Help support TMP

"Z-Day 005 -Thor's Journal -There's No Place Like Home -Pt2 " Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Solo Wargamers Message Board

Back to the Zombies Message Board

1,128 hits since 2 Dec 2014
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Amalric Inactive Member02 Dec 2014 3:57 p.m. PST

Z-Day 005 – Thor's Journal
Day Five- There's No Place Like Home
Part 2
an ATZ FFO Batrep

Day 1 – TMP link
Day 2 – TMP link
Day 3 – TMP link
Day 4 – TMP link
Day 5 Pt1 – TMP link

After seeing off the gangers [see part 1], we ran down the street to Rebecca's apartment. We're not waiting for the Police this time. Besides, we need to bustle if we don't want to be caught on the wrong side of a Police quarantine line. Rebecca's Mom's apartment is in the Papalina Building that is right next to a county health clinic. That wouldn't be a bad place to be during the zombie apocalypse would it?

picture

The doors to the building are open, not a reassuring sign in this neighborhood. The apartment is on the first floor and the door is unlocked. rebecca wanted to run in, but Gwyn held her back as I opened the door and called in. A gurgling moan was the reply followed by the stench of Zombie. The undead charged me from the poorly furnished living room.
picture

I put 2 shots into it without slowing it down, grasping claws reaching for me. I struggled and Stark tried to get a shot off.
picture

Gwyn screamed as a neighboring door opened and a dead old man staggered out and attacked her.
She knocked it down with her tier iron but is trashed and tried to get back up.
picture

Stark, stepped over and put it out of our misery.
picture

As I slammed this one down, crushing its head against a old hall tree. Rebecca looked past me and started screaming. It was her Mom that was in the apartment. Gwyn grabbed her and I tossed an old blanket across the zombie. Gwyn held the sobbing child as Stark and I made sure the apartment was empty. A sad tale was laid out on the kitchen table. Bloody bandages were scattered and the moms ATM card was next to a receipt showing her account was overdrawn. Next to the card was a pair of gold rings. Later Rebecca told us those were her parents wedding rings, her father having died in Iraq. It seems her Mom had come home to get the rings to pawn for money when she was attacked.
picture

Gwyn helped Rebecca gather up what meager clothes she had to take. We also looked thru the aprtment for anything that might help us, but as you can imagine there was nothing here. We put the rings on a string around Rebecca's neck and Gwyn took an old Louisville Slugger that Rebecca's Mom had.
[Gwyn's now the figure with the baseball bat, we still need to get her a gun!]
picture

Meanwhile as we were in the apartment, it seems the Police had set up there quarantine, with a roadblock up on Jackson by the Park.
picture

picture

picture

Four officers led by Sgt Apone [Rep 5] Frost [Rep3]
picture

Vasquez [Rep 4] & Hicks [Rep3] [figures armed as shown]
picture

We had to get out of the aprtment and make it back to the Japanese Garden to escape the quarantine and make it home.
picture

We eased out of the building.
picture

picture

and ran across Adams street
picture

With a smash, a ton of Zombies poured from the clinic out of the Washington Ave door
picture

picture

the Zeds stood moaning as if they were unsure what to do
picture

It seemed the Police were taken aback and were also unsure what to do, what was the crowd going to do?
picture

Apone moved for a better look
picture

picture

3 Zombies turned from the crowd and started towards us
picture

We fled for the fence. Stark and I helped the girls cross and clambered over ourselves hoping there wasn't a junkyard dog on the other side.
picture

Apone rejoined his team and told them to get ready.
picture

The Zombies stood still, moaning [another round the Zeds failed to activate]
picture

Meanwhile, a Hummer came barreling down Jackson, Rap blaring from the windows.
picture

picture

We slowly cross the junkyard, hoping not to draw anyone's attention.
picture

three more Zeds joined the group and the slowly started to head down Washington towards the roadblock.
picture

Apone faces down the Hummer, the driver deciding discretion was best, slowed and began to turn around as directed.
picture

picture

A fire erupts in the abandoned pharmacy behind the Police
picture

As it accelerates back up Jackson, we move thru the alley and can see the Moon Gate to freedom!
picture

The Zombies keep moaning and staggering towards the Police who are still unsure what to do.
picture

picture

picture

The Police aim as Apone shouts for the crowd to disperse. At this point I don't think he knew what they were.
picture

We run for the gate and almost get run over, but the Bleeped text stops in time.
picture

picture

Apone yells something about a final warning.
picture

The Hummer peels rubber and is gone.
picture

Just as the Police open fire
picture

The drop the first line [face down is rally dead, face up is just knocked down]
picture

The remaining Zeds rush the Police
picture

Vasquez gets knocked over, but Frost steps up and drops the Zombie
picture

Apone is rushed and is bashed the Zed down with his scattergun
picture

Vasquez gets back up and the Police drop the remaining Zombies
picture

While we head to the Park
picture

Ah… Sweet Victory! But What the Hell are they? Zombies?
picture

They're getting back UP!?!
picture

We leave to the sounds of gunfire and melee! Frost goes down!
picture

The rest of the Officers are sickened as the Zeds start to eat Frost!
[The d6 is there to show how many turns Frost's body will occupy the Zeds]
picture

Hick's flees, Vasquize take cover, then Apone ralys them, leading them into the park, radioing in the roadblock is overrun!
picture

As we run as fast as we can back across the Park to my waiting Cruiser. We pile in and I peel rubber to the sounds of sirens and gunfire!
picture

We staggered into my place and collapse stunned. Rebecca is still crying in Gwyn's arms as she takes the little girl into the bedroom to lie down. Stark turns on the TV hoping for something to cheer us up but all the news is talking about how the Mayor of Chicago's news conference was over run by infected. That's what the news has taken to calling the Zeds even after now seeing crystal clear HD footage of an attack. From the direction of the Park we can still hear gunshots. I pour Stark and myself a shot of Jack and we settle down to clean the gear. This is going to be a bad night I think.

