Help support TMP

"Troiani on Saratoga" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

963 hits since 24 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP25 Mar 2017 11:50 a.m. PST

've just been going through Don Troiani's facebook pages and was astounded to see that he has a Saratoga series of paintings.
The astounding part is that he portrays the Continental units in UNIFORMS and states that they were mainly in uniforms supplied from Albany.
Everything that I've read, up till now, always has the Continental forces in civilian clothes, so this is a massive change.

Troiani is considered to be tops in his uniform research.

So what gives?

Brechtel19825 Mar 2017 12:36 p.m. PST

…Everything that I've read…

Such as? Please give some examples of what you've read on the subject.

historygamer25 Mar 2017 12:52 p.m. PST

I'd defer to Eric Schnitzer of Luzader on anything related to that campaign. But it wouldn't surprise me that some units were uniformed by their states.

tigrifsgt25 Mar 2017 12:59 p.m. PST

If you heard that he is tops on uniform research, you must have heard it from him. Ask some of the ACW reenactors who have done outstanding beyond reproach research on their uniforms. Then he paints them in something that doesn't resemble the actual uniform. I have helped many people here on TMP who have painted my Tigers in what Troiani thought they looked like.

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP25 Mar 2017 1:02 p.m. PST

TMP link

Kevin search TMP. Here's one from Brendan who wrote the Osprey book on Saratoga and knows what he is talking about

Brechtel19825 Mar 2017 1:15 p.m. PST

You'll have to do better than that.

If that is the only reference you've used, then there might be a problem.

Ospreys are fine as far as that goes, but the average Osprey is not a good reference. Rene Chartrand does excellent work with them, and thoroughly references his work. He's an excellent historian.

Too many Ospreys run from average to poor, and I have over 100 of them. In short, there are better references to use for uniformology and other subjects.

AOORHB6 Inactive Member25 Mar 2017 3:16 p.m. PST

General Washington's Army (1) @ (2): 177983 (Men-at-Arms)
by Marko Zlatich is a first class researcher and respected military historian. Also Philip Katcher "Uniforms of the Continental Army" is a very respected work. Both books agree with nevinsrip and both books are based on contemporary returns and records.

historygamer25 Mar 2017 4:34 p.m. PST

Some of Renee's works are better than others. His stuff is mixed, at best. Brendan's Osprey's are first rate.

In regards to Don's work – I would think his ACW stuff is excellent. He is often working from original uniforms he owns (or did) and he also works with other leading historian's of the period as well. The photographic (granted B&W) evidence for the period is pretty deep – unlike earlier periods.

Brechtel19825 Mar 2017 4:55 p.m. PST

Also Philip Katcher "Uniforms of the Continental Army" is a very respected work. Both books agree with nevinsrip and both books are based on contemporary returns and records.

Uniforms of the Continental Army by Katcher definitely states that uniforms were worn by the Continental regiments from New York, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts in 1777. There is also a picture of a Continental infantryman drawn from life during the Saratoga campaign, and it states that the entire regiment was uniformed as such.

Clothing was always a problem in the Continental Army. However, the regimental commanders almost without exception worked hard to both clothe their troops as uniformly as possible.

I haven't seen anything that states: 'Everything that I've read, up till now, always has the Continental forces in civilian clothes…' which is in the OP.

historygamer25 Mar 2017 5:04 p.m. PST

OP?

Brechtel19825 Mar 2017 5:11 p.m. PST

Opening Posting.

jurgenation Supporting Member of TMP25 Mar 2017 5:28 p.m. PST

Saratoga Battlefield is a personal love of Don Troiani…he has visited the Battle site every summer since childhood w/ his Father. He extensively researches his subjects.w/ the aide of his collection and other Historians,and when he does make a mistake..he corrects it.almost all revolutionary historians access the Anne Browne collection.It's not to say he does not make a mistake..but if you have a question ,,just E-mail him or join his FaceBook page ..it may take awhile for him to answer,but he is easy to converse with,.

95thRegt31 Mar 2017 11:01 a.m. PST

If you heard that he is tops on uniform research, you must have heard it from him. Ask some of the ACW reenactors who have done outstanding beyond reproach research on their uniforms. Then he paints them in something that doesn't resemble the actual uniform. I have helped many people here on TMP who have painted my Tigers in what Troiani thought they looked like.
>>
I am one of those ACW reenactors,whose also posed for him in numerous paintings. He goes to great lengths,and consults the leading authorities in uniform and weapon research. He will not do a subject if he cannot get the correct information.
That being said,I am also a AWI living historian a researcher who,IMO, finds Troiani at the forefront of AWI uniform research and has opened many doors,and destroyed many old myths on what was worn,when and by whom.
BTW,I have one of those so called coats that were never worn by the Continental troops at Saratoga….

Bob

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.