Help support TMP

"3mm French Bn" Topic

21 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

951 hits since 22 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 6:30 a.m. PST

At last I have managed to get this completed.

Approx 2:1 ratio with each company on a separate base, 2 command bases and a set of 5 bases for the deployed Voltigeur company.

Bases for the companies are 40x15mm

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

Tony
Tiny Tin Troops

tinytintroops.co.uk

Steve W Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 7:47 a.m. PST

Very nice work

marcin250122 Jan 2013 8:04 a.m. PST

Great work Tony!

Marcin

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 8:06 a.m. PST

If you don't kind me asking, how long did it take to paint all of that?

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 8:41 a.m. PST

If you don't kind me asking, how long did it take to paint all of that?
<q/>

Difficult to say as it was mixed in with other stuff and I painted a fair number of extra bits in case of breakages and so I could change the layouts in need be.

I'd estimate 6-8 hours for this first lot, from unpacking to finished photos. The next lot would take less time, I always do a lot of experimenting with the first batch of stuff I paint.

Macunaima22 Jan 2013 9:19 a.m. PST

That's so sharp my eyes are bleeding, Tony!

doug redshirt Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 9:40 a.m. PST

At first I am thinking Super at showing what space a battalion occupies, then I reread and realize that your ratio was 2 to 1 which means it would actually be twice as wide. Still impressive. My little 16 man battalions just don't compare.

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 9:45 a.m. PST

Beautiful work, very impressive.

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 10:07 a.m. PST

2:1 figure ratio seems to give the best compromise between 1:600 ground scale and correct scale footprint. It isn't perfect and I have simplified the layout to make it easier to achieve but I think it works.

They are not quite as easy to paint as the ACW but the greater detail is compensated to some extent by not having all the variety of uniforms in the Confederates.

This sample was done at the request of a customer, if I was using them myself I think I'd probably go with a Bn per base – I prefer the big battles. A 60x20 base could look pretty impressive with 100 figures on it I think.

Personal logo Narratio Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 11:41 p.m. PST

" 'Tis true, I'm the customer… they're mine! All MINE Do you hear! Bwaaah haah haah hah ha!"

Basically It's a "proof of concept". How to get the flexability of a brigade/division level game AND as much eye candy as humanly possible.

(Come Tony, let us retreat to the Sanctum Sanctorum and discuss cavalry. Waves and waves of cavalry)

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Jan 2013 3:37 a.m. PST

Hi Dave – did you get the pics I sent ? I noticed only now that the e-mail addy was different.

Tony

Personal logo Narratio Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2013 6:29 a.m. PST

Yep, I got. I even replied with comments. I believe the concept is proven. They look darned good.

MarbotsChasseurs23 Jan 2013 11:26 a.m. PST

I really like them! I have always wanted to do something like this in the future. DO you plan on doing any other troops? The battalion looks like the real thing from far away and would be fun to see a brigade/ division game with all the battalions deployed.

Great job

Michael

Macunaima23 Jan 2013 11:40 a.m. PST

For my 3mm set up (which will be geared towards games like LaSalle), I'm going to do 4 base regiments with each base at 20x20mm.

I'm going to paint up some extra bases, however, so that I can do 6 base regiments. I'll also probably do some independent color parties andc whatnot.

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Jan 2013 12:18 p.m. PST

As it now looks like the idea is a goer I will probably start to work out layouts for the cavalry next. I have all the figures issued so far so Dragoons, Curassier and Hussars should appear when I get time between other painting jobs.

Also need to look at Russian Bn/Sqn as well. Austrian also when the command & skirmish figures are released for them.

Ashenduke23 Jan 2013 5:52 p.m. PST

Wow amazing work for that scale. They look great.

EagleSixFive Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2013 11:11 p.m. PST

WOW!

That is Brilliant! Hmmm, looking at my 25mm and 15mm and wondering why I bothered.

Volunteer Fezian23 Jan 2013 11:49 p.m. PST

I just can't fathom painting that small in that detail in 6 to 8 hours. I had to blow these photos up to maximum just to see the perfectly painted sashes, packs, plumes, lord! Even with glasses and magnifier I don't think I could do it in 50 hours. I've got several 2mm packs due in a couple of weeks, after looking at this I'm not sure I'm up to it.

Awesome job!

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP24 Jan 2013 4:23 a.m. PST

Volunteer

Try it when they come and don't be put off by me doing these please. Any result I have achieved is only through practice – and I have been painting 2mm for MANY years now.

Use brighter than real colours and paint enough detail so that the block looks roughly as it is supposed to – meaning (at this scale) that the right colours are in the right places and you can tell front from back.

You can get round things such as facings by showing them on a musician figure for some periods and armies or simply ignore them.

Lets face it, this is an army you are painting, not individual figures – some details that you'd insist on having on 6mm figures just couldn't be seen unless you were marching with the unit in reality so they are not strictly necessary.

Macunaima24 Jan 2013 5:36 a.m. PST

Let me repeat what Tony says for emphasis, because it's important:

You need to use brighter than normal colors. It'll look strange at 10cm distance and perfect at 20.

2-3mm have little surface space so what there is needs to catch the eye. I'm still painting too drab, myself.

So, first rule of the thumb: if you have to ask yourself, "Is this not bright enough yet?" it probably isn't.

The second point, which Tony's figs illustrate, but which he has not yet mentioned: always base in colors which clash with the figures.

It can be a subtle clash or a shocking one, but for heaven's sake, don't base, say, green-painted figures on green flocking!

As you can see in the photos above, Tony's gone for a yellow, finely flocked base with hints of bright green here and there. This clashes perfectly with his figures and higlights them.

Personal logo Narratio Supporting Member of TMP24 Jan 2013 8:44 p.m. PST

The BIG point for me is that at 3mm, or 6mm, you should be filling those bases.

Okay, you could make up small bases of 20 figures and call it a battalion. But that concept equates to fitting them onto a cardboard counter and playing a board game which, I must admit, works well. I've done this for simple games like Risk through to C&C.

These things are not going to be the 28mm master works that grace so many rules and magazines, that's not the intent. Instead the strength is in mass effect. Use 15mm (or 28mm if you've got a big table) figure bases and FILL them!

The concept unit Tony made up with 6 bases in column is 40mm wide and 60mm deep . With 64 figures per base the battalion has 400 figures. It LOOKS like a battalion.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.