Help support TMP

"Celebration of the bicentennial of Murat’s Execution" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in Italy Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Media Message Board

1,033 hits since 29 Apr 2015
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

MarescialloDiCampo29 Apr 2015 9:24 a.m. PST

Bicentennial event of Murat's landing, arrest, condemnation and Execution on 10 and 11 October, 2015 at Pizzo, Calabria, Italy.
(Actual execution occurred 13 October 1815 in Pizzo's castle courtyard)

On October 10, a reenactment of Murat's visit to the town before he embarked on his failed invasion of Sicily. The actual event occurred May, 25th of 1810. The parade event takes place in Pizzo from 15:00 – 17:00 – along C/sa Mazzotta – Via Na-zionale – Via Marcello Salomone – Via San Francesco – Corso Garibaldi – Piazza della Re-pubblica – Piazza Gioacchino Murat – Castello Murat – and ending at Piazza della Repubblica.

Following is an inauguration of a monument to Murat.

From 1700-1800 there is a meal in historical costume (reenactment) in which there is a typical Neapolitan meal of the time served (Tickets, historical dress required, and a fee).

On 11 October between 09:00 – 13:00 from Pizzo Marina and the historical center (Centro Storico) there is the reenactment of Murat's landing, capture, trial, and public execution.

At 18:00 in the church of San Giorgio Martire, a mass will be said for Murat's suffering soul.

At 19:00 in the Church of San Giorgio Martire, a music concert of hymnal period music.

At 18:00 at the Loggia della Tonnara at the Pizzo Marina, a preliminary first report on King Joachim Murat's bones will be presented.

Program of events and photos (in Italian):
link

Website Link – Photos of past years events:
link

Preceding the event:
On October 2, at 11:00 Press conference by the Mayor on the bicentennial at Pizzo Calabro – in the Municipal building (Palazzo Municipale), councilors room (Sala Consiliare.

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP29 Apr 2015 12:47 p.m. PST

Not the face, not the face…..

Streitax Inactive Member29 Apr 2015 1:13 p.m. PST

Always wondered what happened to him but never bothered to ask. Thanks.

Personal logo Swampster Supporting Member of TMP29 Apr 2015 2:20 p.m. PST

Arthur (in 'the Tick') and Murat shared a common expression.

Lapsang29 Apr 2015 2:23 p.m. PST

A Commemoration, rather than Celebration, surely? Except maybe if you're Austrian…

SJDonovan Inactive Member29 Apr 2015 3:09 p.m. PST

At 18:00 in the church of San Giorgio Martire, a mass will be said for Murat's suffering soul.

How do they know his soul is suffering?

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP29 Apr 2015 4:23 p.m. PST

Forces of the king, Ferdinand IV of Naples, arrested him, and he was put on trial for treason. He was eventually sentenced to death by firing squad at the Castello di Pizzo, Calabria.

When the fatal moment arrived, Murat walked with a firm step to the place of execution, as calm, as unmoved, as if he had been going to an ordinary review. He would not accept a chair, nor suffer his eyes to be bound. "I have braved death (said he) too often to fear it." He stood upright, proudly and undauntedly, with his countenance towards the soldiers; and when all was ready, he kissed a cameo on which the head of his wife was engraved, and gave the word — thus,

«Soldats! Faites votre devoir! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu!»

"Soldiers! Do your duty! Straight to the heart but spare the face. Fire!"

Murat, Caroline (1910). My Memoirs

Twilight Samurai Supporting Member of TMP29 Apr 2015 10:07 p.m. PST

How do they know his soul is suffering?

Beatrix Fontaine told them so.

Trajanus30 Apr 2015 3:01 a.m. PST

I see from the first link that they actually do the firing squad bit!

If I was the guy playing Murat I'd want a bloody good look at those muskets before I stepped on stage!

daler240D Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2015 4:19 a.m. PST

In Dante's Inferno, the ninth and lowest circle of Hell is reserved for traitors, hence we know his soul is suffering…

MarescialloDiCampo30 Apr 2015 7:02 a.m. PST

daler240D – Like the response!

Gwydion05 May 2015 3:17 a.m. PST

Assuming Dante wrote the Haines manual for Hell and not just a good story.

daler240D Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2015 4:07 a.m. PST

dude…VIRGIL was his guide, what more do you need??

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.