Help support TMP

"15mm Post Apocalyptic Pirates (Redux)" Topic

44 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Post-Apocalypse Discussion Message Board

Back to the Pirates Message Board

Back to the Scale Message Board

Back to the Scratchbuilding Message Board

Back to the Conversions Message Board

Back to the Zombies Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Modern What-If Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

7,012 hits since 17 Apr 2015
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP18 Apr 2015 1:14 p.m. PST

If one needed to stay over water to avoid zombies, or if Mad Max fought river, inland sea or lake pirates, wouldn't these fortified barges be nice?

picture

link

picture

link

picture

picture

They look as if they have bits of submarines and other structures incorporated into their craft, right? If so, maybe one could use a sub from a completely different and use curved hull bits and pieces of it on something for 15mm?

Thoughts?

And if all the ice caps and glaciers melted, check this out:

YouTube link

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

For lots more ideas and inspiring images:
link
TMP link
TMP link
TMP link
TMP link
TMP link

Enjoy!

Dan
PS. And when going on land:
TMP link
Some additional land travel ideas could be gleaned from here:
TMP link
TMP link

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP18 Apr 2015 2:28 p.m. PST

That artist has tons of really cool ideas …

picture

link

This other guy has something that could inspire an interesting and fun conversion project …

picture

link

picture

link

Dan

mattblackgod Inactive Member19 Apr 2015 2:28 a.m. PST

Cool stuff.

War Monkey19 Apr 2015 1:06 p.m. PST

I still have rough sketch, of a barge town, sacks and shanties on barges all tied together, now that we have moved I might have room to do it now. grin

Personal logo Rebel Minis Sponsoring Member of TMP19 Apr 2015 1:38 p.m. PST

That is some awesome art!

RebelMike
Rebelminis.com

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP21 Apr 2015 6:48 a.m. PST

You could do something with these:

TMP link

49mountain Inactive Member21 Apr 2015 9:55 a.m. PST

It gives the impression of that movie "Waterworld". I expect Dennis Hopper to jump out of one of the boats and start making insane comments.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP21 Apr 2015 10:27 a.m. PST

Aye, but with new coasts and new islands all over. And lots of rum!!!

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP21 Apr 2015 12:42 p.m. PST

Australia would be very different, I reckon:

picture

I think the crocs might enjoy that too …
TMP link

Plus I think it's time we all evolved a little more:

picture

The gene pool needs "fresh" water, me thinks.

I can just see a gaming scenario involving fishmen and post apocalyptic survivors living on or near water!

TMP link
TMP link
TMP link

picture

picture

TMP link

Hmm, now I'm wondering … If you believe the scientists, if the ancestors of whales had stopped climate change, or just simply stayed on land, they would have never become whales. And we wouldn't have to save them now!

Dan
PS. 79thPA, those are some cool watercraft! Thanks for that link. This looks neat too:
link

infojunky24 Apr 2015 6:34 p.m. PST

So Need to finish Boats….. So many new ideas….

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP25 Apr 2015 12:58 p.m. PST

Infojunky,

Yes, please do! I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Dan

kyoteblue Inactive Member25 Apr 2015 1:38 p.m. PST

DELETED

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP29 Apr 2015 9:05 p.m. PST

Until I looked up what "Brown Water Navy" really meant, I imagined the "submarine" or model boat cesspool races mentioned occasionally on M.A.S.H.

Episode Requiem For A Lightweight
To a visiting nurse: "Why don't we give this to the bellboy, and let us go to the river and watch the submarine races"
link

Episode The General Flipped At Dawn a couple of references to model yacht races at the cesspool.
YouTube link
Lt. Col. Henry Blake: Man. More stuff's coming in from headquarters. New orders, regulations. Read that first one, Radar.
Radar: Uh, yes sir. Uh, the winners of the model yacht race at the cesspool are…
Lt. Col. Henry Blake: Not that, Radar!
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: Nah, let him read it! I haven't seen a sports page in months!
Radar: First place went to Pvt. Norman Polanski with his yacht, the American Beauty Dream. Corncob construction, with toilet paper sails.
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: Ah, that Polanski has the sea in his blood.
Radar: Second prize to Corporal Timothy McInerney for his clipper, the Evangeline, carved from a pound cake his mother sent him six months ago.
Trapper: Hope he doesn't invite us for dessert.
Radar: The remainder of the contestants didn't finish due to a sudden undertow after breakfast.

