Help support TMP

"looking for a good free set of ww1 aerial rules!" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Biplanes Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Discussion Message Board

597 hits since 26 Jun 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

aapch4526 Jun 2013 9:11 p.m. PST

Hey folks, this is not my neck of the woods… usually I spend my time killing Romans.
But here I am!
So every Sunday the group of guys I game with plays certain games… battlecry, merchants and maurauders, wings of war, check your six…. then every week someone brings new rules to try. Hail Caesar didn't go over well… no guns. And now its my turn for game rules.
So I'm in my second favorite time period, looking for some good aerial combat rules. Suggestions?
Also, where could I pick up some cheap 1/300 scale aircraft?
Are the kits easy to put together?
Or should I go with 1/72 kits?

Sundance Supporting Member of TMP26 Jun 2013 9:19 p.m. PST

You used to be able to find an unofficial variation of the Blue Sky series for WWI on-line called Blue Skies, Wood and Canvas. Not sure if it's still around – I think John Stanoch asked them to remove it but you might be able to find it with the way back machine.

There is also Canvas Eagles which is similar to CY6!, though not exactly the same (CY6! actually grew out of CE/Blue Max/and a WWII variant, IIRC).

1/300 WWI is available from Shapeways and from Heroics and Ros. Tumbling Dice do 1/600 WWI which are small but considerably cheaper.

John Thomas8 Supporting Member of TMP26 Jun 2013 9:23 p.m. PST

Too bad you want free. Maybe pay somebody that took the time to write useable rules. TFL has a neat set in one of their specials called Algernon Pulls A Fast One, a really good WWI air combat game. It's in the Summer Special 2009 and I've ran several games with it, even replacing hexes with inches, and it rocks: plays fast and planes go down in flames.

I use WoW planes, already painted and ready to fly.

Mako1126 Jun 2013 9:36 p.m. PST

Canvas Eagles/Blue Max.

Knight's Cross for the WWII version (Yahoo Group deletes the ', if I recall correctly).

For WWI, I highly recommend 1/144th scale models. The best of both worlds, and perfect for the period.

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member26 Jun 2013 10:04 p.m. PST

Instant Spandaus.
link
link
link

My 1600-3mm Miniature Aircraft Wargaming Yahoo Group
link

Toaster26 Jun 2013 11:02 p.m. PST

There is a WWI varient for Mustangs called Flying Circus warflag.com/mustangs free and the WWII version plays well.

Robert

MajorB27 Jun 2013 1:47 a.m. PST

So every Sunday the group of guys I game with plays certain games … wings of war,

So why not just join in with that? The rules are very simple.

Dexter Ward27 Jun 2013 2:02 a.m. PST

Canvas Eagles is a very good set (based on the old GDW Blue Max game) and is free.

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2013 2:53 a.m. PST

For free I will add my vote for Canvas Eagles. As for planes, for 1/300 I usually go with Heroics and Ros. They are quite inexpensive and usually well done, though a bit fiddly. I don´t know about a US distributor though.

@Major Bumsore-
In his original post he stated it was his turn to bring something new, thus WoW would not qualify as they have already played it.

MajorB27 Jun 2013 3:21 a.m. PST

In his original post he stated it was his turn to bring something new, thus WoW would not qualify as they have already played it.

Ah! I missed that. However in that case I think he will have a job on his hands to find a set of rules that appeal more than WoW.

Sundance Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2013 3:55 a.m. PST

The Last Square in Madison, WI sells the H&R planes and they generally have excellent service

Light Horseman Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2013 3:59 a.m. PST

Another vote for the fun and free canvas eagles rules!

GilmoreDK Inactive Member27 Jun 2013 4:30 a.m. PST

Canvas Eagles

Over the lines:
poeland.com/OverTheLines

Don Glewwes set:
link

In Clouds of Glory:
icog.dk/ICOG/Main_page.html

All of them plays out well with 1/285 – 1/350 scale planes for a much better ground to model scale relation than 1/144 (unless you use a really big playing surface and upscale alle maneuver templates/hex sizes and ranges by a factor 3 or more ). Also do consider models from Shapeways as they come as one piece prints = No assembly needed. There is a lot of types available in diverse scales with 1/144 (100+ types) and 1/350 ( 70+ types).

For fast (and fun) beer and pretzels style play: WoW

gweirda Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2013 5:25 a.m. PST

Just in case someone is crazy enough to look my way, the current (though not latest version) link is link .

For out-of-the-box ease, the WoW/G prepaints (1/144) are good (if a bit pricey).

I prefer smaller stuff (1/300-1/350), and though my collection is dominated by them, I'd stay away from the H&R 1/300 line: too fiddly for assembly for a flivver. I'll second Svend's recommendation for the Shapeways option.

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2013 7:22 a.m. PST

Other options for 1/300 are Skytrex (not sure if they're still for sale) and Irregular (not the best looking, but they have a couple not available elsewhere). In 1/285 there's CinC, very pretty but they are so fiddly they make H&R look like kids' puzzles. If you can find them around in old bargin bins or ebay, Goblintooth made my favourite WWI miniatures, a good balance between fiddly and pretty.

Most of my collection is H&R as they're reasonably complete, filled in by the above manufacturers and Shapeways, which can be fiddly too – I'm afraid to breathe on my Vickers Gunbuses!

For rules I have Algernon Pulls It Off.

GilmoreDK Inactive Member27 Jun 2013 7:26 a.m. PST

Hi Boy Wundyr x..

Just a note on the Shapeways FUD models. Before painting you can easily reinforce them by adding a small amount of cyano acrylate glue to the typical weak points. After rinsing them from the supporting wax, add a small drop of glue (the thin runny kind) to the wheel axles, where struts meets the wings and a thin layer to the girder structure.

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2013 7:35 a.m. PST

There are a dozen free WW1 air rules here:

link

aapch4527 Jun 2013 7:43 a.m. PST

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have downloaded all of the free options and am going to read through each. So far my favorite is knights of the sky.
Blue Max is interesting, might fill my gap.
I'm excited to try these out.

The h&r kits for 1/300 look promising!

Timmo uk27 Jun 2013 10:49 a.m. PST

@ John Thomas

"TFL has a neat set in one of their specials called Algernon Pulls A Fast One, a really good WWI air combat game. It's in the Summer Special 2009 and I've ran several games with it, even replacing hexes with inches, and it rocks: plays fast and planes go down in flames."

Thank you, I glad you enjoy the game so much.

@ The aapch45, if you did fancy trying these rules the PDF Special in which they appear is only £5.00 GBP or £6.00 GBP If you buy them the entire fee goes towards keeping TFL in business and writing and developing more games.

aapch4527 Jun 2013 8:57 p.m. PST

Gweirda: WAD is probably what we are going to play. Its different enough to have some variation, but close enough to our other games to be easily presented and played.
Timmo
I might actually take you up on that, because the rules get a ton of praise, but for right now I just need a free game to throw together on Sunday.

gweirda Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2013 6:03 a.m. PST

aapch45: If you'd like the latest version (and assorted aides and/or advice) send me an email – gweirda at yahoo dot com.

Also, some AARs and such can be viewed at link

gweirda Supporting Member of TMP30 Jun 2013 6:34 a.m. PST

"…to throw together on Sunday."

If an attempt is/was made to play WAD, I'd be very interested in how it went over (or under) with your group.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.