Help support TMP

"French Revolution: Grenzers: why such unwieldly lance/stutz" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

514 hits since 22 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Duc de Limbourg Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 12:36 p.m. PST

Why did the Scharfschützen of the grenzers used such an unwieldly lance/stutz for their rifle. Als light infantry it must be very unhandy

TMPWargamerabbit22 Jan 2013 12:56 p.m. PST

It was a rifle rest. A good photo of the weapon shows the "hook" like rest for the grenz to give aimed fire.

I guess if enemy got within HtH range… save the rifle, stab the opponent instead.

Personal logo Meiczyslaw Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 1:03 p.m. PST

This question showed up in an earlier thread.

TMP link

Apparently, the Grenzers needed the rest because their weapon was an over/under, with one barrel being a smoothbore, and the other being rifled, and the whole contraption ridiculously heavy.

(Edited to include link to thread.)

Personal logo Duc de Limbourg Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 2:42 p.m. PST

Thanks,
I know that it is used as a rest for the rifle but the old muskets had smaller rests. Plus the fact is, these scharfschützen were used as skirmishers

von Winterfeldt22 Jan 2013 2:48 p.m. PST

It was not only a rest but could also be used as defence against cavalry.
The Doppelstutzen – one couldn't fix a sowrd or bayonett on it, so the lance / rest for defence

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 4:29 p.m. PST

I wonder how the poor soldiers felt about this brainstorm of their Colonel?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.