Help support TMP

"Foundry/Casting Room figures" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

684 hits since 28 Jun 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

bruntonboy28 Jun 2013 11:17 p.m. PST

Anyone seen the new (to me anyhow) Rob Baker designed French and British figures for the Seven Years War? If so any advice on their size in comparisson to other manufacturers ranges. I have some Galloping Major and Redoubt as well as North Star all fairly hefty figures but these regulars look good, I juat don't wnat them loking like midgets next to my existing figures..

For some reason the Frenchies only seem to appeear on their e-bay listings and I can't find them on the Foundry website. Very strange, presumably they are really, really new.

clibinarium29 Jun 2013 3:56 a.m. PST

They've been around for a while. With the shake up at Foundry recently, they announced that some of the sculpts done in recent years don't match up well with their back catalogue and these would be phased out of the site listings but still be available from the "Casting Room" on ebay.

clibinarium29 Jun 2013 4:07 a.m. PST

Found it on the website;

Removing Substandard and UnFoundrylike Models.

From some point after 2005, a number of the new models made at Foundry were of either of a substandard quality or inappropriate in style.
It may seem strange to condemn a model soldier for "inappropriateness": but Foundry was originally founded when Cliff Ansell (my grandfather) took over the manufacturing of early Citadel historical models that would otherwise have been discontinued. Foundry started with a selection of mostly models by Michael and Alan Perry, and various odds and ends from Alistair Morrison and Dave Andrews. Since then Foundry has always stuck to a style that reflects the work of the early Citadel sculptors: Adams, Andrews, Ansell, Bibby, Goodwin, Morrison, Naismith and the Perrys.

Where a model obviously doesn't fit that style, we think that it really should be taken out of the Foundry ranges. We think that our customers have a right to expect us to maintain a consistent general style.
We have already removed the hundreds of packs of Napoleonic models that were made over the last seven years to replace Michael and Alan's ranges. We currently have no plans to put them back in production.

We will shortly start taking down all the models on our website that we regard as "UnFoundrylike".
We will continue to manufacture these models permanently, but will give them their own independent website with a new name. Until we sort a new website out we will put them up on eBay ("THE CASTING ROOM: Budget Wargames Miniatures!"). As they go up on eBay, we will remove them from our main website.

link

bruntonboy29 Jun 2013 4:38 a.m. PST

I see, that explains it. Still would like to know the size of them though as they look like nice figures.

altfritz Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2013 5:14 a.m. PST

They are generally "big" and the faces are caricatures.

de Ligne Sponsoring Member of TMP29 Jun 2013 5:17 a.m. PST

Chunky best discribes them. Look at my blog (under tabs SYW French and Brits) and you will see most of them painted up.

nigbilpainter.blogspot.fr

The British range is marginally better than the French one.

Personal logo Dom Skelton Sponsoring Member of TMP29 Jun 2013 7:34 a.m. PST

Yep big and beefy – I had a bunch of the British a few years back, but offloaded them as they didn't mix well with my existing stuff – nice figures, but very chunky.

Luke Warm29 Jun 2013 7:59 a.m. PST

If you like your figures with funny faces & very large hands then you won't be disappointed ;-)

bruntonboy29 Jun 2013 8:07 a.m. PST

Cheers guys.

spontoon Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2013 8:36 a.m. PST

I've found them not a bad match with Front Rank.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.