Help support TMP

"Looking for 28 mm US Marines and Sailors" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Victorian SF Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Product Reviews Message Board

473 hits since 21 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo kallman Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 3:20 p.m. PST

I am looking at doing some scratch built aeroscaphs for VSF games. For the American forces I would like to find Marines and Sailors that would be appropriate for the late 19th Century. 28 mm figures of course with pros and cons of the various manufactures.

Thanks,

PS while at it same recommendation for other nations such as British, Russian, French, German, and Japanese.

bogdanwaz Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 3:32 p.m. PST

Old Glory has US sailors and marines in their Spanish American war and Pershing in Mexico ranges. In their boxer rebellion range plenty of international troops. Tiger miniatures also have US sailors and marines. The Old Glory are Among their nicer ranges. Tigers tend to be a little on the bulky side

Personal logo wrgmr1 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 4:26 p.m. PST

Bob Murch of Pulp Figures has just what you need.
I've personally seen these painted and they are beautiful figures. Some of the best sculptures in 28mm I've ever seen.

link

Personal logo kallman Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 5:36 p.m. PST

I have some of the Bob Murch Pulp US Sailors and they are nice and have lots of character but are much later in period than I am looking for. After all I do not think the Tommy Gun was around in the 1890's. Not sure when the BAR was brought into production. The Springfields on the other hand would not be out of place. Of course I could move my VSF game more into the early 20th Century and few would raise an eyebrow. I also have the Spanish American War American Infantry from Old Glory and they are very nice but are painted up for my VSF Mars games. The current project is dealing with the colonization of Venus and I felt the Marines would be a better fit than the infantry forces. Hmmm…I think Old Glory does have figures for the conflicts in the Philippines do they not? I also had not thought to look at the Boxer Rebellion figures that is a good suggestion. I also need to find crews for guns such as Gatlings and Cannon.

Jimula21 Jan 2013 6:19 p.m. PST

Any Colonial era minis should have some potential for the British at least, Zulu wars and Sudan etc, also these ranges tend to have a few naval types thrown in both as marines and gatling gun crew.

link

as an example

Nic Robson Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 6:23 p.m. PST

We have somne here link

Nic Eureka Miniatures

Personal logo Bobgnar Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 7:20 p.m. PST

I have never been able to figure out what Headgear is appropriate for US sailors, ratings that is, in the 1880s and 90s. I have seen both round flat top style hat and the Donald Duck style Dixie Cup hat. can anybody give me a answer, With reference?

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 10:13 p.m. PST

@Whitemanticore: If you're going for 1890s time period, no .30cal Springfields (1903), no BARs (1918), and no Tommy guns (1927).

You'd be looking at trapdoor Springfields (.45-70), Krag-Jorgensons (.30-40), and/or the 6mm Navy Lee rifle. The Marines preferred the 6mm Lee rifle because they could carry almost twice the ammunition for the same weight.

Gatlings (.30-40 or .45-70) and Colt M1895 'potato digger' machine-guns (6mm Navy).

As for uniforms, the one-stop shop is: link

That doesn't specify when the Dixie Cup came into service, other than before 1894.

Personal logo kallman Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 1:01 p.m. PST

The Eureka stuff looks great and I see Eureka has a Hotchkiss 3 pounder and Norenfelt both on pedestal bases which I could use on my scratch built ship. The Perry stuff looks great as well. Lion in the Stars thanks for the dates of production of the weapons. I thought those might be too late a period for what I am trying to do.

DLIinVSF23 Jan 2013 3:40 a.m. PST

If you wanted to buy from the UK you could try Tiger Mini's link

Reviresco Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Jan 2013 12:58 p.m. PST

Reviresco makes 28mm US Sailors see: tin-soldier.com/rpg4.html

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.