Help support TMP

"What's your Nerdworth?" Topic

30 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Utter Drivel Message Board

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

843 hits since 21 Jun 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 4:47 a.m. PST

Since we were talking about counting miniatures, why not do so in the only way that matters … money!?!? So guess at how much you have invested (paid) for your horde over the years.

I would guess I've put about $500 USD-600 per year for the last 10 years, with negigable accumulation before that. I would also estimate that I'm 15-20% under in my estimate, so …

$7,200 USD / 10 years

* Actually, now that I write it, the fiscal value of unpainted minis you currently have is a decent metric against which to judge the validity of another purchase.

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 5:03 a.m. PST

I don't like to think about this topic !

It only leads to guilt, anxiety, and more spending to cheer myself up.

SJDonovan21 Jun 2013 5:10 a.m. PST

I have no idea.

But I do know that my collection of figures is worth far more to me than I would ever get for them if I sold them.

Personal logo taskforce58 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 5:25 a.m. PST

I'm with 20thmaine on this.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 6:06 a.m. PST

Be afraid, be very afraid before you do that math.

Old Slow Trot21 Jun 2013 6:35 a.m. PST

Hard to say. Over the years,possibly around a few hundred here,a few hundred there and as the late US Senator Everett Dirksen observed, "soon you're talking about real money ."

Jovian121 Jun 2013 6:58 a.m. PST

$50,000 USD plus over the past 35 years. That is a very rough estimate.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 7:03 a.m. PST

What a depressing way to waste my time. grin

Last Hussar21 Jun 2013 7:36 a.m. PST

I've just spent 7800 10mil on a new kitchen. Apparently we HAD to have a dishwasher. Paint and tiles cost me a 1000 pendrakens

jdpintex21 Jun 2013 7:52 a.m. PST

I've bought what I've wanted for the last twenty years, but no where near what I could have.

The shelves haven't broken so obviously I haven't spent too much.

And you only counted the cost of your lead. What about supplies and more importantly your time.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 8:15 a.m. PST

And you only counted the cost of your lead. What about supplies and more importantly your time.

Yeah, supplies are consumables vice captial assets, and become part of the total value which, as mentioned above, is well nigh impossible to calculate (and somewhat meaningless if you don't intend to sell). From a "should I buy more minis?" standpoint, you would really calcaulate consumables as part of the cost of more not the value of what you have.

I consider the time I spend painting as a benefit, not a cost.

kreoseus221 Jun 2013 11:15 a.m. PST

Every gamer will come Up with the same two figures, too much and not enough.

Personal logo Rrobbyrobot Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:25 a.m. PST

Probably enough to purchase a small country in Africa, or the Caribbean.

Personal logo Rrobbyrobot Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:27 a.m. PST

Mind you, I probably saved myself a lot of trouble buying miniatures instead. Look what Murphy goes through…

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:30 a.m. PST

My wife tallies my spending each year during tax time. I average between $3 USD and $5,000 USD in spending each year (since 1987) (which includes research books, computer and board games!).

I'm trying desperately to curb my spending do to a decrease in my income, but I'm just a good old fashioned sucker for the shiney stuff ;-)

Personal logo John the Greater Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 12:25 p.m. PST

I bought my first box of Airfix "army men" in 1962 and can safely say I have made purchases every year since. Not indexed for inflation I would say I have spent a pile of money, indexed for inflation, a Bleeped text load.

GarrisonMiniatures Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 12:46 p.m. PST

I decline to comment on the grounds I may incriminate myself.

But it's a lot.

Brian Smaller21 Jun 2013 2:05 p.m. PST

Look, just tell her you could be in to motor racing or any number of money swallowing past times.

Wargaming is cheap compared to most 'hobbies' when you consider the entertainment value you get out of your money – the search for a model, the purchase, the sitting on the shelf unpainted time, the painting, the gaming, the admiring, the thinking that you need to upgrade to a newer version of the model. By comparison a dinner out with the wife costs more than a battalion of lead miniatures and is over in two hours, and there is still no guarantee of a happy ending.

Personal logo wrgmr1 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 5:34 p.m. PST

Over the years, more than I should have, but I've learned to sell a lot as well.

tkdguy21 Jun 2013 7:04 p.m. PST

You need to include the cost of paint, brushes, etc. as well as the miniatures.

Rules should count too. But just wargames, or are role-playing or card games as well?

bandit86 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 7:12 p.m. PST

Few thousand a year

Personal logo J Womack 94 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:29 p.m. PST

I am tracking it as closely as I can this year on my blog. I am over $1,700 USD already. That does include the airfare to Historicon, though. But not the car, the room, or any of the toys bought – since that money hasn't been spent yet. I am not going to count the food, because I would have eaten anyway.

Patrick Sexton Supporting Member of TMP25 Jun 2013 9:26 a.m. PST

Well, I think it would have bought me at least one 2013 Shelby GT500.

When I think of it like that it gets mildly depressing.

:)

Zephyr125 Jun 2013 2:30 p.m. PST

At least 20K of WH40K (mostly pre-2001 prices.) My poor deluded brother wonders why I don't sell off my collection (considering that the collector value has at least doubled.) I gave up trying to explain to him that I didn't buy the stuff as an investment, but because I liked it….

vojvoda Inactive Member25 Jun 2013 9:59 p.m. PST

I have been doing miniatures and Historical gaming and military history since the early 70s even at a conservative estimate it would be low to mid five figure. But I have been in the hobby a long long time.

VR
James Mattes

britishlinescarlet225 Jun 2013 11:29 p.m. PST

Less than my wife has spent on clothes and shoes.

snurl126 Jun 2013 2:18 a.m. PST

Lately zero. I decided about two years ago to get cracking on my unpainted montain of lead. So aside from a few cans of primer and a few bottles of paint, nada.

But then again I did back the Dwarven Forge kickstarter a few months ago for a few hundred…..

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2013 5:09 a.m. PST

At least 20K of WH40K (mostly pre-2001 prices.)

Half way there then ? grin

Personal logo Dasher Supporting Member of TMP25 Feb 2014 11:18 p.m. PST

Not counting time spent painting (incalculable), approximately $250,000.00 USD, according to my insurance company's Rare Collectibles Appraiser.
I bought my first game, PanzerBlitz, 41 years ago. I still have it, it's still in excellent condition, and I have parted with nothing I acquired since. And I mean "nothing".
That is a lot of stuff…

PVT64126 Feb 2014 6:16 a.m. PST

SJ is correct!

"But I do know that my collection of figures is worth far more to me than I would ever get for them if I sold them."

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.