Help support TMP

"British Colours" Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

746 hits since 20 Jun 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ferg98121 Jun 2013 4:15 a.m. PST

Guys

As you are looking straight at a battalion, would the kings colour be on the right or the left?

Thanks

F

Personal logo Fonzie Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 4:24 a.m. PST

Like this

picture

Fons
mmps.asia

ferg98121 Jun 2013 4:28 a.m. PST

Thanks

Outlaw Tor21 Jun 2013 5:00 a.m. PST

But remember that for the Guards, their King's colours look like others Regimental colours and their Regimental colours look like others King's colours, sigh. So would be the reverse of the above.

ferg98121 Jun 2013 5:51 a.m. PST

Lol

Good job I wasn't doing guards!

F

Supercilius Maximus21 Jun 2013 6:28 a.m. PST

Another big plus for the above picture is that it shows the colour poles the correct length, rather than the ECW/TYW pikes that some wargamers seem to fly theirs from. The real life poles were barely 10 feet from the tip of the spearpoint to the toe-end of the butt, and hence there was about 3 feet of the lower end of the staff left exposed when the 6 feet high colour was fixed.

For those wanting uber-accuracy, the flags were usually carried into action half-furled (or half-unfurled if you prefer), so that the central badge/regimental number was just visible next to the staff. This reduced the effect of any wind on the flag, giving the ensign more control, and also allowing him to draw and use his sword (or a pistol) in defending himself.

Trajanus21 Jun 2013 8:41 a.m. PST

For those wanting uber-accuracy, the flags were usually carried into action half-furled (or half-unfurled if you prefer), so that the central badge/regimental number was just visible next to the staff. This reduced the effect of any wind on the flag, giving the ensign more control, and also allowing him to draw and use his sword (or a pistol) in defending himself.

Any doubters should be made to carry a 6ft x 6ft 6in replica, at full fly, in a reasonable breeze!

Supercilius Maximus21 Jun 2013 9:21 a.m. PST

Indeed. There are accounts of younger ensigns being blown over whilst struggling to hold onto fully unfurled colours on parades.

ferg98121 Jun 2013 9:30 a.m. PST

My guys are burly front rank Scots they'll be fine!

F

SJDonovan21 Jun 2013 9:31 a.m. PST

I'm all for accuracy but I buy my flags from GMB and they are true works of art so I am blowed if I am going to wrap half of them round the flagstaff!

Garde de Paris Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 9:49 a.m. PST

"Back in the Day," Charles Stadden made a fine 30mm set of British at Waterloo, most defending. There was an ensign with the flag pole based on the ground, left arm extended upward at 45 degree angle, and hidden withing the colour, and essentially partly furled. A fine figure, but very heavy and not too popular with our group. I hope this link works for the figure at Tradition Scandanvia:

link

Figures seem to be the same height as Victrix British, but not a stocky.

GdeP

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 9:57 a.m. PST

Any doubters should be made to carry a 6ft x 6ft 6in replica, at full fly, in a reasonable breeze!

At a parade review at Fort Hood, TX, I was in the squadron staff behind our color party. As we led the pass in review (cavalry squadron always was the "right guide" unit), we also had the US flag as well as the regimental colors. The four man color guard had to link arms to prevent the very stiff breeze from blowing the two color bearers away. The flag staffs were actually bending from the wind blown weight of the flags!

Jim

Trajanus21 Jun 2013 11:36 a.m. PST

I'm all for accuracy but I buy my flags from GMB and they are true works of art so I am blowed if I am going to wrap half of them round the flagstaff!

Then of course there's the question of how you get a paper flag half wrapped round a flagstaff!

I remember some nightmare painting attempts back in the days when flags used to be cast in this position!

AICUSV21 Jun 2013 12:58 p.m. PST

My ACW re-enacting group was during a parade one time on a very windy day. The color bearer was get hit in the face with the corner of the color. So, he grabbed hold of the corner to stop it, well it turned the color into a sail and lifted him off the ground.

Supercilius Maximus22 Jun 2013 3:30 a.m. PST

<<Then of course there's the question of how you get a paper flag half wrapped round a flagstaff!>>

Seen it done two ways – one, make it out of fabric (normal handkerchief material will usually be enough); or two, make the "wrapped" half out of putty – which you can then mould to represent folds etc – then cut the paper flag at the appropriate place, and either glue it onto the "roll", and/or work it into the putty itself for a stronger anchor.

von Winterfeldt22 Jun 2013 3:34 a.m. PST

great information about the colours – so half wrap from now on ;-)).

Clays Russians22 Jun 2013 6:52 a.m. PST

bravo trajanus, bravo. just because its silk and/or taffeta, the colors (colours) weigh a ton in even a light moderste breeze. and the pole inst balsa wood either.

Trajanus22 Jun 2013 1:37 p.m. PST

and the pole inst balsa wood either

Kind of a self fulfilment on that one – the flag weighs a ton, and any wind bends the pole so much you end up carrying a small tree so the staff won't snap! :o)

Trajanus22 Jun 2013 1:39 p.m. PST

and the pole inst balsa wood either

Kind of a self fulfilment on that one – the flag weighs a ton, and any wind bends the pole so much you end up carrying a small tree so the staff won't snap! :o)

I wonder how many people watch Trooping the Colour every year and think that's the size of a battle flag?

Clays Russians22 Jun 2013 2:36 p.m. PST

I wonder how many people watch Trooping the Colour every year and think that's the size of a battle flag?

as we say in Kentucky, "it aint'"

Last Hussar22 Jun 2013 2:47 p.m. PST

I'm with SJDonovan. Its about table top appearance- fly my pretties fly

Supercilius Maximus23 Jun 2013 4:40 a.m. PST

<<I wonder how many people watch Trooping the Colour every year and think that's the size of a battle flag?>>

And if you watch(ed) this year's parade, you'll have seen the ensign struggling even to bring that small colour back under control during the slow march past, in what were not ideal conditions, but certainly not that windy.

Last Hussar23 Jun 2013 8:55 a.m. PST

OK. I promise as soon as my Standard bearers complain, I'll discuss it with them.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.