Help support TMP

"Pewter Miniatures - What do you think?" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

617 hits since 17 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

donkey1 Inactive Member18 Mar 2017 12:57 a.m. PST

What do you think of pewter figures.

I'm thinking of building two ancient armies, Roman and someone else most likely. Haven't decided on a rule set yet.

Have pretty much decided on 15mm and I want them to be price competitive.

I have seen Essex, who have a fantastic range and are priced competitively but I not keen on the cartoonish look of their figures.

Doing some more search I found the ForgedInBattle War and Empire range and these look pretty good in the website pictures.

I notice that these are made of pewter which I imagine is harder than traditional white metal.

I have worked with traditional white metal and it is easy to work with, mould lines can be trimmed or scraped just with a scapel blade.

So questions

What are ForgedInBattle miniatures like?

What is pewter like to work with?

Cheers,

Nigel

donkey1 Inactive Member18 Mar 2017 12:57 a.m. PST

What do you think of pewter figures.

I'm thinking of building two ancient armies, Roman and someone else most likely. Haven't decided on a rule set yet.

Have pretty much decided on 15mm and I want them to be price competitive.

I have seen Essex, who have a fantastic range and are priced competitively but I not keen on the cartoonish look of their figures.

Doing some more search I found the ForgedInBattle War and Empire range and these look pretty good in the website pictures.

I notice that these are made of pewter which I imagine is harder than traditional white metal.

I have worked with traditional white metal and it is easy to work with, mould lines can be trimmed or scraped just with a scapel blade.

So questions

What are ForgedInBattle miniatures like?

What is pewter like to work with?

Cheers,

Nigel

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP18 Mar 2017 1:47 a.m. PST

Old but still accurate I believe (not much hard pewter out there in our hobby):

TMP link

Personal logo Swampster Supporting Member of TMP18 Mar 2017 2:01 a.m. PST

White metal and pweter are both terms which can cover a white range of composition, and by some definitions pewter is simply a form of white metal – see here for example link

Having said that, W&E metal is fairly hard but is by no means unworkable. It files well and can be cut with snips. It is moderately more resistant to cutting with a knife than some other alloy mixes, but that hasn't been an issue for me.
I'm working on some W&E figures at the moment and they are extremely nice figures. The Skythian and German ranges are particularly nice.

I don't use a lot of Essex figures but it is worth checking specific ranges. Some do have rather stylised poses but others have a good variety. I'd also recommend looking at examples on the web rather than just Essex's site – there are some extremely nicely painted figures which show their full potential.

Choosing Romans makes your decision both harder and easier. On the plus side, there are some many different manufacturers, styles and periods to choose from. On the negative side, there are some many different manufacturers, styles and periods to choose from :)

willlucv Inactive Member18 Mar 2017 5:41 a.m. PST

If the FiB ancients are anything like their WW2 figures then they'll be some of the best, if not the best available.

McWong7318 Mar 2017 7:47 p.m. PST

They're excellent, and easy to work with.

goragrad19 Mar 2017 7:39 p.m. PST

I prefer lead alloy, but most lead free aren't too bad.

Older Minifigs in blister packs when they first went to tin are very hard and difficult to cleanup.

Haven't run into that with any of the newer ranges.

Personal logo RelliK Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member21 Mar 2017 4:35 a.m. PST

Leaded minis tend to clog files easily. Scrape easily and tend to bend more easily. They are 30% +/- heavier, cheaper for the manufacturer to produce. Less hard on rubber moulds. They are less likely to retain detailed as unleaded due to softness from possible banging around in shipping. Toxic if chewed or swallowed.

There are some dremmel bits that are less aggressive in sharpness that don't clog up and are ideal for use with these two types of alloys. Non and lead based.

Henry Martini21 Mar 2017 2:10 p.m. PST

Yes, the relative hardness is an issue with 15mm Minifigs: high lead content figures with proportionally accurate ankles that are bare or clad in tight hose, and the thin integral pikes and spears, are prone to constant bending and/or eventual breakage, so if you buy any try to get the pewter castings.

Personal logo RelliK Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member22 Mar 2017 5:32 p.m. PST

I think he means (lead free) :)

goragrad22 Mar 2017 10:06 p.m. PST

Exactly – the ones that came in the old blister packs with the added '100 percent lead free.'

All the flash and irregular base problems of the lead castings and nearly impossible to clean up without power tools…

I also find the spears on some of the pewter minis to be more brittle – harder to bend and easier to break.

I have read that the original Ozzdial Osmy(?) casting were zinc and extremely hard to work with – perhaps those old Minifigs were or had some zinc to them.

Personal logo RelliK Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member23 Mar 2017 10:54 a.m. PST

Some alloys of lead free have zinc in the mix. I've received tin/zinc alloy castings and was impressed.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.