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP29 Apr 2015 10:12 p.m. PST

Interesting, I think:

picture

picture

link

Looks like some people are already getting prepared for A near-waterworld scenario:

picture

becuo.com/redneck-houseboat

Is this the boat version of "Tank Girl"???

picture

link

This island "Citadel" looks interesting:

picture

picture

link

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2015 6:36 a.m. PST

And here's San Francisco, if the water rose just 200 feet:

link

link

Here's LA, after a total ice melt:

picture

link

Dan

War Monkey30 Apr 2015 1:40 p.m. PST

I really like that "Tank Girl" version boat posted up there, needs up dating to a M1 turret, and of course it gives me ideas like a small fleet of such boats evil grin

"Pirate Wars" using "Car Wars" rules? Any ideas from other out there?

War Monkey03 May 2015 5:27 p.m. PST

Who runs "Barge Town"! War Monkey that's who!

picture

picture

picture

I couldn't take it anymore I had to go out and get a 1x4 inch board and cut it to 12 inches with a 45 degree cut.

Now these will be skinned with card stock and dressed up from there adding shanties to the decks and other features.

Have more pictures here on a blog.
silo1313.blogspot.com

Thanks for looking

Doug

P.S.
See what you gone and did now Dan grin

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2015 6:26 p.m. PST

You da man, War Monkey!!!

TMP link

Dan

War Monkey03 May 2015 6:45 p.m. PST

Thanks Dan

A bonus I found out playing around with them is that, I can have different layouts therefor there could be different barge towns around the world!

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2015 7:26 p.m. PST

Guys, this map shows an 83 meter rise:

picture

link

Looks like the British Isles will become lots and lots of isles!

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2015 7:54 p.m. PST

For you Twitter people …

Looks like now you might be able to figure out how your own home city will look like, after an 80 meter (262 feet) rise in sea level:

link

link

Here are a few examples at 80 meters:

link

Here's downtown Seoul South Korea also after that 80-meter sea level rise:

link

This one is close enough (72 meters), for Manhattan:

link

Dan

chironex07 Nov 2015 10:36 a.m. PST
Electric Elwood Inactive Member10 Nov 2015 6:06 p.m. PST

That is the coolest thing I've seen all day!

Thesceneuk Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member18 Nov 2015 9:00 a.m. PST

Finished these this week, should be on the website by the end of this week as a pre order.

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

thesceneuk.com

Cheers
Mike

tsofian Sponsoring Member of TMP19 Nov 2015 3:55 p.m. PST

Mike are you going to do an Atoll and the Mariner's sailboat?

Thesceneuk Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member21 Nov 2015 2:20 a.m. PST

Tsofian

Yes to both of the above, hope to have them released middle of January.

Cheers

Mike

tsofian Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Nov 2015 9:37 a.m. PST

Awesome!

MacrossMartin Inactive Member20 Dec 2015 11:14 p.m. PST

Very interesting stuff, folks. Makes me think of expanding my ideas for my Stingray: The Next Generation concept…

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2015 8:23 a.m. PST

Okay, necrothread-o-mancer, how so? Low tech victims/refugees of the war? New scum to be fought? ;->=

Doug

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP08 May 2017 11:07 a.m. PST

War Monkey,

Check this out:

link
link

It looks to me like the top half of a tank on a barge of some sort. But still looks very cool.

Dan
PS. I think it could do some serious damage to any "floating village", don't you think?
TMP link

Terry3708 May 2017 6:51 p.m. PST

All very cool!

Terry

War Monkey09 May 2017 5:00 a.m. PST

CC
That tank tug is Awesome! Okay so I snagged a copy of Twilight 2000 "Pirates of the Vistula" it has riverine combat rules.

So combat between such boats would be really cool.

Thanks Dan

Doug

P.S. There is another Twilight 2000 module that has tall ships and pirates mostly taking place in the Caribbean.

mrinku09 May 2017 5:14 p.m. PST

The sea version of Tank Girl is of course Sub Girl, though she's usually not in her Sub and just hangs out with TG and Jet Girl.

War Monkey09 May 2017 8:09 p.m. PST

Just an update of small news, I'm working on small marsh islands for making canals and channels that one would find in a river delta.

I think they would be great for maneuvering around and now I know they will be.

Mako11 Inactive Member10 May 2017 12:45 a.m. PST

I rather like the new L.A.. Solves a lot of issues, I suspect.

The new S.F. is interesting too. Lots of great fishing opportunities there, I suspect.

War Monkey11 May 2017 4:35 a.m. PST

Thanks Dan!
Now I have been looking for some cheap tanks! So I can kit bash them into some kind of gun boats, I really want to make a few and try out the riverine combat rules.

