Help support TMP

"Who produces the best 28mm Miniatures for the War of 1812?" Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in Australia Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the War of 1812 Message Board

631 hits since 14 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

trailape14 Mar 2017 2:35 a.m. PST

Hi
Just about to get into this conflict using SHARP PRACTICE rules.
So, who produces the best 28mm Miniatures for the War of 1812?

Razor78 Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Mar 2017 2:42 a.m. PST

Knuckleduster miniatures has a great line of 1812 specific miniatures

torokchar Supporting Member of TMP14 Mar 2017 2:56 a.m. PST

I always go with Old Glory 28's – nice variety of poses in each pack.

malamute14 Mar 2017 3:17 a.m. PST

Depends how you define best?
Paul Hicks sculpting is considered to be some of the finest at this time and he has produced a War of 1812 range for Brigade Games.

Jamesonsafari14 Mar 2017 3:40 a.m. PST

Although Old Glory have a bad rap for quality, their War of 1812 line is one of their really good ones.

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Mar 2017 3:52 a.m. PST

Foundry, if they still make them.

My own opinion is that the Old Glory 1812 line is the best sculpted line that they produce. Not sure how good the molds are, now. I recall some sort of update a couple of years ago.

I picked up a plastic army that was really, really well done, so you may wish to look in that direction. Certainly the cheapest way to go. Victrix, I think?

Knuckleduster is excellent. Can'tgo wrong with them.

I have not ordered anything from Brigade yet, but I do plan to at some point. They look good, also.

A mix of lines would serve you best. Your spoiled for choice here. Can't really go wrong any way you choose.

Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP14 Mar 2017 4:45 a.m. PST

Paul Hicks as sculpture is always a recommendation. I would go for Brigade Games Figures. Though if you are in the UK you might cut the cost by using the excellent Perry figures for most of your British and Canadian forces.

Dave Jackson Supporting Member of TMP14 Mar 2017 5:04 a.m. PST

All depends on the style you like. I like Knuckleduster, OG, Foundry, Brigade. All are good. I find mix & match is always good. Just bought a bunch of OG Americans and militia. All good stuff!

axabrax14 Mar 2017 6:25 a.m. PST

Brigade Games is by far the best quality range in 28mm in my opinion. Old Glory isnt bad but the money you save is offset by the fact that they force you to buy more figures than you likely want. Quality of Knuckleduster is slightly better than Old Glory but still fairly mediocre. Foundry range is very small. If you can afford it I cant imagine doing anything other than Brigade Games as your core and supplement with the other ranges.

Camcleod14 Mar 2017 6:36 a.m. PST

I've just started forces for the W of 1812 as well.
Using Perry plastics for my British. Some Perry, conversions and Knuckleduster for Canadians. I put some top-hat Knuckleduster heads on Perry plastic bodies – they look very good.
For the U.S. I'm using Old Glory – their W1812 range is one of their best. I don't have any Brigade but have seen them – very good.

FusilierDan Supporting Member of TMP14 Mar 2017 6:53 a.m. PST

I have both the Brigade figures and Knuckleduster. While I prefer the style of the Brigade figures and like the fact that you can add on single figures to the order for some packs the Knucleduster range is good and covers a wider variety of units.

I'll be playing Sharpe Practice so didn't need lot's of figures.

AOORHB614 Mar 2017 7:14 a.m. PST

Cannot say enough about Knuckleduster miniatures. They are lovely figures, priced reasonably and well researched. Have almost everything you may want. The owner is a joy to work with. All I use for my war of 1812 project.

link

IronDuke596 Supporting Member of TMP14 Mar 2017 10:26 a.m. PST

I agree with most of the previous statements particularly "Depends how you define best?"

I believe I have all the known manufacturers of War of 1812 figures and agree that best sculpted by Paul Hicks is Brigade Games but the most extensive and best range is Knuckleduster.

Bohdan Khmelnytskij16 Mar 2017 5:26 p.m. PST

Knuckleduster and Foundry

trailape18 Mar 2017 3:51 a.m. PST

I'm going with Brigade for the Infantry and Old Glory for the Mounted stuff (Dragoons and Kentucky Mounted Rifles).
Thanks!

spontoon19 Mar 2017 8:41 a.m. PST

The old Aly Morrison figures from Foundry were nice.

Neilt10120 Mar 2017 12:25 p.m. PST

Foundry are still available, just not listed on the website, drop them a line you'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.