Help support TMP

"Are you prepared for a dirt nap?" Topic

36 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Clubs Message Board

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

Back to the Wargaming Spouses Message Board

2,127 hits since 9 Nov 2016
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Moe the Great Supporting Member of TMP09 Nov 2016 3:40 p.m. PST

This is a totally serious question.

I know most people don't have a will or have made planes for thier families in case they pass on. Has anyone here thought about or done something about what happens to their miniatures? I recently had a conversation with someone who knew a gamer who passed and their family pretty much through out thousands of dollars of minis because they had no idea of its worth.

What do you suggest us gamers do?

Make a list?
Label everything?
Have names and contacts of people/groups that can help?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Moe

chuck05 Fezian09 Nov 2016 3:48 p.m. PST

I would hope that my wife would contact my friends to see if they wanted any of my stuff or ask for their help in selling it.

John Armatys09 Nov 2016 4:08 p.m. PST

I am one of two "military executors" for one friend – his wife will give us his toys for disposal as we think fit, including giving armies to people who knew him. Any sale proceeds go to his wife.

rustymusket Supporting Member of TMP09 Nov 2016 4:17 p.m. PST

I have mentioned it to my kids. They plan to take a few mementos of Dad and dispose of the rest. I don't have a lot and they are mostly ACW. I am telling them to offer them to the Missouri Civil War Museum and to Jefferson Barracks.

14Bore09 Nov 2016 4:19 p.m. PST

Not till I finiish the First Western Army of Borodino. But then I'll just start something else .

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP09 Nov 2016 4:30 p.m. PST

The kid has a list--what miniatures are really part of the group and which can be sold profitably, who to see about the military history and wargaming books and who to deal with for the rest. (He also has a sort of survivorship on most of the accounts, so the money passes to him without probate, and a copy of the will, which has provisions in the event something goes wrong and I outlive him and my grandchildren.)
The tricky part is organizing, clearing away odds and ends and minimizing unfinished projects. I figure another two years for that.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP09 Nov 2016 5:57 p.m. PST

My collection is well organized – boxed and labeled and nicely packed. I have in my papers a document of who to contact and a friend who would be the "executor" for the collection. Goal would be to have it go to a good home. Whether that mean sell, donate or give away won't matter to me when I'm dead.

Personal logo capncarp Supporting Member of TMP09 Nov 2016 6:05 p.m. PST

My wife would keep what she could use, offer first dibs to my godsons and gaming friends, then put the balance up for sale.

huron72509 Nov 2016 6:12 p.m. PST

It all goes to my two sons. I've already told them that these are for them and get rid of any or all of it if not interested.

I'll be gone I won't care.

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP09 Nov 2016 9:19 p.m. PST

I have no idea. My wife would want to give some to my best buds and sell the rest. My old ambition of donating them has fallen by the wayside as have my sporadic efforts to catalogue and value them.

Snowshoe10 Nov 2016 5:06 a.m. PST

I have a dear friend who asked me to oversee the sale of his collection "in the event" for the sake of his wife. A reasonable plan since as gamers, we have some idea of value.

On my own front, I have two sons; one very much into the hobby and the other who could care less. The interested one wants and will get my collections, while I will make provision for the other to receive a cash equivalent.

Personal logo Moe the Great Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2016 5:51 a.m. PST

IT sounds like many people have thought about it. I was curious as I know this isn't something I've talked about to others before. I guess it's time to get organized.

Time to to do what I do best. Make a list/Spreadsheet of what I have, what it is and what it might be worth.

Thanks

Moe

Khusrau10 Nov 2016 6:11 a.m. PST

I have a wargames executor. The wife gets any profit…

Spaceadmrodkalker10 Nov 2016 6:41 a.m. PST

Donate, toss, sell. What ever is easiest for my family.

Old Wolfman10 Nov 2016 6:56 a.m. PST

Work on it.

Personal logo capncarp Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2016 7:27 a.m. PST

Original Plan: take them with me. Kewl!
Problem with Original Plan: EPA violations of introducing large concentrations of lead into the environment. Damn.

ACW Gamer Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2016 10:14 a.m. PST

I have TOLD my family, but I haven't written it down. Given a close call I had some time back, I think I should.

My grown daughter has already told me she wants some of my best painted pieces to remember me by.

