Help support TMP

"Converted SF Containers And Crates For 15mm?" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

Back to the Conversions Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

1,054 hits since 21 Jun 2014
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2014 10:36 p.m. PST

I've seen square wooden blocks turned into containers and crates:

TMP link

However, I'm thinking more along the lines of (easily paintable) acrylic beads.

These 7mm corrugated ones come to mind, from past discussions:

picture

picture

auction

I also like these hexagonal ones (15mm x 9mm, hole: 7mm), perhaps with a styrene "lid" made with a hole puncher:

picture

auction
auction

And these (8mm long, 6mm wide, hole: 3mm):

picture

auction
auction
auction

These might even work for something SF-ish:

picture

auction

picture

auction

picture

auction

picture

auction

picture

auction

QUESTION:

But what else have you guys found to make interesting SF-ish containers and crates for 15mm?

Dan

Goober23 Jun 2014 1:07 a.m. PST

Dunno about crates and containers, but they'd make great sections for modular fleet scale spacecraft.

Cyclopeus Inactive Member23 Jun 2014 2:31 a.m. PST

Those look great.

Try looking at a circuit board the next time some device breaks down. I have found the resistors and other electro-bits to be quite handy, and they don't require conversion.

War Monkey23 Jun 2014 3:41 a.m. PST

Wow those are all great finds, and they would work just find IMO, this crystal looking one could work as sci Fi terrain objects in your mining tunnels :D

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2014 4:15 a.m. PST

These might even work for something SF-ish:

I have some of those in clear red I was going to use as part of not-Tholians. Had some faceted globe beads to put on the end.

I thought they could look a bit 'molten'.

Most of the beads I look at now are for containers, but very non-Modern. Ancient jugs and pots, don't you know.

Doug

No Such Agency Inactive Member23 Jun 2014 8:04 a.m. PST

picture

Very handy if you require additional pylons!

[Img]http://img.bhs4.com/5e/6/5e68c0467defd944539347f925e2770ea8346d60_small.jpg

…for example.

Grignotage23 Jun 2014 9:43 a.m. PST

Good ideas all. I was planning on getting some of those wooden beads but hadn't thought of trying the other shapes. Next trip to Hobby Lobby will involve some bead browsing.

I've used simple wooden blocks with details painted on--small, dice-sized ones work.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2014 9:48 a.m. PST

"I've used simple wooden blocks with details painted on--small, dice-sized ones work."

The small wooden cubes work too. Just glue a square sequin to each side and paint up!

Dan

Grignotage24 Jun 2014 6:59 a.m. PST

@Cacique…brilliant idea with the sequins!

War Monkey24 Jun 2014 2:38 p.m. PST

The small wooden cubes work too. Just glue a square sequin to each side and paint up!

That a great idea! ;D

grommet37 Inactive Member24 Jun 2014 3:56 p.m. PST

Dan,

What immediately comes to mind for me is what great greebles these would make for your spaceship interiors, asteroid mining complexes, or even elite colonial governor's residences.

Who is to say that these are not fittings, pumps, reactors, 3d printers, fabricators, cooling chambers, et cetera?

Definitely using them for containers is a great idea, but I think you could find many other uses for detailing your environments in other ways, not just as scatter.

Cheers.

sean68333 Inactive Member25 Jun 2014 5:40 a.m. PST

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of medical things (I don't know what they are supposed to be) that his company makes. These didn't meet specs so he gave them to me. I painted them up to be used in my sci-fi games.

I could see these being used as part of a scratch built ship as well.

TMP link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.