Help support TMP

"28MM FIW Franches de la Marine at Brooklyn Wargaming" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the French and Indian Wars Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

736 hits since 14 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Kimber VanRy14 Mar 2017 7:06 p.m. PST

Getting back to blogging after a few months away with some recent projects. Up here's my Compagnie Franches de la Marine from Conquest Miniatures and Warlord Games.

link

redmist112215 Mar 2017 11:21 a.m. PST

Those are really nice figures. I bought those back when Conquest was still distributing them…many years ago.

What rule system are you looking at using them in?

Figures look good too!

Thanks for sharing

P.

Haitiansoldier15 Mar 2017 12:17 p.m. PST

I'll have to get some of them. I'll have to choose to game Monongahela or the Plains of Abraham, as those are my favourite French and Indian War Battles.
They look really nice! French uniforms in the war were cool.

Kimber VanRy15 Mar 2017 3:26 p.m. PST

Mostly been playing Muskets & Tomahawks but also looking to try Sharp Practice and Song of Drums and Tomahawks.

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP17 Mar 2017 9:26 p.m. PST

Actually I don't think they look good at all. Coats look wrong. That hunting frock is all wrong for the period,and the facial hair is flat out wrong. Further there is no evidence Colonial Marines wore such fatigue hats.

Their muskets are missing the bands too.

spontoon28 Mar 2017 9:24 a.m. PST

Got to agree with Historygamer. I prefer the figures by RAFM.

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP28 Mar 2017 10:11 a.m. PST

It's hard not to come across too strongly when some stuff is posted to my, but I hate to see mistakes or just plain wrong things perpetuated.

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP28 Mar 2017 4:50 p.m. PST

Should read: to tmp. My phone decided to correct it. Thanks phone.

Codsticker28 Mar 2017 7:47 p.m. PST

The pictures of the reenactors suggests a much more regular appearance; would you say that is more accurate?.

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2017 7:47 a.m. PST

French Colonial Marines were a military unit. There are rather good descriptions of what they wore in battle at times (read the Preston book for the Braddock battle), but the point is they were issued uniforms. In my experience, military units that took to the field would all look the same.

They apparently stripped down at Braddock's Defeat. Other instances, they might not have (attack on Fort Ligonier in October of 1758).

There is a misperception that the ranks of the Colonial Marines were full of French Canadians. While the officer corps was largely Canadian, the ranks were from all over the place (including foreign countries in Europe). Point being, they did not automatically take to the field stripped down, and they did not possess intrinsic ability to fight Indian style.

Kimber VanRy30 Mar 2017 5:49 p.m. PST

Good feedback -- maybe better fielded as Canadian militia then.

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP31 Mar 2017 3:57 a.m. PST

I'd file the facial hair off as that is pure Hollywood.

TheGoldyGopher13 Apr 2017 7:02 a.m. PST

What are you talking about Historygamer?

"Given the rough nature of service in the western posts, to say nothing of the trials of the long passage from Montreal, this uniform was considerably modified. The 'Companies franches' at la Bella Rivere in 1755 wore most likely a motley-looking admixture of Marine uniforms and Indian clothing and equipment." Braddock's Defeat, P 152

How does that support you sentiment that the Compagnie Franches de la Marine wore uniform uniforms?

And where do you get that did not possess intrinsic ability to fight "Indian" style?

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP13 Apr 2017 9:21 a.m. PST

Love the book, though like any book, it is not perfect though this one is close. :-)

So let's look at what the author said…

" The 'Companies franches' at la Bella Rivere in 1755 wore most likely …"

So the author is speculating. If he had an authoritative source he would cite it. The phrase.. "most likely" is a get out of jail free phrase.

But are you/he talking about the garrison unit, or the relief units? Two different things. I have no doubt the garrison was close to tatters, and IIRC, darned near out of food. Uniforms were only issued once a year, something less certain at a remote post like Fort Duquesne. They could also have been wearing patched uniforms too, using trade goods to replace cloth – but now I am speculating.

As to fighting style, why do you think they would have intrinsic Indian fighting style? The troops that populated the ranks for the Colonial Marines were often from Europe though generally led by Canadian officers (but not always). Was that part of their training? Can you provide evidence of that? You are asserting a positive so the burden would be on your to prove that assertion.

I can for the British, thought it apparently didn't help them much at Grant's Defeat in 1758.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.