Help support TMP

"American Civil War podcasts" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Podcasts of War Message Board

Back to the ACW Media Message Board

Action Log

31 Dec 2016 8:58 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Crossposted to Podcasts of War board

492 hits since 13 May 2016
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo War Artisan Sponsoring Member of TMP13 May 2016 4:50 p.m. PST

I've been listening to a couple American Civil War history podcasts lately. If they've ever been mentioned here before, it hasn't been recently.

"The Civil War (1861-1865): A History Podcast" features a host couple who take turns reading from a script. The material is good enough, but the sing-songy delivery, reminiscent of a schoolkid just learning to "read with expression" gets a little tiresome. That, and the hostess' repeated and unprofessional use of "y'all" (only slightly less annoying than "you'uns") caused me to give up on it after several episodes. Oddly, I wasn't at all put off by their thinly veiled pro-southern bias or their hero-worship of T. J. Jackson.

civilwarpodcast.org

Much more to my taste is "Civil War Talk Radio", a long running (640+ episodes!) series of interviews with authors, historians, filmmakers and game designers covering a broad array of topics, hosted by Professor Gerry Prokopowicz of East Carolina University. A quick scan of the Guest List revealed some familiar names (Earl J. Hess, Scott Mingus, Peter Cozzens, Ken Burns, James McPherson, Albert Nofi, Jeff Shaara, John Michael Priest) and many unfamiliar ones, who have offered some insights and covered some subjects that were quite new to me. This one will keep me occupied for quite some time yet . . .

link

coopman13 May 2016 6:46 p.m. PST

Wow, thanks for the info!

DOUGKL13 May 2016 10:35 p.m. PST

Thanks for the links. Civil War Talk Radio is perfect to listen to while work on my ACW figures.

Maxshadow14 May 2016 7:49 p.m. PST

Excellent heads up!

Big Red Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2016 7:09 a.m. PST

Thanks, this is a great and inspirational resource.

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2016 11:25 a.m. PST

Well I tried the "Civil War Talk Radio" and I was unlucky, the first I listened to was more Southern Lost Cause/Revisionism attacking the Union, their generals and their strategy. So I'll consider myself unlucky with Albert Castel and plough on with some more.

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2016 8:57 a.m. PST

Stuck with CWTR and it does get better. The "Lost Cause"/Neo-Confederates don't get much traction.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.