Help support TMP

"Israel first country to receive F-35 stealth jet fighter" Topic

21 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Aviation Discussion Message Board

881 hits since 21 Jun 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Chortle Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian21 Jun 2013 11:03 p.m. PST

Israel's Air Force can start preparing the runways after the vice president of Lockheed Martin, Steve O'Bryan, announced on Tuesday at the Paris Air Show that Israel will be the first country to receive the F-35 American-made stealth fighter jet.

The state-of-the-art fighter aircraft, the first of which are scheduled to be delivered to Israel at the end of 2016, are also expected to be fitted with an Israeli "twist."

The first of 20 versatile, single-engine F-35s, ordered by Israel in October 2010 at a cost of $2.75 USD billion, are scheduled to arrive in 2016 at the earliest, but the Air Force is already setting up a new infrastructure to absorb the stealth jets.

Ultimately, the Israeli Air Force wants 75 F-35s. These will replace Lockheed Martin's F-16I Sufas and Boeing's F-15 Ra'ams as the strategic strike force.

The Air Force currently has 100 Sufas and 25 Ra'ams, backed by about 185 lower performance F-16 Fighting Falcons and F-15 Eagles.

link

kyotebluer than blue Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:09 p.m. PST

Hum..

Personal logo 28mm Fanatik Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:52 p.m. PST

I thought the US was the first country. Didn't the Marines already start their first F-35B squadron?

Mako1122 Jun 2013 1:53 a.m. PST

I hope they are not terribly disappointed.

Personal logo Chortle Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian22 Jun 2013 2:08 a.m. PST

"I hope they are not terribly disappointed."

This is a freebie. So they can't complain too loudly.

Rhino Co22 Jun 2013 4:38 a.m. PST

Marines are considered the "closest coalition partner" in Afghanistan. I think they received one or two F-35s and I wouldn't be surprised if other countries got them first.

Personal logo Ron W DuBray Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2013 6:05 a.m. PST

I think they mean the first non US county.

Legion 422 Jun 2013 7:53 a.m. PST

It will help with the production costs, if the IAF buys 75 too …

Personal logo aegiscg47 Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2013 9:24 a.m. PST

THe IAF heavily modifies the aircraft they receive as well. I knew someone on the F-16 transition team that went to Israel with the first shipments. They said the first thing the Israelis did was take out half of the avionics and replace them with their own!

jpattern2 Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2013 9:43 a.m. PST

I'm getting the distinct impression, in this topic and others, that Mako1 doesn't like the F35. laugh

David Manley22 Jun 2013 10:02 a.m. PST

The UK has some already.

justBill22 Jun 2013 11:59 a.m. PST

American tax payers say "You're Welcome, Israel".

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2013 12:26 p.m. PST

Considering that military expenditures return almost a 1:1 ratio return to the economy, I should think that Israel is helping us too; no?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2013 1:02 p.m. PST

I have one too. It's a verra nice!

Mako1122 Jun 2013 2:56 p.m. PST

"I'm getting the distinct impression, in this topic and others, that Mako1 doesn't like the F35".

Now where would you get a silly idea like that?

Apparently, it is the BEST single-engined, slow, poorly armed, 5G capable (1960's era maneuverability), $220 USD mil a copy, American-built stealth jet, currently in development, our hard-earned tax dollars can buy.

Of course, I'm quick to point out, it's the only one as well.

Perhaps the designers have low-balled the performance expectations on this one, so they can rave about those of its needed replacement, when they start marketing it to the government.

Dee Jay Inactive Member22 Jun 2013 3:05 p.m. PST

If it's performance is really as you say, why would Israel want to buy it?

Mako1122 Jun 2013 4:16 p.m. PST

I'm wondering that too, though has been pointed out, they may be "buying" it with funds we gave them for defense, so the term "buying" isn't really appropriate.

Personal logo Chortle Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian22 Jun 2013 7:14 p.m. PST

"I have one too. It's a verra nice!"

I'm 3D printing mine at the moment.

Considering that military expenditures return almost a 1:1 ratio return to the economy, I should think that Israel is helping us too; no?

If the money was spent building infrastructure, or factories in the US, it would create a return for years to come as well as creating jobs. This is the answer to the "paying money to be bought" argument. In the same way, China could turn around and use it's production to improve facilities and living standards in their country rather than exporting to the west in return for paper/shiny beads. I'm not suggesting China build more cities in the middle of nowhere grin

They said the first thing the Israelis did was take out half of the avionics and replace them with their own!

What do they replace? Avionics covers a lot of ground. I wonder what they do with the items they take out – hopefully they don't sell them to China!

Dee Jay Inactive Member23 Jun 2013 2:02 a.m. PST

I'm wondering that too, though has been pointed out, they may be "buying" it with funds we gave them for defense, so the term "buying" isn't really appropriate.

Lets forget the "buying" aspect, if the F35 is as bad as you say, why would Israel want to replace some of their F15s and F16s with a lemon?

Jemima Fawr23 Jun 2013 7:07 a.m. PST

The UK took delivery of its first F-35 a year ago:

link

ThomasHobbes23 Jun 2013 5:24 p.m. PST

Dutch have also taken delivery of 2 F-35s though both are in storage.

Next batch being funded (LRIP 8 from memory) includes 2 Australian and 4 Italian birds.

What do they replace?

With Israeli developed avionics. Israel is a world leader in military avionics and weaponry.

These have even been exported to US (e.g. Litening targeting pods).

The designation for Israeli F-35s is not F-35A/B/C but rather F-35I to reflect Israeli electronics fit.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.