Help support TMP

"15mm Sdkfz 250 by The Plastic Soldier Company" Topic

31 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Flames of War Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War One
World War Two on the Land
Modern

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

2,545 hits since 7 Jun 2015
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

PiersBrand07 Jun 2015 9:03 a.m. PST

Finally done all five variants in the box…

Yesthatphil07 Jun 2015 9:10 a.m. PST

Very good – I like the dusty wheels thumbs up!

Phil

Griefbringer07 Jun 2015 10:48 a.m. PST

They don't look too roomy inside – makes me wonder how many clowns would fit inside…

But the paint jobs are lovely as usual.

Zargon07 Jun 2015 11:41 a.m. PST

Yes nice paint up and looks like a nice little kit.
Cheers and thanks

HesseDarmstadt6207 Jun 2015 11:56 a.m. PST

Sweet! Great timing with this post--since I'm just finishing up with "Panzer Leader: The Memoirs of an Armoured Car Commander, 1944-1945" Otto Henning. He's the commander of a (variously) a 250 radio track, the 250 "gun wagon" and then as a patrol commander--two of the gun wagons and one of the radio tracks. He was serving in the 1st Company of the Panzer Lehr Recon Battalion--and it seems like each of the tracks in the recon battalion had a crew of three… Great stuff! Excellent models--can't wait until they get over here to the USA.

regards,
HesseDarmstadt62

Puster Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jun 2015 1:45 p.m. PST

Sadly for 44/45 you will probably have to wait for the new variant of the 250, or get the FOW box.
Nice models indeed, and fine painting.

Griefbringer: 16 clowns :-)

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP07 Jun 2015 4:18 p.m. PST

Assume they are also coming in 1/72??

wizbangs Supporting Member of TMP07 Jun 2015 4:31 p.m. PST

Piers, what are you using for a highlight? My panzer grey models are so much darker than those.

PiersBrand08 Jun 2015 1:54 a.m. PST

Wizbangs,

I used Tamiya Panzer Grey on these and added light grey and a touch of pale blue for the highlight.

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP08 Jun 2015 6:01 a.m. PST

Will certainly pick a box up and keeping fingers crossed for the eventual "Neu" with similar assortment of variants!

Hornswoggler08 Jun 2015 6:38 a.m. PST

These will be most welcome in 1/72.

As would a "Neu"…

Or lets get really crazy, "1/72nd German SdKfz 251/Ausf C Halftrack" – still IN THE PIPELINE !

Fatman08 Jun 2015 9:32 a.m. PST

Very nice Piers, must admit that these might tempt into "Mid War".

As an aside I often wonder about the logic behind the 250. I know the theory, designed to carry a half section in Recce units. The thing is I don't believe it would have saved to much in resources or man hours and it required duplication of effort in production facilities. Why not just issue them a 251, the troops will always find a use for the extra space.

Fatman

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP08 Jun 2015 9:59 a.m. PST

The Germans came to the same conclusion albeit too late. In mid-July of 1944 the production plan for the German arms industry for 1945 mandated ceasing production of the 250 and concentrating on the 251. However the history of German wartime production is replete, thank goodness, with such issues.

As you mentioned the original intent was to carry a half platoon giving greater flexibility to recce units. Attempts were made to simplify production and in October of 1943 the "Neu" entered the pipeline with simplified design. For example 9 armor plates were used in production of the "Neu" as opposed to 19 in the original, or "Alte" model.

JD Lee08 Jun 2015 10:57 a.m. PST

Very Nice!

Griefbringer08 Jun 2015 11:03 a.m. PST

My understanding is that the 250 was slightly faster than 251 (maybe 10 % or so), which might be appreciated by the recon troops.

It also made for a slightly smaller target in case somebody decided to shoot them from the flank.

Finally, assigning eight 250 halftracks to each platoon must have kept platoon leaders busy – it would have been a whole lot easier to coordinate four vehicles.

acctingman186908 Jun 2015 12:36 p.m. PST

It's disgusting how good you are Piers :)

Fatman08 Jun 2015 2:07 p.m. PST

acctingman1869
You are not the first person to say that. ;-P

Fatman

Who might have been.

acctingman186908 Jun 2015 3:09 p.m. PST

Piers….

Care to share your techniques on painting 15mm?

Much appreciated!

PiersBrand09 Jun 2015 2:27 a.m. PST

Same as I paint my own 20mm… Just not as well.

Skarper09 Jun 2015 9:21 p.m. PST

Always loved this little vehicle.

The US also had a smaller half-track model though I gather production shifted towards standardization sooner than the Germans.

The 250 was marginally faster, smaller and had a better power to weight ratio. So some improvement over 251s to offset the lower payload but hardly enough to justify the extra cost and complexity.

