Help support TMP

"Volunteers of Ireland flag" Topic

21 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

712 hits since 9 Feb 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Stacky Inactive Member09 Feb 2013 4:58 p.m. PST

With the Perrys recent release of the superb 28mm metal Volunteers of Ireland figures, I've been inspired to paint up this unit. I've got the relevant information regarding the unique uniforms but can't find anything regarding the regimental flag. I assume the field would be green but I have no information regarding any device. Does anyone have any references for this flag?

Rallynow09 Feb 2013 6:10 p.m. PST
Mapleleaf Inactive Member09 Feb 2013 7:28 p.m. PST

Link for Loyalist Info

link

Stacky Inactive Member10 Feb 2013 3:04 a.m. PST

Thanks for that……I must have missed that thread. I certainly like the idea of a golden harp with a scroll below.

95thRegt10 Feb 2013 4:09 p.m. PST

The Flag dude makes a set. I have them. Very nice!!

Bob

45thdiv Supporting Member of TMP10 Feb 2013 5:16 p.m. PST

Looking forward to seeing these painted, front and back. If I get these it will have to be next year.

Matthew

Mr Martyn11 Feb 2013 10:23 a.m. PST

Gmb designs have co firmed that he is currently working on a set

Thomas Mante Supporting Member of TMP12 Feb 2013 5:27 p.m. PST

I wonder what the GmB and Flag Dude versions show? If the regiment ever got to carrying colours then it would be in accordance with the warrant (1768 iteration but based on the 1747 version, re-affirmed in 1751): Kings, Great Union and regimental colour in green with union flag in the upper canton.

It would be tempting to have a nice big crowned harp in the centre of the the wreath of roses and thistles . However the warrant specifically prohibits this "No Colonel is to put his arms, crest, device, or livery, on any part of the appointments of the regiment under his command" see here:

fifedrum.org/crfd/1768.htm

Later on the VoI became part of the 105th Regt, but that was very much after their active period.

The following design appears to be based on conjecture based on a Queens Rangers concept, but it still strikes me as conjecture.

link

95thRegt12 Feb 2013 6:51 p.m. PST

Thomas,its essentially the same as the Queens Ranger color,but green,and says 2nd American Regt. in a shield.

Bob C.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP12 Feb 2013 10:12 p.m. PST

Oh, pooh.
No harp?

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP13 Feb 2013 8:07 a.m. PST

"Except those regiments which are allowed to wear royal devices, or ancient badges"

Sounds like there is enough wiggle room in the regs to have your harp in the centre. In the absence of any tangible proof to the contrary, who can really argue with your choice.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2013 1:34 p.m. PST

Back off the fence. "As the Colonel shall direct…" gives me all the wiggle room I need to add that Ancient Badge.
Isn't the harp featured on a Royal Regiment?

epturner13 Feb 2013 4:11 p.m. PST

Yes, John.

Eric

Supercilius Maximus13 Feb 2013 4:27 p.m. PST

The 18th (Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot was one of the old corps entitled to a special badge.

fifedrum.org/crfd/BD_1R.htm

Thomas Mante Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2013 6:50 p.m. PST

Alas gentlemen the 14 line regiments permitted their own device or ancient badge are clearly stated in the warrant. Scroll down the first link I posted above. No wriggle room I am afraid unless of course you just want to make it up – in which case feel free, just like Warflag!

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2013 7:41 p.m. PST

The WAGs of the VoI will be the ones sewing up the Colours, and they can add any damn device they want to! grin

Seriosuly, though, I have always said that the Loyalists were "more British than the British". The VoI would have had colours, and I am sure that Lord Rawdon would have provided them. Maybe. grin
I am happy with a green facings flag, and will add a harp if I have to paint it myself.

Supercilius Maximus14 Feb 2013 12:52 a.m. PST

We'll have to prise it from your cold, dead hands, won't we.

[;^)}

Thomas Mante Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2013 3:51 a.m. PST

OFM

Welcome to the World of Warflag grin

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2013 7:18 a.m. PST

At least it won't say "Piss on the Rebels!"

Thomas Mante Supporting Member of TMP15 Feb 2013 5:28 a.m. PST

At least it won't say "Piss on the Rebels!"

OFM

It could do if you want it to wink

Rallynow15 Feb 2013 8:09 a.m. PST

Warflag Lives!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.