Help support TMP

"Historical Gaming" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Magazines and Periodicals Message Board

543 hits since 30 Mar 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

jony663 Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2013 3:15 p.m. PST

What do you consider the most important magazines out there for historical gaming?

Jon
greenfieldsbeyond.wordpress.com

Ed Mohrmann Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2013 4:29 p.m. PST

Battlegames

Miniature Wargames

WSS

Wargames Illustrated

(Not necessarily in that order)

Ottoathome30 Mar 2013 5:03 p.m. PST

The Journal of Military History.

Militia Pete Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2013 5:31 p.m. PST

Loved the Seven Years War Journal. I don't think it is in circulation after Mr. Mitchell sadly passed.

Wargames Illustrated

Personal logo War Artisan Sponsoring Member of TMP30 Mar 2013 6:12 p.m. PST

Militia Pete,

It has been on hiatus since that sad event, but is about to resume publication under the editorship of Jim McIntyre. I know little about the contents of the first new issue, except that it reportedly contains an article on the Battle of Sandershausen by Alex Burns. We hope to find out more, and possibly even see it at the 30th Annual SYWA convention a week from now.

I would agree with Ed's list (for now).

Jeff

FusilierDan Supporting Member of TMP30 Mar 2013 6:14 p.m. PST

MWAN TMP link

Wargames Soldiers and Stratagy

Personal logo Dale Hurtt Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member30 Mar 2013 6:24 p.m. PST

The Courier (you can still buy them on Wargame Vault)

Slingshot (it has real history in it, not just potted histories)

I suppose it is really all about what you are looking for. There was an interesting Meeples and Miniatures podcast with Henry Hyde about the "merger" of Battlegames with Miniature Wargames. Of particular interest was the conversations Henry related about what the new owners thought about MW and what its content was like. (We shall see if Henry's stewardship will change it from what wat is to something better.) If you like a very short "taste" of history, some ideas about wargaming it, then possibly some rules to wargame it with a ruleset you probably don't use, buy the MW CD or back issues.

I would argue that Battlegames was not the sort of magazine that went in for describing the history of the periods gamed, but does that make it less important to "historical gaming"? The more I think about it, the more I am not even sure what you are asking. Is the emphasis on which magazines – that talk about historical gaming – the best, or which gaming magazines talk about history best?

Personal logo vojvoda Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member31 Mar 2013 5:26 a.m. PST

TMP

If you can not get a list of references or information directly you probably can not find it anywhere.

MWAN was great reading about the hobby more then historical background. Once again it depends on the area of interest. For me I enjoy the eye candy and general layout of Wargames Illustrated. But only pick it up when I see it and when there is a series of articles I am interested in.

VR
James Mattes

vonLoudon02 Apr 2013 9:30 a.m. PST

I loved Practical Wargamer, Battle, and MWAN. Today I like
Battlegames, Mini-wargs, and WSS. I would really love a general horse and musket publication from about 1750 to 1870. If you want to add Marlborough, that's okay too.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.