Help support TMP

"Historic Novels and Movies" Topic

30 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

Back to the Historical Media Message Board

Back to the ACW Media Message Board

1,677 hits since 17 Feb 2016
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

49mountain Inactive Member17 Feb 2016 3:28 p.m. PST

After reading several threads on ACW themed movies based on the books by Jeff Shaara, I was wondering if there were any other "Historic Novels" that would or could be fashioned into a movie. I am especially intrigued by the other books by Jeff Shaara. What do you think?

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP17 Feb 2016 3:30 p.m. PST

Jim Mundy

vtsaogames17 Feb 2016 3:35 p.m. PST

I loved Master and Commander but it didn't make enough money for them to make another. And that's OK because the one they made was fine.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP17 Feb 2016 3:54 p.m. PST

Howard Fast's The Undefeated. Maybe--stretching a point--Harris' Light Cavalry Action. But that one will never happen.

jowady17 Feb 2016 4:30 p.m. PST

vistogames, there is talk of another Aubrey/Maturin movie.

"Gods and Generals " was such a bomb that I doubt you'll see anything else in that line in this generation at least. Ted Turner owns the right to whatever Scharra's other book in the ACW line was. He did okay with "Ironclads" which was a TV movie (not by Scharra) and of course hit a homerun with "Gettysburg/Killer Angels". But he lost so much money on G&G that he has sworn off Civil War movies and it doesn't seem like anyone is kicking down his door to get the rights to the remaining book. While not based on a book, the somewhat anticipated "Road to Appomattox" is dead. First they lost their primary deal with HBO, shopped it around, actors were attached who evidently weren't, a deal with NASCAR fell through when NASCAR's bubble popped and a desperate effort to crowdfund it barely raised enough money to pay to print the scripts. Too bad because I know some of the historians involved in the project and it probably could have been a first class effort.

zippyfusenet Inactive Member17 Feb 2016 4:53 p.m. PST

R.A. Lafferty's historical novel Okla Hannali needs to be a movie.

William Warner Inactive Member17 Feb 2016 9:35 p.m. PST

The Siege of Krishnapur.

AussieAndy Supporting Member of TMP17 Feb 2016 11:53 p.m. PST

Someone could make a Warholesque movie of the last game of Empire in which I participated. Hours and hours of nothing much happening. Not sure about the commercial viability of the movie.

artaxerxes Inactive Member18 Feb 2016 12:51 a.m. PST

Another vote for Light Cavalry Action. It would be a ripper. So would a screen version of Eagle in the Snow!

avidgamer18 Feb 2016 5:16 a.m. PST

For the ACW, Corporal Si Klegg and His "Pard".

Choctaw18 Feb 2016 7:38 a.m. PST

I second that, Zippyfusenet. I would certainly see it. :)

Hafen von Schlockenberg Supporting Member of TMP18 Feb 2016 9:06 a.m. PST

2nd Eagle in the Snow,also Shadow Hawk, by Andre Norton,about the beginning of Egyptian revolt against the Hyksos.

We should be careful what we wish for,though,especially on ancient subjects. From the evidence of the last 15-20 years,fave books would likely be PeteJacksonized out of recognition. I,as a foolish youth, always dreamed of a bigger – budget,more accurate version of 300 Spartans,and look what happened.
At least there were no sandworms or armored rhinos in Gettysburg. I wonder--what is the historical era beyond which filmmakers decide that anything goes?

Personal logo John the Greater Supporting Member of TMP18 Feb 2016 9:25 a.m. PST

what is the historical era beyond which filmmakers decide that anything goes?

The past and the future. Also the present. Otherwise, Hollywood is wedded to accuracy.

rmaker18 Feb 2016 11:06 a.m. PST

Well said, John.

I'd say a movie of any of Dudley Pope's novels (either the Ramage books or his WW2 ones) would be welcome.

And given the positive reception of Steven Saylor's Rome miniseries, one would think that a Gordianus the Finder movie would be an instant winner.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP18 Feb 2016 11:19 a.m. PST

If we're doing RA Lafferty, we have to do The Fall of Rome. And if we toss out any pretense of accurate history, I say we do Burroughs' The Mad King and settle out of court with the Anthony Hope estate.
For historical incidents, give me Brunswick's march across Germany in 1809, and the Niagara Campaign of 1814, but no one's written the novels.
And Graham Shelby's The Oath and the Sword might be the best historical novel on my shelves. I'm just not sure it would make a movie.

Ottoathome18 Feb 2016 3:05 p.m. PST

Tolstoy?

