.m. PST

Yes, the big games rule the day, but…

…it's a ginormoius convention with lots of other games as well. Adepticon has taken HUGE strides in the last few years to encompass the wider miniature gaming community and even some steps into boardgaming. If you are only a historical player with no interest in SAGA, FoW or Bolt Action you would have to look a bit harder, but could probably still fill your time adequately.

I personally have no interest in the big names but love fantasy and sci-fi gaming and as well as running my Mech Attack event I find more than enough stuff to occupy my time.

Heres some I saw in tournaments, events and pickups. Beyond these, Some game designers seemed to also have semi-organized pickup game events for their fans in the evenings.

Saga
Kings of war
Flames of War
Bolt Action
Mech Attack
Battletech
Robotech
Necromunda
Frostgrave (big setup)
Wreck Age
Malifaux
Arkham
Halo
Firestorm Armada
Planetfall
Dropzone commander
This is not a Test
A new WeirdWWI game but the name escapes me.
And many others.

Also saw a Gladitorial game or two, a couple of naval games, various other scaterd historicals, etc.

All this to say, you could easiliy play events through all 4 days and never have to touch anything by GW, FFG or Privateer Press.

Ran The Cid29 Mar 2017 5:24 p.m. PST

Visit the Utopia Hall on the second floor, this is where most of the individual games and events are hosted.

As an volunteer who helps organize the Open Gaming hall, I can see this space grow larger each year. Many of the game organizers noted they had a good time at Adepticon would be back again next year to run games again.

wingnut30 Mar 2017 11:51 a.m. PST

Adepticon is by far the most supportive convention of game masters of any of the national events I've attended. My team ran a massive pirate game in 2015 & 2016, we missed this year due to schedule conflicts. The congenial staff was extremely supportive including help with both set up and break down of our tables, making sure our needs were met, and promoting our event even though we are a non-profit club hosting a home-brew rule set. I would encourage other game masters to contact them and run more historical games at their convention. They may not be a historical miniatures game event but they are very inclusive of all things tabletop.

Wingnut

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2017 6:13 p.m. PST

All this to say, you could easiliy play events through all 4 days and never have to touch anything by GW, FFG or Privateer Press.

That is good to know, thanks I'll pencil this in for next year, and see what the budget looks like come actual planning time ^,^

I enjoy fantasy miniatures games as much as historicals! I know they had some Ninja All Stars and Super Dungeon Arena this year too.

I'ld even be happy to play in a small themed Bolt Action event if they ever do something set in a specific theatre and Axis vs. Allies match-ups.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.