I have tried to talk wargaming friends to sign the 'wargaming wills' that I have written for them but they refuse. Also, they won't go hunting with me. ; )

Striker10 Nov 2016 12:22 p.m. PST

I'm coming back as a ghost so the minis better be here or I'll have to find something else to play with, like evil dolls.

DOUGKL10 Nov 2016 5:35 p.m. PST

I have it specified in my will. Although we are about to do an update since it has not been revised in 16 years.

cleo liebl10 Nov 2016 6:16 p.m. PST

Wally Simon designated an 'Executor' of the Armies (Fred Haub) who placed Wally's armies into good families. At least once each year, Wally's troops come out of their boxes and live to fight again.

We are doing the same, designated an "executor" though we both have armies (I have huge armies of women with their clothes ON) which will make it more challenging, but we have spent much money, time and painting effort on these armies and want them to go to new Generals.

egoodlander10 Nov 2016 6:44 p.m. PST

My kid gets it all

Personal logo Lost Wolf Supporting Member of TMP12 Nov 2016 9:06 p.m. PST

My wife said she's putting everything on the curb

vicmagpa Inactive Member14 Nov 2016 7:24 p.m. PST

good question. gives me something to think about. never thought of this.

uglyfatbloke Supporting Member of TMP14 Dec 2016 2:56 a.m. PST

Made an inventory with rough valuations (which needs serious updating admittedly) and my son has a copy stashed on a data site for when SWMBO and I have both popped our clogs.

ViscountEric14 Dec 2016 10:49 a.m. PST

I've gotta outlive my friends, because I'm the de facto executor for their gaming collections.

After seeing game stores and private collectors insult widows to their faces, taking a few hours out of my life to ensure the collections go to good homes and their loved ones get near what they deserve is worth it.

For me? The kids get to keep whatever they want. The rest goes to the next Wally's Basement under the watchful eye of HMGS friends.

Tumbleweed Supporting Member of TMP14 Dec 2016 5:08 p.m. PST

With the advent of ebay, selling off a collection shouldn't be an issue. But the problem is that in some cases it will take a lot of time.

Then again, how will your heirs liquidate your stamp collection, gun collection, knife collection, beer coaster collection or stuffed-squirrel hunting trophies?

Personal logo Moe the Great Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2016 5:06 a.m. PST

I think the means to sell the items are there, it does your family know what everything is? What it's worth? What goes with what?

CSherrange15 Dec 2016 7:33 a.m. PST

Just had a gaming friend pass away suddenly myself, unfortunately. Left behind 15,000 Napoleonic and SYW war minis, as well as thousands of Renaissance, Medieval, WW2, etc.

Needless to say it's a big problem

Fitzovich06 May 2017 4:53 a.m. PST

This is really a good question about your wargaming collection and other things that you value. I suggest a book called "Before it's Too Late" which is something of a workbook that you fill out with the information one not only where stuff is located, but what you would like done.

pbishop1209 Aug 2017 3:42 p.m. PST

Made out my will. A long time friend, assuming he outlives me, will get the collection. He's in my will by name.

Personal logo Moe the Great Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2017 5:00 p.m. PST

Sounds like you were thinking ahead.

My figures will all be auctioned off at the toys for tots event at Fall In! I just need someone to take over the event for me when I die…

Old Wolfman10 Aug 2017 6:01 a.m. PST

Gaming stuff,I'll likely leave to my gaming buds. Wife is primary beneficiary of any insurance money,sibs other stuff,with my youngest bro likely handling needed arrangements.

Elenderil12 Aug 2017 8:40 a.m. PST

After seeing a couple of posts on here about this issue when my wife and I updated our will a few weeks back I made specific provision. My ECW collections are going to be offered to the Naseby Battlefield Trust team or sold with the income going to the trust. Everything else is to be distributed by a friend of mine, so he better not snuff it before me.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2017 2:31 p.m. PST

Good topic.

After our house flooded a few weeks ago, I think my wife has developed a new appreciation for much of my stuff, specially the hard to find items I've held on to for years and which have gone up in value and are worth a lot of money now.

Dan

Personal logo Moe the Great Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2017 6:08 a.m. PST

Sorry to hear about the flooding.

Nick Pasha13 Nov 2017 3:49 a.m. PST

My wife would probably try to sell everything. My daughter would take the figures she wants to keep them, especially my 54 mm.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.