Hafen von Schlockenberg Supporting Member of TMP18 Feb 2016 3:29 p.m. PST

Golly, John,is that what is called a "jaundiced view"?

zippyfusenet Inactive Member18 Feb 2016 6:10 p.m. PST

Choctaw, who would you cast for Hannali Innominee? I think Wes Studi could act the young Hannali, but I think he's still too young and lean to play Hannali as the middle-aged, heroic Mingo. Q'orianka Kilcher (Pocahontas)for Natchez. We need a *strong* actress for Martha Louisiana, who? I see Susan Sarandon as Marie Dushane, but I think she's past the age. What an opportunity for a cast of unknowns to play the Hannali extended family, and what an opportunity for character actors to play Bishop Pike, Stand Watie, Whitman Falaya, etc.

It will take a talented and ruthless editor to select only the most essential elements of the novel for a practical movie script.

JARROVIAN Supporting Member of TMP19 Feb 2016 5:36 a.m. PST

George Shipway's 'Imperial Govenor' (Boudicca v Suetonius Paulinus)or
Rosemary Sutcliffe's 'Sword at Sunset' (Dark Age Arthurian)
and any of Christian Cameron's books

Patrick Sexton Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2017 11:26 a.m. PST

Sword at Sunset.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2017 1:00 p.m. PST

Jeff Shaara is not his fathers son. You could not pay me to read one of his books.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2017 1:04 p.m. PST

More Master and Commander movies.

Mac163808 Feb 2017 5:45 a.m. PST

There was a film for TV call "Ironclads" the story was pants but the action seens where pretty good, I think I have it still on VHS.

Master and Commander out standing.

I have a book call "Captain Phantom" now this book is a bodes ripper, it is set in the TYW and the ECW and tell the story of a Mercenary Captain wondering through the wars gaining employment.
The story is a bit far fetched but the history is just spot on.
I think it has been written by a Historian under a pen name of Charles Underhill.

Personal logo Weasel Supporting Member of TMP09 Feb 2017 10:21 a.m. PST

"Pillars of the Earth" might make for an excellent mini series.

<quote>We should be careful what we wish for,though,especially on ancient subjects. From the evidence of the last 15-20 years,fave books would likely be PeteJacksonized out of recognition. I,as a foolish youth, always dreamed of a bigger budget,more accurate version of 300 Spartans,and look what happened.
At least there were no sandworms or armored rhinos in Gettysburg. I wonder--what is the historical era beyond which filmmakers decide that anything goes?</quote>

Do bear in mind that 300 was based on a comic book.

rustymusket Supporting Member of TMP09 Feb 2017 10:55 a.m. PST

As far as Jeff Shaara's books, now might be a good time for "Gone For Soldiers" as a bio of the early military education of Robert E. Lee. That book mostly shows Lee's work in the War With Mexico. Shaara's most recent books on the American Civil War in the west were the best ones he has written and in following Grant, would make good film studies; perhaps using all the books for one movie in the style that "Patton" was made.

donlowry10 Feb 2017 9:16 a.m. PST

A TV mini-series on Grant's Vicksburg campaign would be great. But too much for 1 movie.

TKindred Supporting Member of TMP10 Feb 2017 10:06 a.m. PST

The "Medicus" series by Ruth Downie. VERY well researched series of mystery novels set in the reign of Hadrian. The protagonist is a Roman surgeon (Medicus) serving in Briton.

I would say that they compare quite favourably with the historical fiction of Bernard Cornwell.

Chouan Inactive Member17 Feb 2017 10:39 a.m. PST

That wouldn't be hard…..

WillieB Supporting Member of TMP20 Feb 2017 12:03 p.m. PST

Wallace Breem's Eagle In The Snow would be a godsend. But please , please no Hollywood Romans with lorica segmentata and rectangular scuta.

Pillars of the Earth" might make for an excellent mini series.
There is an 8 part mini series by T&R Ridley based on this novel.

Whilst not strictly historical I'd like to see a film based on the David Gemmel Troy trilogy. Can't be worse than 'Troy' and if they choose the right actors, we'll probably all cry when Banokles dies.

Hafen von Schlockenberg Supporting Member of TMP25 Feb 2017 10:47 a.m. PST

So this is back,eh?

Do bear in mind that 300 was based on a comic book.

Oh, I knew it. Which is not to say I can bear it.

Speaking of not bearing things, I picked up a copy of The Eagle,"based on" the Sutcliffe book,and have manfully been trying to get through it. Not there yet.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.