Lovely job again Piers. Panzer Grey is hard to paint well – too often they come out looking boring but not in this case.

PiersBrand10 Jun 2015 3:33 a.m. PST

I did put a tutorial for doing Panzer Grey into the Barbarossa and Blitzkreig Battlegroup books I think… Might be of use for those with them.

I have been using Tamiya paints, but when I do some grey using Mig Ammo paints I will post up a step by step guide.

acctingman186910 Jun 2015 8:03 a.m. PST

Looking forward to that Piers

Thanks!!

Part time gamer07 Mar 2016 12:52 a.m. PST

These look GREAT!
Yea Im 'waaay' late on commenting..but just got interested in the PSC with the release of WL's Bolt Action and their Tank War follow up. While the 28mm tanks look Great, having two tanks, both about 8 in. in size and no more than a foot apart and saying,"Ok, their at medium range" (ugh) really pushes my "just imagine" limit, even for gaming.
Whenever possible I have always enjoyed a good tank or better an all AFV 'run n gun' battle. Less the Inf as a rule, I know not historically accurate..but its all about the fun.

In the bye bye-gone days I always loved Airfix 72nd armor models and built plenty.

Personally, 15mm 1/100 scale is "the" way to go for doing armor combat games. You can have a good number of vehicles on the field/table and not being nose to nose. Of course if you want to refight "Kursk".. you Have to go with 1/285.

Just for fun.. I think a platoon of AT half tracks supporting a Pnzr IV company would make for a fun game..or a platoon of another favorite, the Stug III.
It would rock.. if (maybe) PSC would/will do the US 105mm or 37mm AT halftrack in 15mm. Of course they quickly came up w/ the M10 18 & 36 tank destroyers to fill that bill. But still a platoon of Wolverines supporting a late war Sherman 76 or Firefly company against the above, still sounds like a fun way to kill a couple of hours.

Again.. I love these, You did beautiful work.
I would love to see some finished models of the larger 251 variants as well.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Mar 2020 10:28 p.m. PST

New kit….

picture

picture

Amicalement
Armand

Hornswoggler10 Mar 2020 3:06 a.m. PST

Plenty of fun there…

A short while ago on another forum we had a bit of a discussion about the feasibility and evidence for Stielgranaten being fired from halftrack- (or any vehicle-) mounted PaKs.

The obvious problems are that somebody would have to crawl onto the bonnet to load it and then the vehicle wouldn't be able to move until it was fired or unloaded since there is nothing to stop the bomb from falling out. Also, nobody was able to advance any (reliable!) photographic evidence… there is a pic floating around of some Hungarian contraption but it doesn't look entirely legit.

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP10 Mar 2020 6:26 a.m. PST

While a preliminary search doesnt show any vehicle mounts I did come up with a rather odd picture of a ground mount 37mm Flak gun mounting one.
link

Col Piron10 Mar 2020 11:59 a.m. PST

15cm s.IG.33 .

Hornswoggler10 Mar 2020 5:41 p.m. PST

@Marc,

Yeah, we think the Flak picture is probably a fake….

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP11 Mar 2020 6:18 a.m. PST

Given it is the only picture I have seen of such a lash up and it was on twitter wouldnt surprise me. Just thought others might like to give it a look see. :)

Warspite121 Mar 2020 4:29 a.m. PST

@Marc33594:
The Flak picture might be genuine. Given that the original weapon was designed for the 37mm PAK 36 there is no theoretical reason why it could not also be used as a local defence anti-tank weapon on the 37mm Flak.
Clearly it has no A.A./Flak application as it could never reach any worthwhile height.

Or… it's a propaganda picture, pure and simple!

B

Hornswoggler21 Mar 2020 10:16 p.m. PST

The Flak picture might be genuine. Given that the original weapon was designed for the 37mm PAK 36 there is no theoretical reason why it could not also be used as a local defence anti-tank weapon on the 37mm Flak.

Here are a few more points that I think count for it being either a post-war fake or, as you suggest, simply a piece of wartime propaganda (I certainly consider that a possibility):

From my understanding, for this to work Germany would have needed to produce a special blank cartridge for the 3.7cm FlaK (seems unlikely) or the blank used to fire the Stielgranate from the 3.7cm PaK would need to be used, which would only work if the chambering of the two guns was pretty much identical. My references are insufficiently detailed as to whether that may have been feasible.

Also, the 3.7cm Flak has flash hiders making the end of the barrel bigger than the 3.7cm PaK, so these would first need to be removed from the FlaK gun in order for the bomb sleeve to fit over the barrel.

Lastly, the chap with the range finder. When fired from a 3.7cm PaK, the theoretical maximum range of the stick bomb was 800m, but realistic operational range more like 300m (Hogg).

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.