Well a roller coaster of a game, but at least none of Thor's crew died. This game was based on the Police Quarantine scenario from the Haven book, and it was a lot of fun playing the Officer's first encounter with Zombies. Personally I was hoping for a distraction to let Thor et al slip across the line unnoticed, but I wasn't expecting a mini hoard on turn 1. At least the Zeds didn't get to activate for a few turns. That helps the Police attention and allowed Thor to run for it. It was heartbreaking to find out about Rebecca's Mom, but at least we know what happened and that she is not out there looking for her daughter.

To see if Rebecca's mom was home I made up this chart for a d6 roll. You know by now what I rolled.
1- 1d3 in the apartment Zeds [one will be Mom] [it turned out only 1 was in there]
2- 4-6 Gangers in the apartment [go to meet and greet]
3- 1-3 Gangers in the apartment [go to meet and greet]
4- apartment empty but ransacked
5- apartment empty but intact
6- Mom home safe and sound [go to meet and greet]

Afterwards I realized that I should have had Gwyn finish off the zed in the apartment hallway rather than Stark. That way she could have been up for a Rep increase roll. As it was, neither Stark nor Thor made the roll to increase their Rep. Thor made his keeping it together roll, so everyone's holed up in 201, for now.

Thank you for looking.

45thdiv Inactive Member02 Dec 2014 4:14 p.m. PST

Really love these reports. I also like the Hasslefree figures. Where did you get the the female police officer?

Matthew

War Monkey02 Dec 2014 4:26 p.m. PST

Nice game, I hope you post more, can't wait.

Amalric Inactive Member02 Dec 2014 4:48 p.m. PST

Thank you Gents.

All the Police are by Tactical minis at Armorcast;
link

except for Apone who is by Hasslefree;
link

The G Dog Fezian Inactive Member02 Dec 2014 6:48 p.m. PST

I had a bad feeling about Frost.

Great write up – you are edging me closer to giving ATZ a try.

saltflats192902 Dec 2014 9:04 p.m. PST

Yay! The zombies are here!
Where does that apartment interior come from?

Spendlove Inactive Member02 Dec 2014 11:22 p.m. PST

Seconded, where was the apartment floor plan from?

Lonkka1Actual03 Dec 2014 2:23 a.m. PST

Good stuff.

I especially like how you've made the roads and sidewalks!

Jason O Mahony03 Dec 2014 5:07 a.m. PST

I asked the same and it appranetly came from a Google search.

I had a look under "apartment fllor plan" and found it here:

link

Jason O Mahony03 Dec 2014 6:47 a.m. PST

Sorry about the spelling I meant "apparently" and "apartment floor plan".

Not sure if it is the exact one to scale up but not a bad place to start.

Vampifan01 Inactive Member03 Dec 2014 7:21 a.m. PST

Team Thor came out of that encounter very well, all things considered. No casualties or wounded characters is always a good thing.

Amalric Inactive Member03 Dec 2014 12:50 p.m. PST

Jason, thats the one. There was nothing special about it other than it was nicely done and would fit on a regular 8x11 piece of paper. Thank you to the artist who made it.

G Dog try it, you'll like.

Ed is a great guy who came up with an awesome set of rules!

The 2HourWargames rules are all based on a core reaction mechanic that some people like me love and others don't. You can get a taste of the reaction ruled for free at;
link

or for more ATZ FFO batreps with a lot more rule explanation, check out Vampifan's incredible blog;
link

There are a ton of great ATZ campaigns online that are chock full of inspiration.

War Monkey03 Dec 2014 6:03 p.m. PST

I just want to say this has gotten me all geared up! I need some more figures and some additional buildings, been setting up working on my background fluff. :D

Crazyivanov30 Mar 2016 4:11 a.m. PST

Minor Quibble, the police are named after Aliens Marines right?

Then why is the black sergeant Frost and not Apone?

Amalric Inactive Member30 Mar 2016 7:13 a.m. PST

DOH!
my bad…
:)

Part time gamer07 Feb 2017 2:49 a.m. PST

I love it!! You put 'humanity' into these characters (little girl/her mom). I was afraid she was one of those in the building. (

Crazyivanov
the police are named after Aliens Marines right?
Then why is the black sergeant Frost and not Apone?
Caught that as I read the officers names (thought) 'too cool'. Great game & tribute to a great movie.
As for character switch, just figured it was done to 'change things up'.

Im going to ask a ? here & at AAR 9 (the latest listed) and post it there also.
Where and What Scale are the Police cars? These are all 25's right, not really well done 15-18mm.

I said back on the now gone WGF forum.
A Police set would've been great for there "Dark Future" line.
Ever see ANY zombie apoc film that didnt have at least ONE police-zombie clash?

As Frost. No one did what had/should be done and 'finished him'.
So.. will he be coming back? But if so, undead.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.