I'm also looking for other weapons systems like guad 50's.

Part time gamer13 May 2017 1:46 a.m. PST

I will try NOT to go into ALL of the ideas (no pun intended) flooding my mind just reading the posts.
I have not EVEN begun looking at all the links.
"Inspiring" does not begin to cover the ideas this could spin off.

Brings to mind the "River train" (best I can recall the 'name' given) also posted here on the Apoc thread.
It consisted of a Hvy 'Engine' type vessel, i.e. Tug pulling 4-5 other container barges;
(living qtrs, medical, storage, etc. & most important a water recycling sys.).
Come to think of it, it also had a waste-to-fuel conversion sys. incorported into the design.

As for gaming: this would be totally cool.
However, a good sized skirmish game, 10 or so 'characters', 5-7 max per side, 15mm IMHO maybe the largest you could do.
Im thinking each barge/ship sec. constructed at 1 x 2, W-L. ratio. For Ex. each would be 8" x 16".
To allow ease of moving figures:
1 to 1-1/2" walkway on both sides (or one). This would leave 5in 'inside' gaming area for moving.

Hmm, a 'warehouse' w/ 5" x 14" internal space? Maybe you could pull this off in 28mm 1/100 scale.
Even 3 ships tied side to side, (using the 8x16 ship size) would take no more than 24in.W. x 32in.L. table space.

Your idea could lead to the basis for a great on going Apoc campaign game, such as;
"Thors Journal" (Very Well done, if you havent read it, find it. Its great.)

Ok. I knew this would get me started.. sorry grin

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP13 May 2017 3:52 a.m. PST

@Part Time Gamer: "I have not EVEN begun looking at all the links.
'Inspiring' does not begin to cover the ideas this could spin off."

Lol. Be careful then. Don't click on too many of those links all in one sitting. It might be too much for some people to handle. So, pace yourself. :)

Dan
PS. It sure would be nice to have a Mad Max game, but wet instead of dry. And with giant saltwater crocs moving into all the new lakes, marshy waterways and the flooded cities … just to make things even more interesting:

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

freecloud22 May 2017 2:15 p.m. PST

I built a post-apocalyptic pirate army, using real 17th century pirates figs in 15mm. The figures are arguably quite believable (in 15mm anyway):

- bandanas, slouch hats etc are easily believable today for people out in the open. A leader may try and dress like a Pirate of 0lde. Arrrr….
- a 15mm musket, sawn off a bit, looks like a post apocalyptic artisinal laser rifle, who says it doesn't :)
- A justaucorps style thigh-length coat is very practical with modern fibres, just look at LL Bean…
- waistcoats and short jackets are very hip in post-apocalyptic days, in anything from leather to goretex nylon
- uniforms? What are they?

As to vehicles, they ride converted freight ships of various sizes(there will be many ships of many types available post apocalypse) and small hovercraft of course.

I imagine a post-apocalyptic future after photo-voltaics are fairly good so low power electric engines are possible, esp supplemented with sails but for real pirate speed you need fossil power. As fuel gets harder to find though…

War Monkey23 May 2017 7:11 a.m. PST

Hummm…… Pirates for Pirates! What a great idea there a a few great sites that have 15mm pirates that will be great for such P.A. gaming.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP31 May 2017 10:19 p.m. PST

Just imagine this old sea captain fella in 15-18mm:

picture

link

link

I think he would be awesome!

This Assassin's Creed fella could also pass for a PA pirate from colder waters, like a semi-thawed Antarctica or far north, don't you think?

picture

picture

picture

link

Dan

Coelacanth03 Jun 2017 8:54 a.m. PST

picture

Another kind of alligator. I think that the ability of the boat to portage herself has a lot of possibilities for an inundated Post-Apo world.

link

Ron

P.S. Thanks for this whole thread! laugh

Coelacanth03 Jun 2017 9:09 a.m. PST

Say "Hi" to the neighbors:

Shadows Over Innsmouth

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Waterworld

Ron

Art by John Jude Palencar.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP03 Jun 2017 11:01 a.m. PST

Ron,

That alligator boat is pure genius! I love it. Thanks for posting that.

Dan
PS. By the way, a couple of years ago I bought the fishmen/deep ones from Khurasan and from Rebel Minis (they're still unpainted though), just to introduce the "mutant" factor into a semi-waterworld post apocalyptic Earth. :)
And there were a few others I was looking into:
link

picture

link

picture

link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.