Help support TMP

"Gaming with kids and Star Wars Legos" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Star Wars Message Board

Back to the Song of Blades and Heroes Message Board

Back to the Toy Gaming Discussion Message Board

Action Log

24 Jan 2017 5:19 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from SFRPG board
  • Removed from SF Discussion board
  • Crossposted to Star Wars board

698 hits since 23 Jan 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo PrivateSnafu Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2017 10:00 p.m. PST

I want to game with the kids using Star Wars Legos. I don't really want to go to external sites because I think you guys and gals are better at this.

The kids have some droids, stormtroopers, and rebels.

I think that offers a bunch of options including Clone Wars and Rebels/Resistance versus Empire/First Order.

We don't need to be perfect with the minifigs. Generally speaking, a Stormtrooper is a Stormtrooper and a rebel is a rebel as much as he is a bounty hunter.

How should we go? The kids are 4 and near 8. The 8 year old girl can manage a proper miniature game with measuring and such; we play my version of Tanks (Sherman's versus Panzers). "Patented" in my household long before Battlefront did theirs. I have proof, the Nigerian Lead Minister played it once.

We could go standard mini game or semi RPG style. The semi-RPG style will work well with the 4 yr old boy because he wants to do what he wants and he has the big ship.

I am leaning toward mostly a mini game with RPG story telling as required so he can have fun/control (cheat) his units as he wants. The girl can live with the constraints and math. I'll let her improvise once she figures it out from her younger bro (e.g. She gets mad, lol!).

I am thinking Andrea's "Song of" engine would be about right with a couple changes. I made up some cards today for the infantry. Have not figured out vehicles yet.

Q=Quality, A=melee attack, S=Shoot, D=Defense.

I'm just going to go with standard saves. No opposed rolls. For measuring and ranges I'll just use a 1 foot ruler or a drinking straw. Range will be unlimited, short will be one straw/ruler. Melee attack will be basic, no recoils or prones, its basically Jedi slashing everything, Rebels sucker punching ST's, or Droids doing comical things like grabbing a sleeve and inadvertently destroying their comrades.

I'm stuck at activation and or orders. Several choices, what do you folks suggest?

a. Standard "Song of" activations and turnovers (8 yr old ok, 4 year old challenging)
b. Advanced "Song of" activations and TO's (Steal the activation) same as above and harder
c. I Go You Go (btw the way it needs to support 2-4 players, even Mom could be coerced!)
d. Take turns activating one unit at a time
e. Roll for activations like DBA
f. Dice Bag like Bolt Action
g. Other

Some of the options obviously ignore the Quality stat, though we could use it for ninja/Jedi moves in the RPG spirit.

If I don't use the "Song of" engine how should I handle movement?

Victory conditions? We did capture the ammunition and or destroy all the enemy to start.

I'd love to hear comments on the cards as well. It's just a start.

Personal logo Ed the Two Hour Wargames guy Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Jan 2017 10:27 p.m. PST

Legos are cool and good to use. I use them with the grand kids and our free 2d6 Sci Fi Combat rules. Legos are a great idea for that age.

gianpippo24 Jan 2017 1:28 a.m. PST

Very interesting Project. I was thinking about doing the same with slightly older Kids (12-8 years) and using the WotC figures and Revel models.
I would try with the Standard SoBH activation systems.
Please Keep us informed about your progress. In particularly I would like to see your vehicles cards.

Personal logo War Panda Supporting Member of TMP24 Jan 2017 3:13 a.m. PST

Love this. I have girls aged 10 and 8 and a boy 6. They love gaming and they prefer the Bolt Action activation style. I sometimes ask for what they intend to do first and if one has an amazing idea etc then I might allow them go first…

We play lots of board game miniatures like Descent, Imperial Assault etc

I've also recently started playing GW's LotR's or The Hobbit. I thought it might be to complicated for the young boy but they loved it

Also have a bunch of cheap superhero heroclix minis that are intended to play this:
link

A lite version of Supersystem.

My kids are already busy creating their Superhero characters with backgrounds and all. I'd highly recommend it if they're into the Supers.

Who asked this joker24 Jan 2017 5:04 a.m. PST

TWERPs (The Worlds Easiest Role Playing Game) would do what you want. 1 stat game with other skills to differentiate characters. It is an easy enough system where most folks could pick it up easily. There is a Star Wars Supplement. The game can be had in PDF form from Wargame Vault. Hard copies can sometimes be found on ebay and at Noble Knight.

I've since reformatted both of the TWERPs Star Wars supplements. The books are not my work but the work of folks on the TWERPs Yahoo Group.

For MtM combat you will need
TWERPs
How to Do Everything Better
Space Cadets
TWERPs Star Wars
TWERPs Jedi (All about Jedi and powers etc)

I think the PDFs are $5 USD each. The Star Wars supplement is, of course, free.

If you are going to play with star ships, you will also need Rocket Rangers, also from Wargame Vault.

Ghostrunner24 Jan 2017 8:19 a.m. PST

Good ages for this.

Going for pure fun, or thinking about adding some math to the game to make it 'educational'?

I bet you could have a lot of fun combining some VERY simple shooter rules with the sets of MATH DICE they sell at Target, WalMart, etc.

Personal logo PrivateSnafu Supporting Member of TMP24 Jan 2017 9:01 p.m. PST

Played another game with kids tonight.

Obi-Wan was taken down by a Destroyer. Yoda was unstoppable. Re-rolls on 2+ saves as you can see is a 1:36 chance. He needs to be balanced by lots of other forces. The ugly road of a points system…..

I decided a couple things. We used the Bolt Action/Dice bag method. Worked OK, but better would be card activation with the stats right on the cards. Pull the card hand it straight to the kid. No indecision on what to activate no fiddling for the information.

I gave a specific number of actions to each unit type. Infantry (Droids/STs/Rebels) will get one. Mech roughly 2. Jedi 3.

Found a Star Wars Wiki with the Federation Droid info, a couple of brick and figure buying sites (My Favorite), and revised the cards.

Here are the updated cards.

Personal logo PrivateSnafu Supporting Member of TMP24 Jan 2017 9:11 p.m. PST

@Ghostrunner

Just wanting to keep it fun. The math is beyond the 4yr old. he just wants to know what to roll and knows that 6 is VERY high.

The near 8 year old is busy with homework and multiplication flash cards so no compelling need to add any more learning here. Just fun.

Honestly I'll probably take some of the math out and put the to hit and save values for short and long range right on the card.

I've seen the math dice but haven't explored them.

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP25 Jan 2017 1:42 p.m. PST

Looks like a very cool game. It sounds like you've got a good system going. I've done some gaming with LEGO's via SBH and it's alot of fun. The semi-famous "Brickwars" LEGO game is a funnu read, but not a fun game to play.

I love SBH but for this kind of sci-fi game with kids I'd probably use the one-page-40k rules. They are ridiculously simple (even easier than SBH) with almost no math at all but still play great and handle groups of minis well.

Here's our club's trial of one-page 40k
link
Here's the source for the rules.
link
They've also got rules for fantasy combat, kill team, skirmish, army men, etc and even a kid-toy-centric ruleset called "warstuff".

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.