Help support TMP

"Madrid (and Toledo) military sites" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in Spain Message Board

503 hits since 2 Jun 2015
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo andygamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member03 Jun 2015 4:40 p.m. PST

My brother is going to Madrid on business from Sunday onward.

He already plans on going to the Naval Museum in Madrid but was also wondering about other military history sites to visit. He was also thinking of a short side-trip to Toledo (30 minutes by train?) so I wonder if there is anything interesting there too? My brother's main area of interest re. Spain is the Reconquista time period.

He would not be interested in wargaming stores or similar but if there are any military bookstores I would like that information also.

JonFreitag03 Jun 2015 5:07 p.m. PST

In Madrid, a stop at the Royal Armory is my recommendation.
In Toledo, I recommend a stop at the Army Museum in the Alcazar.

Personal logo andygamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member03 Jun 2015 6:01 p.m. PST

Both the Royal Armory and the Army Museum sound good, Jon. I will have to see what books the gift shops have too. Thank you.

basileus6603 Jun 2015 10:34 p.m. PST

There is not a military bookstore as such, but I would recommend him to visit Marcial Pons Libreros, in Plaza del Conde del Valle de Suchill. It is a bookstore specialized in History. He might find a lot of interesting titles.

Link to the website of the bookstore:

link

Link to Google Maps location of the bookstore:

link

Andoreth04 Jun 2015 1:29 a.m. PST

Toledo houses the army museum, on a recent visit we needed two days to take it all in. The museum is also free to enter on Sundays,however the high speed train gets very full and it is recommended to buy return tickets when you are getting the tickets from Madrid.

You can also visit the air force museum which is just outside Madrid (20 minutes on the bus) and the Guarda Civil Museum which has a brilliant display of mannequins wearing all the uniforms of the guard during its service throughout the world. The only problem with this museum is that it is inside the headquarters and photography is strictly forbidden.

Green Tiger Supporting Member of TMP04 Jun 2015 1:43 a.m. PST

Open now is it? I went a few years back especially to see it and the Alcazar was very closed and at least two years behind schedule. Also there was no train line. A station, but no tracks- was not a happy bunny !

Personal logo andygamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member04 Jun 2015 5:13 p.m. PST

Thank you for the bookstore information, Antonio. I saw a few items that interest me if the books are in stock. :)

Andoreth05 Jun 2015 7:04 a.m. PST

Green Tiger,

not only is it open but it is spectacular, you enter through the side of the hill onto the archaeological remains of various fortifications dating from the Romans through the Arabs and then go into the Alcazar to the museum proper.

The train line is a high speed link just between Madrid and Toledo leaving from Atocha and is very comfortable. The bar at Toledo station is not bad either.

Green Tiger Supporting Member of TMP08 Jun 2015 4:30 a.m. PST

That's right – rub it in !!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.